• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Anime Updates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
Quote:
Case Closed is a series with no good target audience. It's too intelligent for younger children (tame by mystery standards, but still above the heads of children) and too childish for the older crowd. 18+ year olds don't tend to go for shows that have 6 year olds (or however old he is) as heroes.

I'm a 19 year old male and I was enjoying the show until I noticed that everyone's name was changed and how cheesy the diologue was getting. I tried to ignore it at first because Funimation used a good voice cast (even if it's the same people they always use). But after a while I noticed that no one had a Japanese first name. I also noticed all of the digital text edits in the background or on screen. It looked horrible and it killed the experience. It made me wonder just who they were doing this for. It's on Adult Swin so it can't be for little kids. Considering the other shows on their anime line up it can't be for average American adults. So in that sense you're right that there was no good target audience. Funimation has once again tried to turn a hit Japanese show into a cheesy Americanized piece of crap just like they did with DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho(although this show doomed from the minut Yuske came back to life)
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Yu-yu-hakusho was not in any way, americanized. They didn't even change the names.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Detective Conan really doesn't fit on any of Cartoon Network's programming blocks that play anime. It's a misfit, and they tried to put it where they thought it'd fit best. It'd be like them trying to find a decent spot for, say, Haibane Renmei or Ah! My Goddess. They just don't have one.

I gotta disagree with you there. I think Haibane Renmei would do very well on Adult Swim. Haibane Renmei has a very solid story and each episode will keep you wanting more. Plus it's only 13 episodes. You'd get a sort of Wolf's Rain fanbase from Haibane. Oh My Goddess would do good as well because it would attract the Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina audience. Case Closed didn't really fit any audience because of how poorly the American version was.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
At Nan Desu Kon ADV is expected to anounce their linceing of Monster.

That'll be a feat since I don't believe any ADV reps will be there.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I gotta disagree with you there. I think Haibane Renmei would do very well on Adult Swim. Haibane Renmei has a very solid story and each episode will keep you wanting more. Plus it's only 13 episodes. You'd get a sort of Wolf's Rain fanbase from Haibane.

I highly doubt it. While the Adult Swim crowd isn't as ADD-minded as the Toonami/Miguzi audience, they still require some form of instant gratification. If it doesn't have action or comedy it's very likely going to bomb. Haibane has virtually zero action and nothing of the kind of comedy the AS crowd is used to. It'd be like Witch Hunter Robin or Big O all over again; it'd naturally get a small, loyal fanbase (given how it's easily one of the greatest, most well-written animated series in the past couple decades, IMO), but the majority would just pass it off as "boring" or "not making any sense." It isn't spelled out from step one and doesn't excite their senses, so it'd tragically bomb.

I'd love to be wrong here, but the majority of Adult Swim's viewers haven't given me good reason to think I would be.

Romuska wrote:
Oh My Goddess would do good as well because it would attract the Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina audience. Case Closed didn't really fit any audience because of how poorly the American version was.

It'd likely fare better than Haibane, but it lacks the cheap "OMG BOOBS AND CHICK VIOLENCE" factor that keeps people watching Love Hina (a series, unfortunately, more tuned to the AS crowd's "tastes"). And aside from a few die-hard hangers on, it seems as though the Tenchi fanbase has virtually scattered to the wind.

Again, I'd really like to be proven wrong here, but...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I agree with you on one point, though-there ARE better mystery series out there (ATTN Anime Companies-You WILL liscence Kindaichi Case Files. Look into my eyes... Shocked )but that doesen't mean Conan is a bad show on its own.

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?! ...
Eh, I guess I wouldn't mind ADV getting it, but anyone else...I don't want to let my lovely Tom Cruise-lookalike (ew...jk) be killed by Funi...

because see, ADV actually licensed live action stuff too...hehehe. I'm sorry, but live action Hajime-chan is soooooooooo much cuter than the anime version...
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I highly doubt it. While the Adult Swim crowd isn't as ADD-minded as the Toonami/Miguzi audience, they still require some form of instant gratification. If it doesn't have action or comedy it's very likely going to bomb. Haibane has virtually zero action and nothing of the kind of comedy the AS crowd is used to. It'd be like Witch Hunter Robin or Big O all over again

