• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Tale of Two Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
I for one LOVE Animax's english dub of Hayate the Combat Butler...Maria has a British accent Very Happy

Candice Moore. These days she seems to have stopped doing anime dubs (though there are reruns of her old dubs), and mostly does voice-over announcing for Fox International Channels Asia.

http://hk.linkedin.com/in/candicemoorehk

There's a brief scene in the Hayate OVA where she plays a character with a Scottish accent.

Such a shame Animax dubbed stuff is relatively hard to find, even through less than legal means. Thats why I usually only get to watch their dubs whenever I'm in Hong Kong, so only a few times a year.

If you have a good place for Animax dubs then by all means, please direct me that way.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
DaisakuKusama wrote:
If anyone can point me in the direction of that Twin Spica dub, I would be eternally grateful. Very Happy

Animax Asia hasn't aired it in years, so I presume the license expired. Best bet would be to wait and see if Sony puts it up on Crackle. Only other source I could think of would be bootleg DVDs or some fan uploading a home recording.

Thank you for letting me know. We can only keep our fingers crossed!

Charlie_Conway wrote:
I like the original LA dub as well, but one thing that bothered me was it's lack of Consistency with the cast. Daisaku had 3 different VAs throughout 7 episodes.... Chujo, Youshi, and Kenji had different VAs in the last episode. It didn't completely kill the dub or anything, but it was annoying

Agreed. Daisaku's voice alone is a case study in why many productions opt to use a single, female voice actress for young boy characters in series that might last more than a few years!

About the changing of VA's in the last episode, I was able to talk to one of the dubbing team when they visited my work. He told me they tried to get everyone back after the infamous two-year delay between episodes 6 and 7, but were unable to do so. It's especially jarring when Kenji opens his mouth and sounds nothing like the guy in the first six episodes!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't think either English dub of Giant Robo is very good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
To me, the LA dub of Giant Robo only became watchable starting with episode 3. The first two episodes sounded like half the actors were constantly on sugar highs or suffering from Speed Racer syndrome. The Media Blasters' dub on the other hand, while overall more consistant, feels pretty bland after having watched all of the LA dub first. :/
Zump

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Cowboy Bebop dubbed by ADV
It'd be awesome and far better than the horrendous dub it was given. The extant dub of Cowboy Bebop almost made me a "sub-purist" for life.
Quote:
Fullmetal Alchemist dubbed by Ocean Group
Interesting. For truly a truly bizarre alternate-dub-universe, I envision Brian Drummond as Al.
Quote:
[W]ould Revolutionary Girl Utena get a great dub if it had been produced by Bang Zoom and directed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn?
We don't need to see other universes to answer that question. The answer is no. A deep, resounding, stalwart NO. Just as the Pope is Catholic and the Sun rises in the east, this hypothetical dub would suck, and suck horribly.
Quote:
Pondering it is almost like reading those alternate history novels.
While I've found those to be fun, sometimes they just suck. Just as the ones where Britain retains control of America suck (Code Geass also comes to mind), so would a bang/zoom dub.

I am curious to know what your beef with Mary Elizabeth-McGlynn, Bang Zoom, and presumably by extension Animaze is. Animaze produced a number of dubs that are widely accepted as being among top notch if not among the best ever produced: Cowboy Bebop, The Big O, Wolf's Rain, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Macross Plus to name a few.

Getting back to the topic of multi-dubbed anime, I do have a soft spot for old school anime. Despite the liberties taken in the translation, they do have their charming aspects. I actually prefer the original Streamline dubs of The Castle of Cagliostro, My Neighbor Totoro, 3x3 Eyes, and Dirty Pair: Project Eden over their re-dubs.

Out of all the Secret of Mamo dubs, I think the JAL dub is the best. "BE GRATEFUL TO DEMOCRACY" always makes me laugh.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Weren't ADV doing their own dub of Gurren Lagann. I think I heard they got a few episodes in before they had to scrap it when they lost it to Bandai.

