• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ultraviolet: Code 044 to Begin Airing on G4 This Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Is Adult Swim phasing out the block this fast?

IIRC, it's much cheaper to have shows commissioned than to license Anime.

It's cheaper for them to acquire pre-licensed anime than to make their own shows, but they make more money back from their own shows.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Crackle began streaming the series in April 2011

... and still are. So is this coming down in a week, or is the only real reason to watch it on G4 a choice of who has the better upscaling?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

It's cheaper for them to acquire pre-licensed anime than to make their own shows, but they make more money back from their own shows.

Do they really make money off of Squidbillies and the latest dreck by Tim and Eric?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Do they really make money off of Squidbillies and the latest dreck by Tim and Eric?

Same way the Japanese make their real money, on videos, merchandise, and licenses.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Quote:
Crackle began streaming the series in April 2011

... and still are. So is this coming down in a week, or is the only real reason to watch it on G4 a choice of who has the better upscaling?

I think this was probably just a "sneak peek" to let people who were unaware of the Crackle streaming to know it exists. Unfortunately, I didn't get the entire episode on DVR, so I have no idea if they flashed a website where the rest of the series can be watched.

The "It Worked for Adult Swim" theory still occasionally seems relevant in the case of blockbuster franchises like Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist, as well as unrelated pickups such as Kekkaishi and Durarara!!. It enjoyed a period of prosperity ratings-wise in 2010 and 2011, but now in 2012, only Bleach premieres carry the entire 6-hour Saturday night block and ratings aren't quite as high. However, even the worst show on the worst night (usually a rerun encore) pulls about a 300k overall, and from what I've seen G4 hasn't even come close to those kinds of numbers with Marvel Anime.

But as long as they keep airing 'em I'll keep watching 'em, and that includes non-Marvel one-off's like this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2