• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: India Reportedly Bans Crayon Shin-chan from TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Gee, and here I thought Shin-chan was just the next in line of boring children's shows the nasty ol' Americans sliced-up & re-dubbed to turn into something worth selling. Ya learn something new every day ... though now I'm far more irked by not having the uncut/originals as part of the DVD releases.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Gage wrote:
sarsman45 wrote:
who even takes this show seriously?

People of India. Wink
This is funny. A culture that allows infantiside, child prostitution to some god called De-vadasy, and child slavery to some god called greed and his wife called Global Economy, to name but a few, banning a cartoon about a cheeky 5-year-old. What a wonderful world. Rolling Eyes

My sentiments exactly.

Censorship isn't necessarily that crazy in the idea stage. There are things people find uncomfortable, they don't want to deal with them, so they aim to remove them; out of sight, out of mind.

However people who willingly endorse this promote ignorance. To paraphrase Daryl from AWO, "G.I. Joe has people shooting each other and the worst that ever happens is you have to parachute from your helicopter". You have to stop and think a second when you realize that the creative output of a country with a crime rate among the lowest in the world offends the sensibilities of the USA, where crime is quite high in comparison (especially violent crime). I don't know if India is worse, but it's at least close. Interesting how lofty ideas don't necessarily reflect reality.

Despite the political forces behind censorship though, I think the person who mentioned some kind of burgeoning animation industry as a probable cause might be on to something. As is the case with Cartoon Network as of late, I think the agendas of the people in decision-making positions have a lot more impact than the media's latest rant. I think it takes a lot for people to actually stop pitying themselves en masse and actually take action.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
This country was founded on telling certain tranditionalists to go to hell so we could have the sepparation of church and state.

This country was founded so that people could worship God as they chose, rather than how it was mandated by the government-controlled Catholic church. Separation of church and state is a concept meant to keep the government from interfering in religious affairs, just so we're straight, since the schools seem to like teaching revisionist history nowadays from the number of misquotes of that phrase I see fly around on these forums.

And instead you now have a set up where religion has a major impact upon government.

I don't remember following a presidency election in which religion didn't play a notable role.

Hell, the fact that Obama was accused of being a Muslim (the fact that such an accusation was constituted an ATTACK) shows just how much religion matters to American government.

Last I saw on UK politics (with all its own idiocy, lies, and general separation from reality) the religious beliefs of the candidates matters very little. Hell the biggest recent one was Tony Blair turning/revealing he was Roman Catholic AFTER he was forced to step down...which garnered a few minutes of screen time and maybe a small column in a major newspaper.

Government can't interfere with religion but religion can interfere with government...
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Government can't interfere with religion but religion can interfere with government...

Well... yes, that's the general idea, and the entire reason that freedom of religion was given in the first place. You do realize that the writers of the American constitution prayed before every session, right? And that the person who suggested this was the renowned Deist Benjamin Franklin?

America was founded on the idea that freedom could exist without a big government if every man could govern themselves. Somewhere along the lines, we lost the ability to govern ourselves. I don't know exactly when it happened. Now, lo and behold, we have a big government, and our freedoms are being slowly stripped away one by one.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
You have to stop and think a second when you realize that the creative output of a country with a crime rate among the lowest in the world offends the sensibilities of the USA, where crime is quite high in comparison (especially violent crime).

REPORTED crime is pretty low here in Japan (where I live), but that's because police don't get involved in cases of domestic violence. I have discovered some of my students with bruises, and even have caught some parents hitting their kids, only to be told by my boss to not bother to report it because the police have no jurisdiction in the homes. And since Crayon Shin-chan is about what happens within a family, it doesn't surprise me that it offends some people.

And as a final note for the anti-religious sentiment pervading this thread, just know that Marx's words, particularly those, have resulted in untold millions of deaths in Central and Southeast Asia. For those that weren't killed, many were tortured, put in prison without trial, and had their livelihood stripped from them, all because they were followers of a religion. And for them, it was not an opiate to dull the senses, but a Truth which allowed them to see the world for what it truly is. In contrast to Marx, it was Christian missionaries to India that sparked some of the most influential civil rights movements ever seen in that country (including the banning on Sari, or widow burning).