Yup, they even made their own trailer for it. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1S8dLWtlCk

Best disclaimer ever. Ok, _only_ preview disclaimer I've ever seen. But still...

"... Producers not responsible for random fits of giddy delierium. Well, okay, maybe we are, since we did produce the show that induces said giddy fits of anime induced happiness, but if you watch anime you have to expect that sometimes and we're not paying to get that grin on your face surgically removed no matter what, so there. Remember to eat and take in liquid while watching marathon sessions [defined as non-stop viewing sessions lasting more than 6 hours] and PLEASE go to the bathroom if you feel the urge, that's why they invented pause buttons. Also, chew your food slowly, close your mouth while eating, bathe regularly and always say please and thank you when asking for the creamed corn. Gurren Lagann is a work of fiction and any resemblance to actual personalities is not only purely coincidental, but also indicates that people who see said resemblances are probably living way too deep in their own fantasy worlds. Do not attempt to imitate behavior or actions seen on this show, unless you are a really hot babe who wants to dress like Yoko, in which case we're all for it. Gurren Laggan available via the finest video retailers, if they don't have Gurren Lagann tell them to get it for you! Now!" Very Happy
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Oh, why didn't I discover this sooner...?

In short, the history of anime English dubs is a very curious fascination of mine. Even though I know a lot of the stuff mentioned, I still found the article to be very interesting. No matter how good or bad an old English dub is, I always enjoy listening to it, mostly for the history. I even took the audio for the obscure 1978 English dub of Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo and edited it to fit Pioneer's DVD footage. It took a while (the audio didn't exactly fit perfectly, but it was close enough to where I found a simply solution to the problem), but it was worth it. I also enjoy listening to the old Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball Movies 1 and 3. Yes, the dub sucked (it had some lip syncing issues at times too), but hearing Barbara Goodson as Goku, Wendee Lee as Bulma, Cheryl Chase (AKA Angelica Pickles) as Puar, and Kerrigan Mahan as Yamcha was fascinating to say the least. Even though most Streamline dubs were terrible (IMO), they have some rich history, and are worth listening to. One thing about old English dubs is that they sound like they're "dubs", as in, it was more obvious that we weren't viewing the material in it's original language. This is mostly due to recording quality (or lack there of) mixed with poor lip-syncing. I think everything started to turn when Ocean starting becoming the "go-to" studio for anime dubs. Because they also supplied their voices to western animation, the recording quality was very good, and everything sounded professional. It wouldn't surprise me that other studios in other regions were motivated to improve somewhat because of Ocean English dubs. Heck, from the stuff I've heard, old California-based English dubs were almost always in terrible quality until around the mid-nineties (about when Tenchi came to town). AnimEigo's old dubs were hit or miss. They're English dubs ranged from REALLY REALLY REALLY good (You're Under Arrest, Oh! My Goddess) to "decent" (Vampire Princess Miyu), to REALLY REALLY REALLY bad (Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy, Bubblegum Crisis). I believe that this generation of anime history in America (pre-boom) ended around 1999 when FUNimation began dubbing in house, and 4Kids began work on Pokemon.

As for shows with "multiple" English dubs, I REALLY wish that video that compared the three English dubs of One Piece was still up (Odex, 4Kids, and FUNimation). The Odex dub (from Singapore for SE Asian markets) was actually worse than the 4Kids IMO because of it's poor recording quality, poor voice acting, and poor script writing. It was actually a little TOO accurate to the point where dialogue sounded terrible awkward. I will admit, it DID improve SOMEWHAT toward the end of it's run (it only lasted 104 episodes) after several of the voice actors were replaced (though Luffy was horribly voiced by Chuck Powers for the entire run), but it never surpassed the "not very good" phase. BTW, several NA voice actors got their start on this dub. Emily Williams (Officer Jenny in recent Pokemon), Natasha Malinsky (one of the Winx Club pixies), and Cindy Creekmore (Friday Night Lights, okay, she's not a NA VA, but still, it's a NA TV show)... were the voices of Chopper, Vivi/Robin, and Nami #3 respectively (the cast was terribly small BTW, no more than 6 VAs at a given time). Usopp and Sanji both had two voice actors (Chuck also doubled as the 2nd Usopp) for the 104 episode run, and Nami had THREE VAs!! This dub is very rare, but it was released to VCD in Singapore. More info here: http://www.freewebs.com/singaporeanonepiece/

