• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Anime Updates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I don't see Conan's weak point being its supposed dated style, I really just see it as the sheer fact that no one really likes it. I also honestly feel that the lack of fanservice may have something to do with it. There aren't hot chicks, pretty boys, or huggable demons to latch onto. It may be popular in Japan, but I think the American audience is more finicky and less patient to stick around with a series that doesn't offer them instant gratification - kid detective isn't neccessarily something that sounds appealing off the bat. The genre of the series just doesn't appeal to the adult swim audience. I also think the fact that it's an incredibly long series with no end in sight makes it somewhat discouraging to viewers. I would think it's a fairly large gamble for CN to commit to such a long series without any guarantee ratings will climb.

I agree with you. A show about about a kid detective won't attract the people who watch adult swim.

I always thought it belonged in Toonami even though it would be edited, and that putting it in Adult swim was a mistake.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
aisasami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
RedvsBlue wrote:
I'm glad Conan wont be on anymore.

The dvd's have better quality, no commericals, and japanese audio track. TV has none of this for Conan.

Lets just hope something really good gets put in it's timeslot.

Um, hello? There was some mistakes on the DVD (No Proper Credits and nothing restore). CM are also a gimme but I like the dub very much on this show. Getting replace with a crappy, distorted show makes me Adult swim won't last long..... :me pets the Case Closed DVD ad on the top right now:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I always thought it belonged in Toonami even though it would be edited, and that putting it in Adult swim was a mistake.

It wouldn't fit on Toonami either. Not only would the editing remove key forensic evidence, but the show also lacks the sort of action needed to keep the ADD Dragon Ball crowd in their seats.

Detective Conan really doesn't fit on any of Cartoon Network's programming blocks that play anime. It's a misfit, and they tried to put it where they thought it'd fit best. It'd be like them trying to find a decent spot for, say, Haibane Renmei or Ah! My Goddess. They just don't have one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
aisasami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:

It wouldn't fit on Toonami either. Not only would the editing remove key forensic evidence, but the show also lacks the sort of action needed to keep the ADD Dragon Ball crowd in their seats.

Detective Conan really doesn't fit on any of Cartoon Network's programming blocks that play anime. It's a misfit, and they tried to put it where they thought it'd fit best. It'd be like them trying to find a decent spot for, say, Haibane Renmei or Ah! My Goddess. They just don't have one.

By you saying that, it should belong with that Anime that shows at 1 am, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
No Conan. Why?

1) The Japanese audience is about 8-40--Conan is a FAMILY show. In the United States, however, anime is almost never a family show.
2) Similarly, Conan, according to American standards, is too violent for Toonami and too childish for Adult Swim.
3) Funi tried to lower Conan to be not-violent enough for Toonami; when it was put on AS, no one bothered to redub it (understandable, as dubbing costs money.) Therefore, a show already not mature enough for AS drops to be almost Toonami-level. Obviously not going to work.
4) Thus, but steps 1-3, we have lowered Conan's potential audience to otaku and otaku-wannabes (which, i would guess, would make up the majority of Case Closed watchers) and their friends. People who never watched AS before would not stop by Conan. AS regulars who are indifferent about whether something is Japanese or not (in other words, AS viewers who AREN'T complete Japanophiles) will be turned off by steps 1-3.
5) Similarly, otaku (the hardcore ones) are also eliminated because they have a lot to complain about; namely step 3, name changes, title changes, bad VAing, dialogue change, paint (!), plot change, etc. etc.

In the end, we are left with the audience of "otaku wannabes." (Note I'm not trying to insult anyone; this is the best title I could come up with.) In other words, the regular AS audience has basically been cut in third. Half of these "non-believers" complain that Conan is childish, boring. The other half love Conan to death (or just anime in general), but cannot stand anything non-purist.

A thirded audience leads to less people watching, lower ratings, and ultimately less money for CN. Thus, they have bought up to episode 52 to satisfy that 1/3, then will cancel it to satisfy the 2/3. It's all about the math. (Note these are educated guesstimates).

But you may say that the 1/3 will be dissatisfied by CN's cancellation, yes? Perhaps, but certainly not dissatisfied enough to stop watching AS altogether. My guess is AS will take a minor dip, and if and when Conan is replaced with something that will fit better (note that I said "will fit better," not "better"), ratings will soar higher.

There ya go.
And BTW, yes I am a rabid Detective Conan fan. NOT a rabid Case Closed fan. However, I did use as much impartial, unbiased judgement to come up with these reasons, and I do think they are reasonable.
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:00 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
No Conan. Why?

1) The Japanese audience is about 8-40--Conan is a FAMILY show. In the United States, however, anime is almost never a family show.
2) Similarly, Conan, according to American standards, is too violent for Toonami and too childish for Adult Swim.
3) Funi tried to lower Conan to be not-violent enough for Toonami; when it was put on AS, no one bothered to redub it (understafndable, as dubbing costs money.) Therefore, a show already not mature enough for AS drops to be almost Toonami-level. Obviously not going to work.
4) Thus, but steps 1-3, we have lowered Conan's potential audience to otaku and otaku-wannabes (which, i would guess, would make up the majority of Case Closed watchers) and their friends. People who never watched AS before would not stop by Conan. AS regulars who are indifferent about whether something is Japanese or not (in other words, AS viewers who AREN'T complete Japanophiles) will be turned off by steps 1-3.
5) Similarly, otaku (the hardcore ones) are also eliminated because they have a lot to complain about; namely step 3, name changes, title changes, bad VAing, dialogue change, paint (!), plot change, etc. etc.

