• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haibane Renmei (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Haibane Renmei (TV)

Genres: drama, fantasy, mystery, psychological
Themes: angels, iyashikei, redemption

Plot Summary: A dream of falling from the sky...and then birth. Rakka is born from a large cocoon into the Old Home, greeted by a group of females with small wings on their backs and shining halos above their heads. Soon Rakka’s own wings grow, a halo is placed on her head and she is told that she must work in the nearby town of Grie. She soon realizes that the town and the entire world they live in are confined behind the Wall, a tall, impenetrable wall that none except the mysterious Toga are allowed to exit.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Ok, this comes, as many people will know, because Haibane's names came from it's dream they had before. I'm asking, does Reki at any time tells how what it's dream?

If so, I'd be pleased if someone can tells me...^^
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
"Tells how what it's dream?" Eh, I don't quite understand your grammar, but you can refer to abunai's articles here and here.

Hey, Sarki-Kun, you were following that thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:55 am Reply with quote
Ok, sorry. Forget about it, and look to this new one, which MUST (I hope^^) be correct Anime hyper.

Every Haibane has a dream inside the cocoon, OK. I wish to know how was Reki's dream, because if I remember well, she doesn't explains it.

For that thread...I know I was following it, but not at all. I use to avoid EVERY spoiler tag that it's speaking about something I haven't seen. I just started watching it yesterday, so I prefer to do not look at them. Just that.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:10 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well, let me put it this way:

Reki's dream is essential to the entire story. The only detail she remembers is walking along a pebble-strewn "path". Hence her name, from reki (礫, "pebble or small stone"). The fact that, although Reki struggles very hard to remember the rest of the dream, she can't remember any more, is one of the central dynamics of Haibane Renmei. It's important.

However, and here comes a BIG spoiler - don't look at it if you want to avoid ruining the ending:

spoiler[Although the pebble-strewn path later is made clear as a railway track, the real reason for Reki's name is the kanji 轢 (reki, "run over"), which appears in the following combinations:
轢断 (rekidan, "cutting in two under train wheels")
轢殺 (rekisatsu, "killing by running over with a car or train")
轢死 (rekishi, "death by being run over").

And yes, there is a pun on the third of these terms in the anime itself, in one of the afterwords - Reki says her favourite hobby is rekishi, 歴史, history. ]

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote
Ahh...Understood. It's an essential part of the story and for that reason it isn't explained as well as the others. Ok, I also have a vague idea about how's it.

A thanks for advertising about this spoiler. I won't look at it. It scares me...Surprised Thanks Anime smile
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question, do you think all the Haibane have very deep dreams, or do some have very simple ones? Like could one dream about say...nachos?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
I've got a question, do you think all the Haibane have very deep dreams, or do some have very simple ones? Like could one dream about say...nachos?

Eh, eating nachos is not a common way to spoiler[commit suicide], is it? Wink It may take decades to show its chronic effect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Or, like mentioned (the vague dream about walking on pebbles that later turns out to be a railway track), one could dream about something simple like eating. Turns out (much later) that the person actually took sleeping pills].

I don't know, I'm just rambling. Haven't watched Haibane Renmei yet, got other stuff to finish fisrt.

Last edited by Ken Hayashi on Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
spoiler[Turns out (much later) that the person actually took sleeping pills.]

Ken Hayashi wrote:
Haven't watched Haibane Renmei yet,

Shocked Nice intuition. Enough said. Shocked

EDIT: Spoiler tag added.

Last edited by dormcat on Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:48 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ken Hayashi wrote:
spoiler[Turns out (much later) that the person actually took sleeping pills.]

Ken Hayashi wrote:
Haven't watched Haibane Renmei yet,

Did I just post a spoiler? Damn, I'll go back and edit.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Did I just post a spoiler? Damn, I'll go back and edit.

Oh yes, in spades. And you missed spoiler-shielding all of the spoiler in question. Go back and do it again, please.

I suppose a haibane could dream of nachos, if they even knew what the dish was. I'd bet you money that such a haibane would be named Geppu.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:00 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
deathbringer wrote:

Eh, eating nachos is not a common way to spoiler[commit suicide], is it? Wink It may take decades to show its chronic effect.

spoiler[Poison anyone?]
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
What is the final verdict on the dreams anyway, did all of the main characters in Haibane spoiler[commit suicide?] Also, does anyone know how the young feathers got there, or is it the equivalent to purgatory for them?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
What is the final verdict on the dreams anyway, did all of the main characters in Haibane spoiler[commit suicide?] Also, does anyone know how the young feathers got there, or is it the equivalent to purgatory for them?

I think it's both spoiler[suicide and unfulfilled deaths. The Young Feathers are likely young children who died without fully understanding why and possibly not deserving it. Abuse, neglect, being caught up in the middle of something they couldn't quite grasp, that sort of thing.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Huh, you want me to read something that I shouldn't, don't you? xD. Anyways, I appreciate your spoiler tags...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11