• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Anime News Network Magazine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
While I'd love to see ANN expand, a magazine does sound a bit risky for good reasons already brought up. It would have to have something really special about it to draw attention to it over all the other anime magazines out there. Anyone have any ideas besides a magazine that ANN could expand upon?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Anyone have any ideas besides a magazine that ANN could expand upon?

Maybe a US anime distribution company.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Jadress wrote:

Now that's an overcrowded market.
OrsonHyuri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Jadress wrote:

Now that's an overcrowded market.

I agree, just look at this directory page: http://www.animeondvd.com/studio/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote
kyuu wrote:
but I strongly dislike the "international feel" of the site

We have an international feel?

I wasn't aware of that, and it certainly wasn't on purpose. As much as I/We'd love to server anime fans all over the world, we've never even attempted to server, or attract readers ourside of North America.

With the news every day, my goal is to provide news that is important or of interest to North American readers, so the only international items posted, are posted for the benefit of North American readers.

Don't get me wrong, its not that I don't care about international anime fans, as I said, I'd love to provide them with suitable content. But we only have limited resources, and for now those resources are focussed entirely on the North American market.

-t

/me is amused at how many people have assumed that this poll means we have actual plans to publish a magazine.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:58 am Reply with quote
Well, it is... unusual to generate interest in a possible magazine by creating this poll unless you have something in mind. What else could you have possibly been expecting?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:55 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
kyuu wrote:
but I strongly dislike the "international feel" of the site

We have an international feel?

I wasn't aware of that, and it certainly wasn't on purpose. As much as I/We'd love to server anime fans all over the world, we've never even attempted to server, or attract readers ourside of North America.

With the news every day, my goal is to provide news that is important or of interest to North American readers, so the only international items posted, are posted for the benefit of North American readers.

Don't get me wrong, its not that I don't care about international anime fans, as I said, I'd love to provide them with suitable content. But we only have limited resources, and for now those resources are focussed entirely on the North American market.

-t

/me is amused at how many people have assumed that this poll means we have actual plans to publish a magazine.

Well, why bring it up unless the thought has crossed your mind? It's not like people just jumped to the conclusion with no reason.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quote
This is not international....ohhh....ok...I'll leave. I guess this answers the first question I did, xD.

However, I don't care wether if this has an international feeling or is doesn't. The Encyclopedia is something great, lots of well experimented users, with sense, etc. Just because I live thousands of kilometres far away of America (do they arrive to the million), that doesn't I can't come here (thankfully, to internet). It's either a really good place for anime news, which I combine with another one (this for general news, out of Spain, and the other for spanish news, hehe).

Thought, I guess I can only appreciate the web. If someday, for any reason you decide to make a meeting, probably I wouldn't come.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
Well, why bring it up unless the thought has crossed your mind? It's not like people just jumped to the conclusion with no reason.

Yes, and I'd also like to have enough money to make my own TV series.. but I don't see that happening any time soon. :(

Thoughts and money are two very different things, and the latter is really what matters for implementation of these things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:09 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing ANN have its own mag. It would be a great since its the only source I really turn too for News.

If the magazine really PUSHED for MORE News Coverage, or even likea Monthly round up of news for the month. Expand with comments from the staff. That would be cool.

But what do you mean by magazine, full fledge Mag like AnimeInsider, Animerica, or even NewType or is it a small publication with editorials, and what not?

Doh, i'm going to go back and read the post again, I've gone and confused myself
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote
No thanks, I rather read Newtype. hell I pay $90 for a year of it.
kyuu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Then perhaps you should express it a bit? If you ignore all the news ideas and con information from non-US areas, I'd really appreciate it was mentioned.

I know as a fact a LOT of .fi people (meaning probably a lot of other eu people as well) read ANN several times a week as it is a great source for many news. Of course, it's absolutely your choice to only focus on US events, but I'd appreciate you saving so many (dozens of?) people the time of sending information on local cons, events and other important news to you, if they just don't matter. Maybe something on the "contact us" page?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
kyuu wrote:
if they just don't matter. Maybe something on the "contact us" page?

To say that they "don't matter" is not refelective of how we feel. Its more that we simply aren't able to serve them right now.

However, otherwise, you are correct, I'll think about the wording to add something like that to the FAQ and the contact-us page.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Cookie, your own anime looks really good. Somehow, does Danalyzer have ultra-powers? Such a name...xD

One more thing, have you ever though about how expensive would the magazine be? Confused
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I think a mag would be a great idea. But, as previously stated, it's a tough business. To put together a full fledged magazine - not just a "fan-zine" type print-out - it takes a big investment of a lot of time and money. Also, magazines usually have information that's at least a month old - for those of us used to the multiple daily updates this site offers, a mag might tarnish your image of being the source for up-to-date news. That's the only thing that has stopped me from subscribing to new-type. Well, that and the hefty cover charge - free vs. $80/yr.
If you're really serious about something like this, why not try something like an e-zine. Put something together in a popular format like Macromedia Flash, and mail it out on CD-R. Or develop it for PS2/Xbox. With today's CD Duplicators, speeds are much faster than printing a whole Magazine, and most everybody has access to a PC, PS2 or Xbox. This might be the best way to go to make sure the info you put out is timely. Also, it could be much more interactive than just a magazine, which would make it more attractive, IMHO. Heck, you could even have previews, trailers, and advertisements to web links to help cover the production and duplication costs. PS2 and Xbox would probably be tougher to code/setup for and probably get expensive with licensing costs, but Flash sounds like a winner to me.
Whadya think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4