PS: I am a Cultural Anthropologist, daylighting as an English teacher, and though I haven't taken time to look through my sources while writing this response, I will be happy to give the sources to any who PM me.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Thank you for that post, BleuVII. Nice to have an informed opinion rather than the sensationalism that often plagues these types of threads in the Talkback section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow typical ignorant people yelling 'This is censorship" and "Screw religion".

Hell most of your comments are pretty damn ignorant about India too. Example: Richard Gere wasn't arrested and kissing isn't a crime in India. That incident was just a bunch of extremist prudes and fanboys of the actress getting all bent out of shape. No different than Americans fanboy posts over stupid hobbies. It just got blown out of proportion.

But in any case India is more conservative about showing affection in public. There's another nation you might be interested in studying as far as society goes. It's called Japan! Something people think they know around here. It's not the same as India, but it goes to show that there are other countries out there and other cultures that don't think like you, and those people going ape shit over censorship of a cartoon lend more to the foreign believed stereotype that American youth are some rebellious violent and profane thugs and their parents can't raise them to have manners but simply park them in front of the TV and go get liquored. This is definately true for some people.

And there are things kids shouldn't watch. Because kids often innocently enough imitate things they see. Young minds are impressionable. If the Indian government wants to pull one cartoon off the air from a children's spot then I see no reason to get all bent out of shape, especially since it's a move that was motivated by parents not wanting the show. I doubt the kids will largely give a damn. They'll be confused that it's not playing anymore and watch something else and move on. And if you're all upset over this then just know that nobody in India gives a shit what you think and you just come off as a hyperactive moron. So much for anti-religious people being somehow 'enlightened' and better than anyone else. Typical...

India isn't some paradise. It's got its issues religious or otherwise just like every other damn place. Right now Christians are being persecuted in states like Orissa. Priests beaten, nuns raped and burnt and even hindu people who try to help them are being assaulted and suffer the same fate. But it ain't Taliban ruled Afghanistan either. And neither is it ever going to be anywhere close to atheistic from which some of the worst evil regimes and political philosophies were borne from that make the Taliban look saintly. Educate yourselves. And there's plenty of outlets for anime in India. It's got Animax a 24 hour channel for anime. And from recent news even manga and stuff is picking up.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Wow typical ignorant people yelling 'This is censorship" and "Screw religion".

Before you get all up on your high horse and start talking about how everybody is and idiot...

Quote:
Example: Richard Gere wasn't arrested and kissing isn't a crime in India. That incident was just a bunch of extremist prudes and fanboys of the actress getting all bent out of shape. No different than Americans fanboy posts over stupid hobbies. It just got blown out of proportion.

I believe you are correct, he was not arrested. However, you can't possibly compare American fans complaining about stuff on the internet to several lawyers filing complaints, public protests in several cities, and even the burning of effigies.

Quote:
And there are things kids shouldn't watch. Because kids often innocently enough imitate things they see. Young minds are impressionable. If the Indian government wants to pull one cartoon off the air from a children's spot then I see no reason to get all bent out of shape, especially since it's a move that was motivated by parents not wanting the show.

But that right there is the thing. You mentioned Americans just parking their kids in front of the TV. By all means, if people in India (or anywhere else) don't want their kids to watch a program, then don't let them watch it. Don't demand it be removed though. Get off your ass and do some parenting instead of expecting the government to step in and do it for you.

Also, you say "pull one cartoon off the air from a children's spot" ANN says "banned from TV". That's not exactly the same thing. Do you have a basis to say that ANN is incorrect?

Quote:
And if you're all upset over this then just know that nobody in India gives a shit what you think and you just come off as a hyperactive moron.