In the end, we are left with the audience of "otaku wannabes." (Note I'm not trying to insult anyone; this is the best title I could come up with.) In other words, the regular AS audience has basically been cut in third. Half of these "non-believers" complain that Conan is childish, boring. The other half love Conan to death (or just anime in general), but cannot stand anything non-purist.

A thirded audience leads to less people watching, lower ratings, and ultimately less money for CN. Thus, they have bought up to episode 52 to satisfy that 1/3, then will cancel it to satisfy the 2/3. It's all about the math. (Note these are educated guesstimates).

But you may say that the 1/3 will be dissatisfied by CN's cancellation, yes? Perhaps, but certainly not dissatisfied enough to stop watching AS altogether. My guess is AS will take a minor dip, and if and when Conan is replaced with something that will fit better (note that I said "will fit better," not "better"), ratings will soar higher.

There ya go.
And BTW, yes I am a rabid Detective Conan fan. NOT a rabid Case Closed fan. However, I did use as much impartial, unbiased judgement to come up with these reasons, and I do think they are reasonable.

By your definition, I am an "Otaku wannabe". I really would prefer not to be called an Otaku ANYTHING. Otaku is an insult. I have other things in my life, however equally geeky they may be. Also, I think "real fans" of anime can look past some changes in CC(like I have). Besides the name changes, little is done to make it a bad dub(only the occasional "bathing suit" followed by a picture of "Rachel" and conan naked in a spring).
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The only difference between CC and DC is the names. That's it. They didn't even americanize it.
Izlude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
The only difference between CC and DC is the names. That's it. They didn't even americanize it.

Yeh thats right, nothing is censored, none of the plots have been changed, everything is intact, except the names and a couple of jokes, but that is typical in a dub.

Case Closed/Detective Conan is a GREAT show, its got alot more fans than people think. I don't think Viz would of picked up the manga if Case Closed didn't get itself a big fanbase.

In the worst case scenerio, Case Closed may end up like Yu Yu Hakusho (Also foremly on Adult Swim) and get shifted to Toonami, most likely, replacing DragonBall GT or maybe Yu Yu Hakusho.
qollocust

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:

Ethier CN is trying to upset fans and play a nasty joke, or maybe CN feels Case Closed isnt drawing in the kind of audience they wanted (which would be odd because ratings for young adults have been up since July, CC pretty much gave AS a fat boost in ratings)

Well I wouldn't attribute the rise in ratings completely to CC. Let's not forget that in July is when most students are out of school and thus will stay up late to watch TV. I know I usally don't watch it past 11:30 or so if I have class in the morning, and a lot of people I know are the same way.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I don't see Conan's weak point being its supposed dated style, I really just see it as the sheer fact that no one really likes it. I also honestly feel that the lack of fanservice may have something to do with it. There aren't hot chicks, pretty boys, or huggable demons to latch onto. It may be popular in Japan, but I think the American audience is more finicky and less patient to stick around with a series that doesn't offer them instant gratification - kid detective isn't neccessarily something that sounds appealing off the bat. The genre of the series just doesn't appeal to the adult swim audience. I also think the fact that it's an incredibly long series with no end in sight makes it somewhat discouraging to viewers. I would think it's a fairly large gamble for CN to commit to such a long series without any guarantee ratings will climb.

Actually, a lot of people like Case Closed. The show does have fans, at least online, and a lot of those fans hang out at the Adult Swim BBS (in the Action Folder) and other places I tend to go to. I've also heard that there are boards that loath Case Closed but then what's new? I don't really know of a TV show airing in the U.S. that doesn't have someone complaining about it some place online.

Now the shows length probably is part of what the problem is for AS. IMO AS isn't really looking for long term loyalty out of its viewers but fast and large ratings from the 17-35 Male demo group. Since Conan looks to be bringing a lower demo than that (the 12- 17 group) the show probably isn't looking good to them on that front and they aren't inclinded to take a chance and see if the ratings and demo's might go up/change [Now what I'd love to see is the 35+ demo for the show but those numbers never show up (probably because people over 35 don't matter to those in the TV and advertising industries Mad )].

However, I do think it's worth noting that many of the current Case Closed viewers at AS's BBS aren't as turned off by the long run of the series. One thing that's shown up in the posts over at AS BBS is that there really are some viewers who are interested in seeing long running shows like CC. So IMO the real commitment problem to watching the longer running series is on the network side, not the viewers Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Izlude:
Quote:
I don't think Viz would of picked up the manga if Case Closed didn't get itself a big fanbase.

You'd be surprised what Viz will pick up in a desperate attempt to make a buck.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:08 am Reply with quote
Man is Cartoon network going to have fun editing the lanauge in Milk-Chan, I sware that F**k is said atleast 20 times in the first volume.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:10 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Man is Cartoon network going to have fun editing the lanauge in Milk-Chan, I sware that F**k is said atleast 20 times in the first volume.

Unless they rate it TV-MA or something. Rolling Eyes
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
I doubt that will happen. Hell ADV's website says that Milk-Chan will air on both Cartoon Network and The Anime Network.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:08 am Reply with quote
Case Closed is a series with no good target audience. It's too intelligent for younger children (tame by mystery standards, but still above the heads of children) and too childish for the older crowd. 18+ year olds don't tend to go for shows that have 6 year olds (or however old he is) as heroes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6