• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Anime Updates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:32 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I doubt that will happen. Hell ADV's website says that Milk-Chan will air on both Cartoon Network and The Anime Network.

Huh? Link please. Smile
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote
ADV's main site you dope.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
I don't see any mention of Cartoon Network.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
All things considered, FUNimation showed a lot more support for Conan than Viz.

Reguardless, you can't seriously tell me that changing names and writing cheesy diologue didn't have something to do with low ratings or complaints. The Inuyasha dub is pretty mediocore but you could get use to it because it's still close to the Japanese version where as Case Closed had it coming when they changed the title (even though it was just for licencing purpouses). Still, the show wasn't treated right and it showed.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:43 am Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
Case Closed is a series with no good target audience. It's too intelligent for younger children (tame by mystery standards, but still above the heads of children) and too childish for the older crowd. 18+ year olds don't tend to go for shows that have 6 year olds (or however old he is) as heroes.

Except he's not six years old, he's seveteen. He just looks six.

Actually, CC got some very good ratings, it just got the wrong type of ratings-the viewers were skewing younger than the rest of AS, which was bringing ratings down for all the shows airing afterwords because younger viewers weren't interested in them. That's why they moved it foward a half hour-the figured it would get rid of some of the younger viewers if it was on later, and then they gave it InuYasha (their highest-rated anime show) as a lead-in to help keep the kind of viewers they wanted.

CC is an excellent series, in that it's intellegent (the mysteries really can be quite difficult although this varies) has some great characters and it's different (unlike say, InuYasha, which has devolved into "how many anime cliches can we recycle this week?" I can watch Conan and know I'm watching something different from anything else out there. I don't think it's that the show doesen't appeal to any age group (generalizations like that are pretty ignorant to begin with) but that American TV is different from Japanese. Japanese parents have no problem with thier kids watching a show which routinely deals with rather graphic and brutal murders; American parents would have fits,so they have to stick what should be a show intended for all age groups into a block intended just for one age group. Japanese broadcasters seem to be of the opinion that good ratings are good ratings, which to me makes a lot more sense than canceling a show which is getting great ratings every night because the "wrong" people are watching it.

But anyway, this news really ticks me off. I didn't like the name changes and all either, but Conan has become one of my favorite shows. Nonetheless, if FUNimation insists on limting a 370+ episode series to three episodes a disc,there's no way I'm going to be able to afford seeing it unless I hit the lottery or something. I may pick up the movies when they're released, but I doubt I'll ever see much more of the Conan TV series
Ash-Pokemon-Trainer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
I dont know much about case closed I've only seen it a couple of times and it doesnt seem like some that incredible that people will want to see more episodes on adult swim. How many episodes is case closed? I didn't recognize it cause I heared of Detective Conan but not cased closed but i realized their the same. Milk Chan seems fine for Adult swim it might have some language like u say cause i haven't seen it but i think they could use a comedy cause other than Lupin the III and Trigun which are really good and can be pretty funny or FLCL which they show sometimes most of there shows like wolfs rain, kikaider, cowboy beebop and soforth can be either pretty serious or sometimes violent. Why would they put 3 episodes on a disc for case closed so they can do like viz did with inuyasha.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:33 am Reply with quote
Well, this is disappointing. I was hoping they'd pick it up again... I rather like the show. I don't think length of the series is really a factor of keeping it or cancelling it... I mean, they have Dragonball/Z/GT for crying out loud. And they didn't know how long Inuyasha was going to get. It has to be the age ratings or something more like that.

As for all of season 3 being out of DVD before they aired anymore, I don't think that really matters. They air series that haven't been released and those that have been released. Inuyasha DVDs are behind the CN episodes, but YYH DVDs are ahead of them, for 2 examples.

The 3 episode release is annoying, but also isn't as bad as it could be, since the disc only costs $19.98 instead of the $24.98 price for 3 episodes of Inuyasha. I wasn't planning on picking it up, but if CN isn't going to air anymore episodes, then I'll wait and see if Funimation is going to release a box set, like they usually seem to do.

