• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vanilla ICE

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I do need to start collecting fairy tail due in part it's the only recent shounen anime I have any interest in.

Since you're Fairy Tail fan, I'm totally curious; what is it you like best about the series? Who's your favorite character and why? Have you seen/liked other Shonen-style anime series?

Echo_City wrote:
I also despise the concept that you're describing as a "magic ninja duel", so I read the passage more intently and noticed that this homophone slipped into the article.

Spell check can't catch stuff like that... D'oh!

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope you review the Dirty Pair feature OVAs and film, those are pretty damn great as well.

If TRSI re-releases them I'm sure I will! They tend to send me all their stuff.

mgosdin wrote:
Uh, if you've read Van Vogt's Space Beagle stories then you know what Coeurl's eat. It isn't pleasant

Is it fattening?
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Since you're Fairy Tail fan, I'm totally curious; what is it you like best about the series? Who's your favorite character and why? Have you seen/liked other Shonen-style anime series?

Though this question isn't directed towards me I'll answer it anyway. The thing i like best about fairy tail is probably how more coherent the anime is compared to the manga. they add in little things that enrich the experience and make it more than just watching the manga animated. besides that its the great music the series has. both openings (except the second) and bgm. i mainly watch shonen series (Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, Toriko, Gintama) and don't care whether or not they do the same thing over and over so i tend to be more forgiving when it comes to that. besides it being a thoroughly watchable show i also watch it to keep track of my favourite up and coming animator who has worked on a lot of fairy tail (Katsunori Kikuchi). Whilst the main cast is cool enough my favourite characters are the back ground characters that barely get screen time like Alzack who was at the beginning of ep 9 and is in this set too.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I do need to start collecting fairy tail due in part it's the only recent shounen anime I have any interest in.

sorry for the late reply i have been bit busy packing up a few things here or there lol. To answer your first question I got into the series because of the manga like I do with most shounen anime titles. I was following it for while here or there online and when the anime was finally announced I wanted to see what direction they where going to head.

Your second question.. well hmm I would say that Lucy is my favorite due to her bad-ass nature of always stepping up to the plate and never backing down when a friend is in trouble. She also has one hell of mouth of her which i like on any character, speak your mind.

Your last question amuses me a bit but yes I have been watching shounen anime or anime for general for the past twenty years. I'm not afraid to say that DBZ, yu yu hakusho, rurouni kenshin where my all time favorites. Although even more embarrassing to admit is that sailor moon was my first taste into anime which lead to tenchi muyo, blue seed, evangelion, slayer's and utena.

I have always like the shounen genre a bit more when I was younger, Hell it's only recently that I am dipping in to BL, Shojo and dropping nearly all harem/ecchi titles unless they are squeals to series from 2010 and below.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
I have ICE and wish I didn't. I saw a trailer ages ago and it looked cool, so I put it on my "ta have" list. Bad mistake.

Anime shelves --- Nice collection!! Out of curiosity, what is your favorite anime in your collection?

well thanks bro and to be honest i have two things I love the most. First off is my eva platinum DVD set, second is my hard copy of tomoyo after it's wonderful life for the PC.

Here here Brandon! Not bad shelves at all, I saw some things I'd like to have myself, like that Hare+Guu box set, and some others. I can tell you've been a fan for a while. I wish you'd gotten clear shots of everything, that's what's been holding me back of sending in photos is that I am bad at taking pics.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
well this is embarrassing you guys actually used my pics lol. Anyway great shelf life as usual although I do need to start collecting fairy tail due in part it's the only recent shounen anime I have any interest in.

Nice shelves! I'm surprised, from the way you post, I'd have expected your shelves to be overflowing with fanservice and harem titles. Your selection is actually quite varied and contains some great titles.

Last edited by dragon695 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Would it be worth it to pick up Nozomi's release of the Dirty Pair OVAs if I already have the ADV release?
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

I, too, see it through a Naruto lens, but I am willing to cut it some slack. First, I know I'll never like it more than Naruto and also because I know the mangaka is a bit crazy like Nizuma from Bakuman. Natsu is OK, but he really can't hold a candle to Naruto in terms of getting me to "care" about him. He's nice looking (even if pink) and he tends to contrast well with Grey (who is also pretty easy on the eyes), but he's so damn shallow he often comes off like a bimbo. It is funny, but Happy is ironically the character I find most endearing, even with his stupidity, especially since his story in Edolas (an upcoming arc) is particularly touching. But, alas, it is as the others have said, the mangaka trolls the hell out of us. Just as soon as you feel like you are getting emotionally attached to the character, some stupid shit happens and then boobs and maybe naked Grey and you kinda feel wtf? Of course, you have yet to see the worse. A loli is to be introduced into the storyline as a not so insignificant character which is annoying as all get out. Why?!? Who the hell knows. Of course, we haven't even gotten started on Jellal and the way Mashima screws us 100 ways to Tuesday about that. So to sum it up, it is like ADD and maybe only good as fodder for doujinshi or fanfiction. Still, I watch it because I am tired of serious-all-the-time Naruto (although things have improved lately in the manga). and damnit I want my fantasy/magical/action/adventure/shounen that isn't girls-only or harem.

Last edited by dragon695 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
fightbait

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
@Cecilthedarkknight_234
Nice collection, but I can't figure out what this one is:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
It's Eureka 7. If you squint enough, you can make out Gekkostate on the green patch. You can also see part of Eureka and Gekkostate on the box.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
well this is embarrassing you guys actually used my pics lol. Anyway great shelf life as usual although I do need to start collecting fairy tail due in part it's the only recent shounen anime I have any interest in.

Nice shelves! I'm surprised, from the way you post, I'd have expected your shelves to be overflowing with fanservice and harem titles. Your selection is actually quite varied and contains some great titles.

But of course I do have some of those titles however most anime fans try to diverse themselves a bit more with their titles. Being stuck with one sub-genre is not fun lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2