Something else that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned: Manga UK's alternate dubs for some AnimEigo titles such as Bubblegum Crisis and Vampire Princess Miyu. I've never seen them, but I've heard bits and pieces. There was also a MangaUK dub for Ultimate Teacher (as opposed to the US one from CPM/Ocean Studios).

P.S. That clip of that girl from Warriors of the Wind (sorry, I've actually never seen any version of the movie), is most definitely NOT June Foray. It kinda sounds like her a bit, but I'm pretty sure I can tell when I hear her voice and when I don't. Besides, June can act a helluva lot better than that...
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I'm like... 99.9% sure that the English version of the Tintin cartoon from the '90s was actually the original one and the French version was the dub. But I'd love to hear it in French someday, regardless. My DVD set from Shout Factory only has the English and Spanish versions.

Well the cartoon was a Canada-France co-production, so I'm sure Nelvana probably scripited it in English to do the 'dope sheets' of their voice cast with the French coming in secondary (depending on how that turned out). It was kind of a shame Shout Factory didn't have the French version on the set too (makes sense to me over a Spanish track).

TitanXL wrote:
...Shin-chan aired on Fox Kids? What?

I think it aired over in the UK and Ireland from what I remember.

Charlie_Conway wrote:
No it was a toned down dub with some really good VAs in it. Kath Soucie as Shin and Misty Nohara. It was like japanese Rugrats or something haha

That's how I viewed it. It certainly wasn't like our "Adult Swim" version but perhaps also closer to what the Japanese version was from the start.

Prede wrote:
This needs to be said. I just love the John Wayne Captain Harlock . That is all.

And yet I always liked the sort of "Mighty Mouse" type voice they gave him in the ZIV dub myself. Laughing

The Goron Marshall wrote:
I did watch the Ocean dubs of Z and GT as well, but I'll always prefer the original Dragon Ball over it, whether it be in anime or manga form. Shame that Z overshadows it, and GT as well.

I hate to say I kinda dig what Harmony Gold tried to do with Dragon Ball themselves despite what they had to put up with over 20 years back, but I say that would've been the Dragon Ball I would've watched had it been the show that came on around 1989/90.

Anime World Order wrote:
In addition to Secret of Mamo, The Castle of Cagliostro was also famously dubbed more than once. The Streamline one has been poo-poo'ed for years due to the "should've worn an asbestos suit!" script alterations, but I genuinely like Bob Bergen's Lupin the most. Hearing David Hayter not use his Solid Snake voice in old dubs just seems WRONG, but as far as I know the Manga Video dub is the only English version included on any DVD copy.

True enough, though when the Japanese R2 disc showed up, it did sport the Streamline dub.

enurtsol wrote:
Warriors of the Wind wasn't a bad dub; it was just badly edited, ~20-min worth of eco-lovin' cut out to change the meaning of the film. But Zandra sounded a lot like the great June Foray that someone had to ask her about it to confirm. Laughing

Most of us thought so too, but June had said somewhere she didn't voice this character at all (or doesn't remember it), I still like calling Nausicaa "Rocky" because of that dub. I think Lord Yupa was voiced by Hal "Otis" Smith from what I heard.

Quote:
Anyways, besides the Disney dubs, there were also the Japan Airlines dub of Castle in the Sky and the Carl Macek dub of Totoro released by Troma Pictures of Toxic Avenger fame.