Oooh, that's a good point. But you have to admit, Witch Hunter Robin wasn't much a series to begin with. The characters were really boring and Robin just moped around in every episode. In the end it seemed like there was no point. But you're definitley right that Haibane would attract it's own fan base just like it has on DVD. But it would be nice if they gave it a chance on TV. The dub is great and there's nothing to edit. It would be interesting to see how that goes. I always figured it would be like FLCL in the sense that it's a short series and would only have to air about twice anyway.
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:46 am Reply with quote
I find it hard to believe that this "instant lack of gratification" is the sole reason why so many people aren't liking this series. In my handful of close friends that watch Adult Swim for both the comedy and anime shows, all of them think this show is terrible. This show just does not deliver for the American audience. Here's why:

1. It's got that classic case of anime cheesiness where the key focal points of the plot do not conform to any sense of logic. Conan makes strange jumps in reasoning every episode and he often does not make any sense. This may work in DBZ, where the show also tries to sell itself on dramatic battles and fighting for morals and such, where no one expects the plot to make much sense, but it fails for a show where it seems as if the plot should be the number one thing going for it.

2. The show just isn't visually pleasing. Anime is a visual medium and therefore it's a good thing when an anime is visually gratifying. In this anime, the characters look ugly, nothing exciting ever happens, and the art looks dull. Just because a show has a good plot (which Conan really doesn't), isn't an excuse for not being pleasing to look at. Haibane Renmei still manages to look good despite being "slow". Conan should too if it's expected to compete.

3. No one wants to watch a show about a kid who looks 5. I know, I know, he's actually much older but that hardly matters. Me along with my friends have a hard time relating to some little ankle-biting squirt who looks like he's about to get beat up for his lunch money. He's no one's ideal hero.

This is, at least, the reason why my group of friends completely detests this show. Half of them have seen and enjoyed Haibane Renmei, Monster, and so on. It's not just the lack of action that's keeping this series down. It just doesn't offer a single thing to American culture.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
2. The show just isn't visually pleasing. Anime is a visual medium and therefore it's a good thing when an anime is visually gratifying. In this anime, the characters look ugly, nothing exciting ever happens, and the art looks dull. Just because a show has a good plot (which Conan really doesn't), isn't an excuse for not being pleasing to look at. Haibane Renmei still manages to look good despite being "slow". Conan should too if it's expected to compete.

We established the fact that the visuals don't really have much to do with the ratings. If animation was a key factor to success on TV don't you think that we would have said goodbye to Lupin III a long time ago?
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:29 am Reply with quote
Lupin's characters aren't ugly though. Yes, the animation does suck, but the art is still quite good. Lupin has a very stylized look which helps it immensely. It has that retro yet possibly badass look. It manages to float with some people.

Conan just looks safe, boring, round, and ugly. It looks to much like every other generic and safe show to entice people to continue watching. And that is the difference.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:53 am Reply with quote
I still say that the biggest problem was just the fact that it didn't have a good targeted audience for that time slot. Name changes and what not won't attract anyone, and the whole theme of the show isn't going to attract a lot of people. I enjoyed Detective Conan, in Japanese with proper names and text. Case Closed was just put on at a bad time. It's not a late night show.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:47 am Reply with quote
I don't think that Conan makes any stranger jumps to conclusions than the investigators on CSI do. I mean, they smack you with some stupid little detail at the end and the guy no one was considering is brought back in and convicted. And no one can say that CSI isn't popular, what with it's 2 spinoffs. It's practically taking over whatever station it's on.

I'm more inclined to believe that Case Closed is just a misfit with no place at CN. It makes sense after reading several member's opinions.

I'm not sure if I said this before, but I like the animation. I don't think it really looks old. It didn't detract from the show at all to me. Now Lupin's animation made me turn away, but after watching the 5th episode, I decided to give it a chance and watch it. And I'm glad I did. I enjoy it.

Also, I should correct myself from earlier. I said that I wasn't planning on buying the series, but that's just the short version. I was all set to go out and buy the DVDs, when a little thought came to me... it said that I should be patient and wait for a box set since Funi seems to do that with their series, and since it's a long running series. I'm already 'stuck' buying individual volumes for other series. You could say that I 'fell for it', but I can't stop as I'm in the middle of seasons/have a couple discs of the series already. I was trying to be smart and money-saving this time, so I convinced myself to wait. *shrugs*
HattoriHeiji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Fazz89x wrote:
I find it hard to believe that this "instant lack of gratification" is the sole reason why so many people aren't liking this series. In my handful of close friends that watch Adult Swim for both the comedy and anime shows, all of them think this show is terrible. This show just does not deliver for the American audience. Here's why:

1. It's got that classic case of anime cheesiness where the key focal points of the plot do not conform to any sense of logic. Conan makes strange jumps in reasoning every episode and he often does not make any sense. This may work in DBZ, where the show also tries to sell itself on dramatic battles and fighting for morals and such, where no one expects the plot to make much sense, but it fails for a show where it seems as if the plot should be the number one thing going for it.

