• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Tale of Two Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Oh man, the world of Dragon Ball dubs is a big one. We've got dubs made in Canada, the US, Malaysia, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong and maybe even more.

The Harmony Gold dub of Dragonball in which Goku was renamed as Zero, Bulma was renamed Lena, and Karin as Whiskers the Wonder Cat Shocked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYCW9OPbFY Laughing

The mexican dub of Saint Seiya had two dubs for the Hades Chapter, one for TV and one for DVD (which has the original voices)
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Possibly speaking heresy, but I actually preferred Cynthia Martinez's Lina Inverse.
Well for me at least this is like a hot pitchfork to the heart, and I'm sure there are other fans would want to hunt you down. I think Lisa Ortiz was the most brilliant choice for Lina possible, and she remains my 2nd most favorite English VA to date. I even almost preferred her over Megumi Hayashibara's Lina in Japanese.

Oh that reminds me, does anyone else remember the very *first* dub of Project A-Ko, the one where everyone doesn't have southern accents? I loved that dub but they felt the need to redo it, because it was another instance where the rights changed hands, probably. The good dub I'm talking about is the one where the girl who played Shampoo from Ranma 1/2 did the voice for the very inoccuous and loveable C-Ko Laughing
lem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
So glad I missed out on the craptastic "Warriors of the Wind" version. I didn't know about the 2 versions of Arietty, I'll have to visit the amzn UK site to pick up that version too.

Quote:
Eventually, boutique label Bandai Visual USA (also known as, of course, Honneamise) issued the movie, complete with the Manga dub, on an attractive and somewhat overpriced 2-disc DVD/bluray set. (It also came out on DVD/HD-DVD. Did anyone buy that version? Anyone?) That one is still pretty easy to find, and if you love anime's ambition and potential, I urge you to check it out.

back then I had already owned the single regular dvd version so when this was finally re-released I snapped it up thinking I would eventually pick up an HD player. Of course we all know how that worked out for everyone that bought into the HD DVD format... Laughing

Quote:
I can't watch great anime dubbed; it offends my sensibilities as the Japanese seiyū are so extraordinarily attuned to the work, which I believe comes from a fundamental difference of respect for the medium.

I therefore treasure great subtitles that allow me to follow the emotional nuances of the works without being distracted.

Just been re-watching "Millenium Actress" with subtle subtitling & the Japanese 5.1 audio, can't be beat.

Please do an article on the great subtitle translators (Toren et al?).

Nico M
London

I think it's more a combination of things than just the particular Japanese voices themselves. When you have the Japanese Director, original creator, scriptwriter, and or mangaka, etc., all together from Day 1, and all on the same page as to what they want to hear from the respective characters, then you obviously have more in your favor at achieving the desired result don't you? If it was you doing the work, which would you prefer? Being able to communicate on every aspect of the production with the original creators? or just being handed a final version, and then you having to interpret everything?
Is it any surprise the results would give off that "picture painted from a picture" effect, or the sense that you've just become witness to a "sloppy seconds" effort? That said, if I already paid for the disc, and I have the option, then I'll probably give the English language version a chance. Saying it is a matter of "difference of respect for the medium" is more blanket statement than anything else, and not really fair to those that actually do a decent job with the English dub. And that's coming from a sub fan (Megumi Hayashibara, Megumi Toyoguchi, Atsuko Tanaka, and Sakiko Tamagawa, are just a few I've really enjoyed listening to).
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
The Animax Asia english dubbed version of K-ON! and K-ON!! was dubbed by Bramp International Limited HK,they're the ones who dubbed Hayate The Combat Butler in English dubs.Though RAM and Bramp use the same voice talents/dubbers in most of their projects.

The Animax Asia dub version of Red Garden which was dubbed in the Philippines (the same company that dubbed Nodame,Toward The Terra,Inu Yasha The Final Act,Fairy Tail and others) was a bit better than the ADV english dub version. Laughing

The Philippine english dub version of To Heart dubbed by Telesuccess was also good! Wink Laughing
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Oh that reminds me, does anyone else remember the very *first* dub of Project A-Ko, the one where everyone doesn't have southern accents? I loved that dub but they felt the need to redo it, because it was another instance where the rights changed hands, probably. The good dub I'm talking about is the one where the girl who played Shampoo from Ranma 1/2 did the voice for the very inoccuous and loveable C-Ko Laughing

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=954175#954175

jsevakis wrote:
I don't know where you got this from, but it's patently false. There is only one dub of the first movie, and it was the London-based Manga UK cast. That's what's on the DVD, and the original VHS. (CPM actually didn't even know how to produce their own dubs when that was released, hence getting Manga UK to help.)

All the sequels were Ocean dubs, though, and do feature Cathy Weseluk as C-ko.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
If anyone can point me in the direction of that Twin Spica dub, I would be eternally grateful. Very Happy

Streamline also did dubs of both Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service, which I prefer to the Disney dubs.

Pazu sounds more like a child and not a teenager in Streamline's dub, and as for Kiki, they left Jiji's cat sound effects intact, instead of the Disney dub, which had Phil Hartman saying "Meow!"

Unfortunately, the Japanese R2 dvd's only have the Disney dubs. I've heard that the Streamline dubs for both Laputa and Kiki are on the Japanese laserdisc releases, but can't confirm till I find and buy!