Don't forget Carl's "Kiki's Delivery Service" too. (lord knows I miss the late Lisa Michelson's roles pretty well)

fuuma_monou wrote:
Wasn't it called "Lamu the Invader Girl" on Animax?

Probably, though the title alone had been used by the Japanese licensors for many years as it's "International Title" for the show I think.

twinklestarex wrote:
The Odex english dub version of Fantastic Children is much better than the Animax Asia english dub version.

I still haven't gotten past watching fansubs of it myself, but I'll have to take a note of it!

Quote:
Bamble its Omni Productions Ltd HK and not Omi Productions. Laughing They still exist. Laughing

As long as there's someone out there wanting a ready-mix English copy to send elsewhere, they'll be there!

Shenl742 wrote:

Seriously?

Except maybe for Ushio (which I think a lot of people passed over and forgot about) I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to find people on this site who haven't heard of most those titles.

Those people should know better.

Jrittmayer wrote:
Such a shame Animax dubbed stuff is relatively hard to find, even through less than legal means. Thats why I usually only get to watch their dubs whenever I'm in Hong Kong, so only a few times a year.

I'm amused there's not enough people down there bent on 'circulating the tapes' the way we did.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Charlie_Conway wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
...Shin-chan aired on Fox Kids? What?

I'm going to assume it doesn't have the abortion and rape jokes Funi's dub has, so I'll go with that one. I think...

No it was a toned down dub with some really good VAs in it. Kath Soucie as Shin and Misty Nohara. It was like japanese Rugrats or something haha
I have a feeling this dub was made with the sole intent for airing on a network like FoxKids, but no broadcaster wanted to pick it up. While toned down considerably from the original, it looked like it was still too much for American TV. Shin's perverted antics still remained for one thing as well as some adult stuff. It did eventually air on a European version of FoxKids long after it was originally produced.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Quote:
So please, if it "offends your senses" you need to broaden those oh so ignorant senses of yours a bit Rolling Eyes

The problem is those very excellent American actors you mention are not part of Japanese culture. They don't understand the multiple meanings, the word-play, the ancient vocal traditions of Kabuki... I won't go on.

How American to take this personally. You prefer dubs is fine with me.

NMM
London

I just want to say that not all British anime and manga Otaku are pretentious douchebags like nicomorr comes across as!

We may not have much in the way of anime cons (although I wholeheartedly recommend Kitacon as it's the most fun you can have at a anime con without the use of illegal substances!) and Manga Entertainment may suck ass with theiir UK releases (especially when it comes to their Bluray releases!), but at the end of the day, we enjoy anime and manga just as much as you guys across the pond! Very Happy

On a lighter note, I remember dubs like the UK-exclusive ones for the likes of Dominion and Ultimate Teacher with great fondness as well as the UK release of "Ushio and Tora" (I really must get that on DVD sometime from Right Stuf if it's available there)

As for the BBC dub of Urusei Yatsura, if I remember correctly, it was Anna Friel from "Pushing Daisies" who did the voice of Lum and Matt Dawes from "Little Britain" who did the voice of Ataru.

EDIT: The Fox Kids version of Shin-Chan was quite popular in the UK when it was shown here over 10 years ago and a few years back, the likes of the Daily Express and the Daily Fa-, I mean Daily Mail were giving out promo DVD's featuring shows like Power Rangers Wild Force, Medabots and Shin-Chan (In fact, I still have some of those very same DVD's)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
I'm kinda annoyed by "purists", TBH. I have to admit, that dubs oftentimes change the delivery, tone and original expressive intent of the original Japanese... but that doesn't mean they can't be appreciated in their own way. I've watched Slayers in the original and the dubbed versions and love both. Purists make it sound like the original's are untouchable, and can't nor shouldn't be improved upon... which I disagree, there are some prominent examples to the contrary (the original developer of Shenmue thought the English version was superior to the Japanese version, and even had it theatrically released in Japanese theatres with the English dub and Japanese subtitles... and there's the Cowboy Bebop dub Anime hyper). Besides, no matter how good the translation, subtitling definitely loses meaning in the process anyways... so if you're so durned nitpicky about it being as close to the original as possible, then learn Japanese, I says! Anime hyper