I disagree. While the story with the shrinking is a bit far fetched, the cases are laid out very well, and are truly a hommage to classics such as Sherlock Holmes or the Agatha Christie novels. In the manga this becomes even more obvious. Goshou Aoyama-san is a huge crime/mystery story fan, and it shows.

And as I already said, the main plot is strong, but it's not the focal point. Detective Conan is to be enjoyed as one enjoys his daily crossword puzzle: like a daily detective story where you can use your braincells a bit. I know, that's not really what the standard anime fan seeks. And there lies the problem.

Fazz89x wrote:

Totally wrong. The art at the beginning has too huge ears, and needs getting used to, but once you get into it, you realize that the unique art is Detective Conan's strong point. It doesn't conform to the regular Anime pattern. It stands on its own and is instantly recognizeable. It's fresh, and different.

And later, even the ear proportions as well as the "technique" (digicoloring etc.) improves, so Detective Conan is one of the better looking long-running tv animes out there. I'd call things like DBZ or One Piece way more ugly than Detective Conan, but that's only my opinion.

Detective Conan isn't "slow", it just isn't about advancing the main plot fast.

Fazz89x wrote:

3. No one wants to watch a show about a kid who looks 5. I know, I know, he's actually much older but that hardly matters. Me along with my friends have a hard time relating to some little ankle-biting squirt who looks like he's about to get beat up for his lunch money. He's no one's ideal hero.

Actually, he is. First of all, I hate the typical super-muscle type of hero. Many people who watch anime do, because "overpowerful" super heroes are usually typical of american animation and comics. Anime's best point is that there are heroes that do not just have super powers or muscles. Hell, many anime series feature even total loser characters.

Now, Conan/Shinichi is the total opposite of those loser characters. As he says about his idol Sherlock Holmes, he's always calm, never loses his cool, and uses his best weapon: his brain. IMO, that's a value that should be emphasized more in the American market, but I do understand that "using brains" isn't something american "cartoon fans" usually look for.

And Shinichi's rare appearances just reek of coolness.

Fazz89x wrote:

This is, at least, the reason why my group of friends completely detests this show. Half of them have seen and enjoyed Haibane Renmei, Monster, and so on. It's not just the lack of action that's keeping this series down. It just doesn't offer a single thing to American culture.

I agree that it doesn't fit the typical "American Culture". but that would be more a problem of what you call "American Culture".

But on the other hand, series like "Monk" are very successful. And Detective Conan is totally in the same category as Monk: a Detective show where the episodic cases are more important than the main plot, but the main plot gets advanced every now and then (with Monk it's the search for his wife's murderer, with Conan it's the search for the Black Syndicate). Both also feature one thing that I think does fit American Culture and would be the key point to its success: Humour that isn't silly, but is based on character comedy, in case of Conan, it's the cynical humour that also make it popular. The way Conan rolls his eyes when someone else does something stupid is just ingenious. Also the humour generated by how he actually doesn't really like kids.

Anyway, I think Detective Conan is a far more valuable show than DBZ is. It contains so much knowledge, so many cultural references, it makes you use for brain (though admittedly not all cases are great, mostly the anime original cases are not as good), and it's funny. I think it does have a potential audience in America.

Last edited by HattoriHeiji on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
HattoriHeiji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Fazz89x wrote:
Conan just looks safe, boring, round, and ugly. It looks to much like every other generic and safe show to entice people to continue watching. And that is the difference.

You obviously do not know enough about Conan if you're able to make such an obviously false statement.

Admittedly, it doesn't look that good in the first around 70 episodes, but it gets a lot better (more close to the manga's style, smaller ears).

And, there are many people who actually like this style, because it's unique and good looking. And it's not about huge boobs or super muscles either.. the people look natural, and good. That's what Conan fans like.
Moonstruck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I watch Conan and I love it. While I ignore the American names, the show just thrills me every time I watch it. Sure the mysteries fly over my head, but the Law and Order episodes do too and I'm still watching all three of that series.

Yes, the art is not like most anime shows, but I don't care. Art is not the defining basics on whether or not a show should succeed. If art was the basics then how come this show lasted so long in Japan?

I'm going to miss Conan! Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6