Last edited by Shorty22 on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:45 am Reply with quote
Sigh... I really was enjoying "Cased Closed", to the point of watching it each week at 1 am even with work the next day at 7:30 Smile

Oh well Guess i'll go cause a ruckus on the Adult swim boards.

Anyway when they say the source is from Cartoon Network. That means it covers all the Programing block including Adult Swim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stueypark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's an ignorant statement, it's pure fact in the world of television and marketing.

You even helped prove my point a bit by saying you didn't plan to buy the DVDs... I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread say they've been buying them. It's just not a profitable series. Japan has some better mystery series (not animated yet) which hopefully will get made some day.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
I don't think it's an ignorant statement, it's pure fact in the world of television and marketing.

It's always ignorant to try to predict what literally millions of people are going to do and presume to know how they think merely based on their age, gender and tax bracket. It implies a basic lack of respect for the people in question. Yeah, television execs do it all the time-and every year for the last decade television has gotten less profitable. These demo-obsessed TV execs are the same mental giants who canceled the likes of Futurama, Clerks: The Series and Boston Public, while keeping garbage like Friends and Will & Grace on the air for years, so you'll forgive me if I'm not in a hurry to warm up to their point of view. Wink

Stueypark wrote:

You even helped prove my point a bit by saying you didn't plan to buy the DVDs... I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread say they've been buying them. It's just not a profitable series. Japan has some better mystery series (not animated yet) which hopefully will get made some day.

As I said before, my decision not to buy the series stems mainly from FUNimation's low episode-per-disc count (even at twenty bucks, I can't afford to collect the series in any serious way, at least not while I'm still in college) not from the quality of the show. If FUNI comes out with low priced box sets later on, I might get one of those, but last I heard they had no plans for box sets. In any case, I DO plan to get the manga once it catches up to where Adult Swim left off.

As for the show not being profitable, not profitable in what sense? In the sense that ratings on CN have been great, just not "demographically correct?" In the sense that the DVD's are selling quite well for anime releases? (Amazon reports that the first disc is outselling the likes of Inu Yasha and Dragon Ball GT, and its rank is just slightly below Yu-Gi-Oh) In the sense that it's one of the most successfull anime series ever on a global scale? In the sense that the creator is the second richest manga-ka in the country (after Rumiko Takahashi) based almost entierly on the success on that one series?

I agree with you on one point, though-there ARE better mystery series out there (ATTN Anime Companies-You WILL liscence Kindaichi Case Files. Look into my eyes... Shocked )
but that doesen't mean Conan is a bad show on its own.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote
At Nan Desu Kon ADV is expected to anounce their linceing of Monster.
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed to see the news that AS won't be going for additional new Case Closed episodes. That means they'll probably give it the Lupin treatment - rerun the episodes they already have until the contract expires, but not buy any new ones. That's unfortunate. And a mistake. I personally know adults in the target demo who started watching AS because of Conan, people who previously dismissed anime (and AS) as idiocy.

The pity is that Conan really doesn't neatly fit a demographic category, and all of Cartoon Network is broken out by demographics. The only place on CN for Conan other than AS might be that 1-2 a.m. odd anime spot on Friday nights. But CN wouldn't put Conan there unless they got the new episodes practically for free.

I've seen online comments that Case Closed was generally well-received by the segment of AS fandom that posts on messageboards, but the mass of AS viewers (who generally don't post online) tended to be turned off by Conan. Fools.

As to AS' acquisition of Super Milk-chan, it's clear that they've been listening to the fans who've been lobbying AS for months to start running comedy anime. Milk-chan was kind of a surprising choice given the amount of cussing they do, but its off-the-wall referential humor was probably just the thing to tickle the AS staff's funnybone because it's sorta like ATHF and South Park merged and then got a Japanese makeover. But some of the AS comedy fans were a bit miffed by the idea that an anime will be invading their domain.

I think ADV was willing to put the past aside and deal with CN on Milk-chan because, if it caught on, this little-known series would get a really big boost from exposure on AS and DVD sales would climb. The ADV folks certainly got the lesson taught by Family Guy. The downside risk is that Milk-chan comes up a dud. We'll see. (^_*)
Stueypark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
wow, someone else who actually knows what the Kindaichi Case Files actually are!

