• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cosplay Complex DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:37 am Reply with quote
This is indeed a hilarious show. Some of the gags are priceless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Toboe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:19 am Reply with quote
Ugh. This review reads like it's the back of the box. "Full-blown hysterical hilarity!". If I wanted to be pitched at I'd go to a baseball game. It's also schizophrenic; the review goes on for like 2 paragraphs about how AMAZINGLY INSANELY HYSTERICALLY OVER THE TOP LAUGH A MINUTE CHUCKLE FACTORY LAFFO!! this OVA is and then in the last paragraph says "well the story is terrible and it's a guilty pleasure", then proceeds to give it B- and C in every category. Great. Thanks.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
Ugh. This review reads like it's the back of the box. "Full-blown hysterical hilarity!". If I wanted to be pitched at I'd go to a baseball game. It's also schizophrenic; the review goes on for like 2 paragraphs about how AMAZINGLY INSANELY HYSTERICALLY OVER THE TOP LAUGH A MINUTE CHUCKLE FACTORY LAFFO!! this OVA is and then in the last paragraph says "well the story is terrible and it's a guilty pleasure", then proceeds to give it B- and C in every category. Great. Thanks.

Yeah, on this one, I have to agree. When it comes to fanservice, I think this column tends to pad the grades a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:03 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:

FYI, "B-" and "C" aren't very good grades. Also, if the plot is thin it doesen't necessarily mean that animation and music are poor too. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving decent grades to a show that's funny.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:41 am Reply with quote
It's just a show where you can laugh at for a few minutes. Nothing more.

Not everything has to be as mind numbing entertainment as One Piece or Naruto, or as philosophical/debateable as Ghost in the Shell or Gundam.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
FYI, "B-" and "C" aren't very good grades.

That was Toboe's point.

Quote:
Also, if the plot is thin it doesen't necessarily mean that animation and music are poor too. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving decent grades to a show that's funny.

There isn't anything wrong with giving "decent" grades to something that's funny. But, the reviewer raved and raved about the show, but then at the end of the review kinda said, "despite how much I raved about it for the entire review, the story sucked...." and then proceeded to give it mediocre scores. It's just inconsistent.
Toboe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:29 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
It's just a show where you can laugh at for a few minutes. Nothing more.

Not everything has to be as mind numbing entertainment as One Piece or Naruto, or as philosophical/debateable as Ghost in the Shell or Gundam.

You know something? I'm so sick of hearing this. Every time you criticise something someone else says "well not every show has to be Ghost in the Shell!" as though any criticism leveled at anything automatically means the person was expecting it to be an unmitigated masterpiece.

I have news for you; criticism is fair and warranted and should be expected. We're asked to plop down money to watch these things and if we just mindlessly consume everything no matter how dumb it is and then excuse it because of what it's 'supposed to be', even if what it's 'supposed to be' is dumb, vapid and unfunny, then we're basically just barking wallets who serve no purpose other than to consume. If you want to live your life as little more than an empty consumer, be my guest, but don't attack me or put words in my mouth because I dare to say I don't like something or that it wasn't worth my time.

I DON'T expect Cosplay Complex to be Ghost in the Shell and saying that it wasn't funny in absolutely no way whatsoever suggests that I think it should have been. Please take a moment to think about your logic before making statements like that.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:

I DON'T expect Cosplay Complex to be Ghost in the Shell and saying that it wasn't funny in absolutely no way whatsoever suggests that I think it should have been. Please take a moment to think about your logic before making statements like that.

What is your major malfunction?!

You pretty much go on a full-blown tyraid of how Cosplay Complex sucks, yet I come in tell you "Chill, it's nothing to get worked over."
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Toboe,let the buyer beware......
I must admit I rely quite a bit on the reviews an anime series gets from this site before taking the plunge and collecting it. I have yet to be dissapointed! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1