Of course, I'd be remiss not to mention both L.A. Hero/Manga and Media Blaster's dubs of Giant Robo. I like them both, but usually gravitate towards the original...While not as accurate, its over-the-top fun perfectly captures the tone of the OVA!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:
If anyone can point me in the direction of that Twin Spica dub, I would be eternally grateful. Very Happy

Animax Asia hasn't aired it in years, so I presume the license expired. Best bet would be to wait and see if Sony puts it up on Crackle. Only other source I could think of would be bootleg DVDs or some fan uploading a home recording.
Charlie_Conway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:
Of course, I'd be remiss not to mention both L.A. Hero/Manga and Media Blaster's dubs of Giant Robo. I like them both, but usually gravitate towards the original...While not as accurate, its over-the-top fun perfectly captures the tone of the OVA!

I like the original LA dub as well, but one thing that bothered me was it's lack of Consistency with the cast. Daisaku had 3 different VAs throughout 7 episodes.... Chujo, Youshi, and Kenji had different VAs in the last episode. It didn't completely kill the dub or anything, but it was annoying
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
wrote:
I can't watch great anime dubbed; it offends my sensibilities as the Japanese seiyū are so extraordinarily attuned to the work, which I believe comes from a fundamental difference of respect for the medium.

Rose tinted glasses my friend

Have you ever heard a bad Japanese dub? No? I have, if you're not familiar with the language, you're going to put the original on a pedestal because its foreign to you. English dubs are easy to critique because its normal to us and we can fine comb it considerably easier. Fundamental respect? From the mainstream public sure, but have you ever heard Brad Swaile, Johnny Bosch or Greg Ayres talk about roles? They love what they do, but more importantly they respect the role and the anime, and most times will re-do it to perfection, trying there hardest to make it a good dub, because they are extraordinarily attuned to their work.

So please, if it "offends your senses" you need to broaden those oh so ignorant senses of yours a bit Rolling Eyes
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So please, if it "offends your senses" you need to broaden those oh so ignorant senses of yours a bit Rolling Eyes

The problem is those very excellent American actors you mention are not part of Japanese culture. They don't understand the multiple meanings, the word-play, the ancient vocal traditions of Kabuki... I won't go on.

How American to take this personally. You prefer dubs is fine with me.

NMM
London
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:43 am Reply with quote
Warriors of the Wind wasn't a bad dub; it was just badly edited, ~20-min worth of eco-lovin' cut out to change the meaning of the film. But Zandra sounded a lot like the great June Foray that someone had to ask her about it to confirm. Laughing

Anyways, besides the Disney dubs, there were also the Japan Airlines dub of Castle in the Sky and the Carl Macek dub of Totoro released by Troma Pictures of Toxic Avenger fame.

nicomorr wrote:
Quote:

The problem is those very excellent American actors you mention are not part of Japanese culture. They don't understand the multiple meanings, the word-play, the ancient vocal traditions of Kabuki... I won't go on.

What do those have to do with anything? Most anime don't even have those. Acting is acting is acting. Besides, one could say that the Blues and Jazz hail from the African-American experience of the South USA; yet Yoko Kanno, of neither black nor Southern, plays those just fine. Anything can be learned when one puts in the hard work. If you think the J-seiyuu acting is better, that's simply fine.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
A favorite show of mine that got dubbed twice is the original Gall Force movie. I talked about it in my review of the film. One was a hong kong kung fu dubbing studio, the other is a more modern NYC dub.

Ah yes, good old Omi Productions - memorable to many a Hong Kong movie fan! They even did an alternate dub of the SAC series in more recent times!

Back when Manga were a UK operation they dubbed all of their own material in-house, resulting in many UK-only dubs that were supplanted with US dubs on the other side of the Pacific. Unfortunately, many of these UK dubs never made it to DVD (and those that did in R2-land invariably didn't include the Japanese soundtrack), but I felt particular losses were the Manga dubs of Doomed Megalopolis and Ultimate Teacher.

Speaking of UK-originated dubs, there's also the case of Urusei Yatsura, which had two episodes dubbed by the BBC, and two episodes dubbed by AnimEigo (back when they licensed anime). These few episodes pale in comparison to the many more that were actually dubbed into English for Animax, where the series was also known as Alien Musibat.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Speaking of UK-originated dubs, there's also the case of Urusei Yatsura, which had two episodes dubbed by the BBC, and two episodes dubbed by AnimEigo (back when they licensed anime). These few episodes pale in comparison to the many more that were actually dubbed into English for Animax, where the series was also known as Alien Musibat.

Wasn't it called "Lamu the Invader Girl" on Animax?
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Man, I'm still bummed Fantastic Children got such a shoddy dub. That show deserved better. Alas... Confused

I hope someone brings over Nodame Cantabile someday, since it's already gotten an English version.

The Odex english dub version of Fantastic Children is much better than the Animax Asia english dub version.

Bamble its Omni Productions Ltd HK and not Omi Productions. Laughing They still exist. Laughing
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Prede wrote:
As for the K-on Animax dub, i just love it. Sure it's sloppy, sure it's not perfect, but it seems like the actors really cared and it shows. There's a lot to like about this less then perfect dub.

Yeah. I'm watching the current re-run on Animax Asia. I guess casting Candice Moore as three regular characters (Tsumugi, Sawako, and Azusa) in the first season counts as sloppy, but keeping the Japanese honorifics and "Azu-nyan" in the dub was fun.
Sounds like listening to this Animax dub would be akin to sending my ears and sensibilities to Hell. There's a place for a dub laden with Japanese: the Japanese dub track. Suddenly I feel like pardoning the Bang/Zoom dub of K-On! of its faults.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8