I use success in the comprative terms, since Adult Swim is succesful enough to measure that way now.

Futurama, Family Guy, and AquaTeen/Sealab routinely come in 1st in their time slots for cable television (18-34). Inu Yasha has a number of times come in first with reruns, Case Closed on the otherhand hasn't. It is drawing viewers and revanue, but CN feels it can do better (and probably already has a show lined up to replace it).
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes. I think CN doesn't want to show the dub with the Japanese references.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HattoriHeiji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan is actually more "adult" than one might think. It's not really a wonder the demographics in Japan and Germany/Austria go up to 40+.

But both Japan and Germany and Austria are totally crime story crazy. The sheer amount of different kinds of mystery and crime series (live action) is extremely high. Did you know the second-most successful (live action) series internationally after "Baywatch", measured by the amount of countries sold to, is an Austrian crime series about a police dog, titled "Kommissar Rex"? ("Commissar Rex").

So there's definitely an audience there for Detective Conan, which is the second-best rated anime show in Germany and Austria, by the way (and they were able to call it "Detektiv Conan" there too, completely without name changes). Detective Conan achieved that without any DVD release, and without any license for merchandising - there was only a license to air the series in Germany up until recently (due to trademark trouble with the name "Conan" which have now been resolved - so now they can start actually promoting Detective Conan, which might actually make it the number one anime in those german speaking countries). Yesterday, the first of a new batch of episodes (184-253) was aired on german tv.

North America does have an audience for crime series too, even for crime series without much action, where the deduction stands at first place (which is the type of show Detective Conan is - there IS a strong main plot that develops slowly, but people mainly watch it for the "daily detective story" where they can use their braincells a bit, just like some people do their daily crossword puzzle). Also popular series like Monk, which fall into the very same audience show that Detective Conan does have an audience.

The problem might really be the programming of CN. While there IS an audience, none of them are probably typical watchers of CN Anime blocks. "Detective Conan" is far too unusual for an anime - almost atypical - in the general mainstream thinking of what anime is (which almost instantly triggers thoughts of fanservice, big boobs, action, cuteness). Detective Conan's cynical and sometimes dry humour (for instance the self-conscious, self-confident, almost arrogant, cynical attitude of Shinichi/Conan, while still being a sympathetical person - quite the opposite of loser character types like Keitarou) also doesn't fall into what mainstream audiences generally think of anime.

So unless there's a concept change in the programming of CN, I dont think we're gonna see any more Case Closed aired. But I at least hope that the DVD releases will continue (though this is a daunting task with so many episodes - Detective Conan is really a show designed to be aired, really). Also, I think the very strong japanese references in Detective Conan might have been a problem for CN - after all, while they did keep a lot, there are even stronger cultural references in future episodes, including mysteries based on japanese legends, or japanese characters. Or even references to european mystery literature (like Kaitou Kid is obviously a reference to the french mystery gentleman thief Arsène Lupin, the name of which should be familiar to those Lupin 3rd fans of you. But even Lupin 3rd's name originates from that character - and eventually all gentleman thieves even in anime, like Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, or DNAngel). It's these many, hundreds, of references that also make Detective Conan an unusual and fun show for those "suiri otaku" (mystery/deduction otaku, as Ran likes to call Shinichi).

If it completely halts or is cancelled in all mediums (tv, dvd, manga), maybe this would be one of the first series where fansubbing has to rescue it... after all, wasn't the original intention of fansubbing to promote certain anime series that fans wanted to be released in their own country?

Ah well, I'll keep watching the (quite excellent, though not perfect, but still better than Case Closed) dubbing on the german tv station "RTL2".

PS: Detective Conan's animation gets a lot better. It wasn't bad in the beginning (for its time), but it goes with time (goes to digicolor later). What I like about it is also the untypical drawing style, a trademark of mangaka Goshou Aoyama. It's good looking (well, the ears in the anime in the first around 80 eps are too big compared to the manga, but oh well...), while being unique.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6