My god you're right! What we say here wont have any actual effect on India or anything for that matter! Crap. Well I guess I'll email Tempest and tell him he can go ahead and shut down ANN. Congratulations, you've debunked the internet.

Quote:
So much for anti-religious people being somehow 'enlightened' and better than anyone else. Typical...

Not anyone else. Just some of them.

Quote:
India isn't some paradise. It's got its issues religious or otherwise just like every other damn place. Right now Christians are being persecuted in states like Orissa. Priests beaten, nuns raped and burnt and even hindu people who try to help them are being assaulted and suffer the same fate.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
You have to stop and think a second when you realize that the creative output of a country with a crime rate among the lowest in the world offends the sensibilities of the USA, where crime is quite high in comparison (especially violent crime).

REPORTED crime is pretty low here in Japan (where I live), but that's because police don't get involved in cases of domestic violence. I have discovered some of my students with bruises, and even have caught some parents hitting their kids, only to be told by my boss to not bother to report it because the police have no jurisdiction in the homes. And since Crayon Shin-chan is about what happens within a family, it doesn't surprise me that it offends some people.

I don't know about the domestic violence situations in America or Japan, but I think that regardless the difference in deaths as a result of other crime (shootings, robberies, turf wars, etc.) is still something that cannot be overlooked.

The problem here is that while people are welcome to an opinion, forcing that opinion on others is something else entirely. Apparently this was a popular show, so it's at the expense of one group of people that this one is getting their way.

BleuVII wrote:
And as a final note for the anti-religious sentiment pervading this thread, just know that Marx's words, particularly those, have resulted in untold millions of deaths in Central and Southeast Asia. For those that weren't killed, many were tortured, put in prison without trial, and had their livelihood stripped from them, all because they were followers of a religion. And for them, it was not an opiate to dull the senses, but a Truth which allowed them to see the world for what it truly is. In contrast to Marx, it was Christian missionaries to India that sparked some of the most influential civil rights movements ever seen in that country (including the banning on Sari, or widow burning).

I don't know where to start. To say that Karl Marx is responsible for millions of Asian deaths is misleading to say the least; it is comparable to holding Jesus responsible for the crusades. It's no secret that many have utilized Marx's words for great misdeeds, but this is also true of religion to a degree of far greater proportions. I wonder how many times platform shoes would make a comeback if religious fatalities ceased and communists tried to get up to speed on the deaths in the name of Allah alone.

Insofar as communism is concerned, unless I'm mistaken it had little to no influence on India. But if you know anything about China after the fall of the Qing dynasty, you'll know that the leading cause of death for Chinese people was a) Japanese people, and b) other Chinese people. The communist movement before the end of WWII was actually a godsend to the millions of peasants under the rule of landlords. It was only after the war that one could say incompetent Communist leadership killed millions of Chinese people, and even then all this can mostly be attributed to Mao Zedong, who was more suited to revolution than government.

I agree that people are too quick to quote certain crazy dead people in their struggle to justify the things they say. However it is equally obtuse and irrational to evidence one instance as cause for people to roll over on their negative religious views; particularly when you are trying to use death and suffering as a benchmark.
suzumehime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
i watched this anime ever since i was a kid and it never gave me a negative image of anything at all. I guess it's just the minds of different POVs at work here.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
suzumehime wrote:
i watched this anime ever since i was a kid and it never gave me a negative image of anything at all. I guess it's just the minds of different POVs at work here.

Yeah, may as well say Beavis and Butthead is to blame for 4chan.

Wait a minute...
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

I'm not a Marxist, but that's one thing he said that was absolutely true. And don't criticize me for "staying at home" when you do the exact same thing, hyopcrite. Go live in India and Saudi Arabia or something then you will have the right to act like you're any different from me.

I would LOVE to go to other countries if I had the money and resources, my friend. Sadly, I am not that rich. And I do not appreciate your arrogant, "you have no right to lecture me" attitude. And I'm sure a lot of people don't like that either. But since it seems like you don't care about whatever I say, I won't say anything anymore about the matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4