• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question: What if METROPOLIS is a hit?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaiser Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as a matter of opinion, I feel that Metropolis will do well enough. I have seen both the original Fritz Lang silent film, and the anime knock off, and both are very good. Also, NPR gave it a better review than they did for Mononoke, so thats a good sign.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Kaiser Mike wrote:

Speaking as a matter of opinion, I feel that Metropolis will do well enough.

Well, before last weekend (and I'm using the numbers for the weekend before last, because BoxOfficeMojo.com hasn't yet posted the full B.O. results from this past weekend), Metropolis had made $309 209 on 13 screens. These results are positive in that Tristar considered it enough of a success to expand it further (probably to 30 to 40 screens max; it's not going to be a breakout mainstream hit like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which made $128 067 808 at the North American box office), yet I also find it a little depressing in that it shows how tiny a market the domestic audience for adult animation is; that Tristar would consider $300 000 to be successful shows how low their expectations were. I guess they were counting that most of the profit from this endeavour would come from the DVD sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3