"Sub purist" is the new age term for weeaboos. I'm with you on that one, they are an infuriating lot. They think Japanese is a "sacred language" and should not be "marred" by horrible stinky poopy English. Such a mature lot, huh? I always tell them, "If you think English is so horrible, then stop speaking, writing and reading the language right this second and see how far you get on Japanese. Two seconds? A whole new record of fail!". Honestly, no one can translate any language word for word into another without losing some meaning that the original was conveying. That's just how it is, yet they don't seem to get that when anything gets dubbed.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
"Sub purist" is the new age term for weeaboos. I'm with you on that one, they are an infuriating lot.

I know one in my house!

Quote:
They think Japanese is a "sacred language" and should not be "marred" by horrible stinky poopy English.

Hahahahaha (sarcastically)

Quote:
Such a mature lot, huh? I always tell them, "If you think English is so horrible, then stop speaking, writing and reading the language right this second and see how far you get on Japanese. Two seconds? A whole new record of fail!". Honestly, no one can't translate any language word for word into another without losing some meaning that the original was conveying. That's just how it is, yet they don't seem to get that when anything gets dubbed.

They need to go to Europe! Wink
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Odd, the day before this article went up, I posted about the problem with the UK disc of Innocence that I imported.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
"Sub purist" is the new age term for weeaboos. I'm with you on that one, they are an infuriating lot. They think Japanese is a "sacred language" and should not be "marred" by horrible stinky poopy English. Such a mature lot, huh?

For the sake of clarification I must ask whether, by writing this, you only wish to characterise the small subset of fans who are identifiable by their exhibition of the specific traits you mention. As you know, it is possible to defend their allegiances without recourse to the contrived linguistic ideologies sketched.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Lightning Leo wrote:
I'm kinda annoyed by "purists", TBH. I have to admit, that dubs oftentimes change the delivery, tone and original expressive intent of the original Japanese... but that doesn't mean they can't be appreciated in their own way. I've watched Slayers in the original and the dubbed versions and love both. Purists make it sound like the original's are untouchable, and can't nor shouldn't be improved upon... which I disagree, there are some prominent examples to the contrary (the original developer of Shenmue thought the English version was superior to the Japanese version, and even had it theatrically released in Japanese theatres with the English dub and Japanese subtitles... and there's the Cowboy Bebop dub Anime hyper). Besides, no matter how good the translation, subtitling definitely loses meaning in the process anyways... so if you're so durned nitpicky about it being as close to the original as possible, then learn Japanese, I says! Anime hyper

"Sub purist" is the new age term for weeaboos. I'm with you on that one, they are an infuriating lot. They think Japanese is a "sacred language" and should not be "marred" by horrible stinky poopy English. Such a mature lot, huh? I always tell them, "If you think English is so horrible, then stop speaking, writing and reading the language right this second and see how far you get on Japanese. Two seconds? A whole new record of fail!". Honestly, no one can translate any language word for word into another without losing some meaning that the original was conveying. That's just how it is, yet they don't seem to get that when anything gets dubbed.

These posts are filled with so many logical fallacies I don't even know where to begin.

FLCLGainax wrote:
I have a feeling this dub was made with the sole intent for airing on a network like FoxKids, but no broadcaster wanted to pick it up. While toned down considerably from the original, it looked like it was still too much for American TV. Shin's perverted antics still remained for one thing as well as some adult stuff. It did eventually air on a European version of FoxKids long after it was originally produced.

The thing is it fits more on Fox Kids than Adult Swim. Outside of his 'ass dance' I don't really see anything all that objectionable in the series. I should hunt it down some time to see for myself how they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8