• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Killing Suspect Says He Is a Precure, Kitarō Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Uhg, I'm so tired of anime fans getting negative press. Where's the story about the Nobel Prize winner who likes who likes Slayers?

Was there really such a winner?
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:
Uhg, I'm so tired of anime fans getting negative press. Where's the story about the Nobel Prize winner who likes who likes Slayers?

Was there really such a winner?

There will be 1 when I can get my behind off the couch and get motivated... On 2nd thoughts, NAH.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
So when you gonna move there? We need a few more insiders.

As soon as school is completed and that BA is in my hands.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
inu-liger wrote:
I also too question some of the articles that appear on this site, in terms of actual relevance.
It's an instigation thread.They want people to discuss (get riled up) about it.

What ever the case,they should focus on the poor girl's death,not what anime,or how many volumes of manga Ryo had.And who gives a shit that he liked precure.I like Precure and Kitaro.Oh,and I also own a pair of wooden clogs,am I the next otaku in line to kill? Pshhh...I don't think so.

I have to disagree. I don't believe this to be an article to be placed on the site purposely to instigate people. If they choose to respond in an excessive manner (which is subjective), well that's the result (not intent). The article states that the suspect said he imitated the title character of the GeGeGe no Kitarō children's horror manga. I think a news organization would be remiss if they didn't point out if a suspect states he "imitates" a person/character - whatever that may be. It gives a glimpse of the suspects frame of mind. It just so happens that who he imitates is a manga character.

What I find troublesome is if and when they go beyond that point. Was it necessary to mention that he had posters of anime characters? That he had bookshelves of manga? That's the sticky area for me, personally. What would be even worse is if they refer to past murderers who were also "into" anime/manga.
SukuraTears

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I believe its a case of wanting to blame something than just the person. there seems to alot of it in the news these days(south wales judge rules cartoons are people too.)
Iowa has a court case also,
but it seems the that these people are being small minded and blaming things the seem to no nothing about.
Its really sad to see the masses being multilipated that way.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, after I read this article. I never thought this would go out of control, I wonder how long until all those anime haters say that anime fans or otaku becomes a murderer, or school shooters when training on manga/anime. It'll be just like how Jack Thompson and those video game haters saying that video game causes violence.

Anyway, there was a intresting news from Kotaku involving a 14 years old Japanese schoolgirls who almost killed a person on a bike after she has been "Practicing" driving on a arcade game. Link is here:

http://kotaku.com/5069103/japanese-schoolgirl-practices-at-arcade-almost-kills-man-with-car#viewcomments
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It's an instigation thread.They want people to discuss (get riled up) about it.

Don't you think that if we were actually posting news items like this to deliberately get people worked up about it that by now we'd be sick of the incredibly predictable reaction each one of them gets?

Or maybe we're just reporting the news, hmmmmmmm it's almost too simple there must be another reason!!
[Speech,40%] I love everything you,and ANN post ,Boss.But some of the source reports sound rather odd.Other posters question it too,with the amount of manga Precure didn't release,supposedly filling in his shelf.

fighterholic wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

That's great news,man.I hope to stay longer than a week,next time.

Gage wrote:
Oh come on! What gives you the idea ANN is deliberately posting information that has little relevance? I'm ready for an answer. Do be serious if you plan on answering.
Who are you talking to,Gage?

Ioriya wrote:

i didn't get riled up.

i lul'ed.
I would never take a post seriously.Life is to short to get angry at something as petty as text.

I lol'd as well. *looks for clogs*
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't you think that if we were actually posting news items like this to deliberately get people worked up about it that by now we'd be sick of the incredibly predictable reaction each one of them gets?

I completely agree with this. Almost every story about something like this gets the same responses over and over again. I think the only reason this got posted was because the guy was an anime fan and this is news in Japan right now.

You really think the mods are THAT controlling of our discussions Shadowrun?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Sitting through enough episodes of Pretty Crappy would make me want to hurt people, too. Laughing But at least now they can't blame hentai for people going nuts. R.I.P. little girl.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Uh, I think there's an error in the article.

There is no Pretty Cure manga, at least not any that would fill shelves.

My guess is it's Dōjinshi.

I still don't get how you are supposed to describe a person, without explaining what they do in their spare time. It is like if he was an athlete, the fact he was an athlete should never be revealed. I mean maybe the papers only mentioned him watching anime and reading manga because it's the only thing he ever did, with the exception of maybe working so he can buy said items. Assuming the former, how exactly should a paper describe a person if the one thing they did a lot of wasn't allowed to be printed in paper? My guess is it would be a very inaccurate description and pretty dull to boot. Some of you all need to calm down a bit. As far as I can tell, it was never said anime was the cause, and I think we can rest assured the brunt of the blame will all be lumped onto this very disturbed vermin of a man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime_lord1989

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
ok wth is wrong with Otakus now a days.....please someone tell me wth is happening to us......lol.......
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Uh, I think there's an error in the article.

There is no Pretty Cure manga, at least not any that would fill shelves.

My guess is it's Dōjinshi.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have a shelf (half) full of pretty cure doujinshi.
And while it is true that the little girls going to and from school do sometimes annoy me, I do not have any urge to murder them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

That's great news,man.I hope to stay longer than a week,next time.

Projected time will be within the first three months of 2010 that I would go back. I know though like anywhere, Japan is not what it was four years ago. So, I hope that I will be able to adapt to the changes, and reunite with those I know.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
anime_lord1989 wrote:
ok wth is wrong with Otakus now a days.....please someone tell me wth is happening to us......lol.......

Well, you are the anime lord. You tell us.
failsafe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
For people confused about the news, there's a huge stigma about otaku in Japan largely due to the fact that many child killers and pedophiles who've gotten media attention turned out to be (or at least were claimed by the media to be) otaku. Tsutomu Miyazaki, a man who molested, murdered and partially ate four little girls was nicknamed "the otaku murderer" (nevermind that he had no interest in anime outside of hentai).

I think this is the crux of why this story was posted and how relevant it is to anime culture in general. The "Miyazaki incident" is the probably the biggest reason for the general dislike of otaku in Japan. With the recent popularity of the Densha Otoko movie, which depicts otaku in a more positive light, the previously-held notion of otaku being crazed, anime-obsessed pedophiles seemed to be slowly fading away in the minds of the Japanese people who remember the incident.

With the amount of media attention this recent incident is getting, it is possible that the disdain for otaku would rise again, especially if it is spun to highlight the fact that this guy is a fan of anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6