• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Killing Suspect Says He Is a Precure, Kitarō Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Anyway, the media has apparently pointed out that he's fond of lots of non-anime and non-manga entertainment too, so to make a nice change this isn't just another round of demonising anime fans. Or doesn't seem to be at the moment, at least.

Per the article, only one of the papers mentioned his interest in entertainment outside of anime and magna. Sad

It is my understanding that "otaku" is used more broadly in Japan for anyone with an unhealthy obsession, but outside of Japan it is more ordinarily used in reference to anime, manga, and games. Is that inaccurate?

I think you are correct. I'm actually getting tired of news like this.
The murderer may be an otaku, but he is still a killer. I think he's being put into the spotlight not just because he killed that 5 year old girl,but also because he likes anime. It would be natural for some people to assume, "The killer liked anime,so therefore anime inspired him to commit the crime!!"

If a killer is inspired by some form of media(anime,video games,TV,etc), I say, the only thing we have to blame is the killer for commiting the crime and for being so easily influenced...
IMO.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
He said he liked Precure. He didn't say he killed that poor little girl because he liked precure. I think they should burn his collection infront of him before pulling the lever sending him to his appointment with the Dr. Noose.
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Uh...I don't really get why they would add that he is an otaku (school girls..) but to add that into the opinion that he might have killed the girl, wouldn't that make a bad rep. to all otakus/anime and fans? Would that make an opinion that all otaku/anime fans are bad and insane people? Maybe just to make the article more interesting I guess. Just leaving it without that would make it kind of boring and not attract as many people. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
Sometimes you just have to roll your eyes at the news articles posted on ANN especially when there's a vague reference to anime.

I find it hilarious whenever anything related to copyrighted issues, for example, in some obscure corner of the world is spotlighted that does not involved any anime... Wait... let's connect the dots... someone made copies of G'N'R's new releases... sell to co-workers... bootlegging... copyright infringements... music CDs... entertainment medium... DVDs... anime. There!

So a murderer that happens to like some anime, amongst other things, is big news to the anime world.

It's a slow news day after all.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder why he hasn't been charged yet?

Oh, and the over-reaction in this thread is hilarious. You know when stuff like this happens the media has to figure out someway to describe what kind of person this is to the public. People want to know, that's sort of what a newspapers job is, to inform the needs of the public. Or at least that used to be the theory. If he loved playing tennis, they would have said the that tennis was one of his favorite ways to pass the time. If he was seen jumping rope in the park, I am sure they would have mentioned that he loved jumping rope. If he loved building miniature motorized boats, then I am sure that would have been mentioned. If he loved sitting around watching anime and reading manga while wearing wood shoes, I am sure that would have been mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
i hope he get the chair killing a little girl just so wrong
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
And Charles Manson liked the Beach Boys. Hitler liked Disney movies. Big whoop-de-doo.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
i hope he get the chair killing a little girl just so wrong

Does killing him bring her back? is killing ever right?
No to both questions.

Killing is always wrong even when the state does such.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

No to both questions.

-Gabe

Now that's a can of worms right there Very Happy I'll just say it's quite a matter of opinion and I respectfully disagree. I don't know if the mods would ok a death penalty discussion here so I won't try to start one.

However... I don't believe you have to worry about him getting the chair. Executions are carried out by hanging Very Happy
inu-liger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Bluebeard wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

No to both questions.

-Gabe

Now that's a can of worms right there Very Happy I'll just say it's quite a matter of opinion and I respectfully disagree. I don't know if the mods would ok a death penalty discussion here so I won't try to start one.

However... I don't believe you have to worry about him getting the chair. Executions are carried out by hanging Very Happy

If he gets charged, prosecuted and sentenced to hanging for murder, all I can say is, I hope they loop a certain scene from Evangelion and play it over and over while he's being hung.

I also too question some of the articles that appear on this site, in terms of actual relevance.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Uh, I think there's an error in the article.

There is no Pretty Cure manga, at least not any that would fill shelves. The anime is not based on a manga, it's an original story.

There were 2 volumes of manga that were published based on the anime (backwards from normal), and then 1 volume "mangalizations" of each of the 4 movies... Then there's the manga that's serialized in Nakayoshi, however that manga has not been collected into volumes yet.

Most pretty cure books are coloring books, sticker books, or study guides.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Who cares what this freak was into in his spare time, just let him rot in a cell for the rest of his life.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Condolences for the friends and family of this young girl. I hope she is at peace.

This is just another example of crappy journalism. I have a friend who cosplayed Kitaro and wears geta all the time. And of course, she never killed anybody.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:
Who cares what this freak was into in his spare time, just let him rot in a cell for the rest of his life.
I'd rather, as I'm sure the little girl's family would as well, that he rot in his grave and save taxpayers money to keep him fed, warm, and healthy.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
What if a killer says he likes to watch CSI and all those other crime/detective shows...

Wow, what stupidity it is to tie mass murders to shows that one watches... Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6