• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
good review Rebecca as always, this series was really a surprise to me when it first started to air. Here i was expecting a quick trope/cliched show which I have grown tired of at the time, what I got was a perfect show or near perfect/down to earth for teenage/young adult relationships.

We all know how well relation ships are represented in anime..badum dum tush however this proved it can be done right sadly as stated it did fall into that category of "cliff hanger madness". Hell I would recommend this show to anyone..despite the amusing name funi choose for it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
A bit surprised that for an ecchi title, this has gotten solid reviews online despite ANN reviewers ripping it apart in the season previews a while back. Shocked

Now I'm going through the internal conflict of whether or not I should even dip into this title despite my utter hatred of the ecchi genre. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
A better review than I was expecting after the preview guide mauling!

This show is definitely funniest when Yamada and Kosuda are awkwardly interacting--I especially enjoyed the first couple and the last few episodes--but there's also a bit too much in the way of generic rom-com tropes and set-ups for my liking. The level of fanservice seems to dip in the middle as well.

I'm not so fond of the dub myself, despite being someone who enjoys a lot of Funi's work. I had to switch to Japanese half-way through. Brittney Karbowski and Cherami Leigh are as great as they are in every role they play, but I found some of the other performances to be completely flat.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
It really is so easy for girls to get guys to step up to the plate. They know all what they gotta do. Wink

Yeah, it'd be nice for guys here not to look down upon gals who're sluts in high school or beyond. They know what they want and come git id. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
A bit surprised that for an ecchi title, this has gotten solid reviews online despite ANN reviewers ripping it apart in the season previews a while back. Shocked

Now I'm going through the internal conflict of whether or not I should even dip into this title despite my utter hatred of the ecchi genre. Confused

it's as close as your going to get with the way teenagers actually act at that moment in time or school life. Yes it is ecchi and has those moments but it does do a good job repenting how a average teenage girl would act in this situation.

On a different note.. or sadder low key it's sad since my life hasn't moved on relation ship wise in this point in time lol, maybe that's I love h-comedies so much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Though a lot of recent dubs from FUNi haven't stood out as much to me, this is one I thought was rather impressive. It's very hilarious, and I liked there were several fresh voices around (less reliance on some of FUNi's more overused regulars, and those regulars that are there are used to great effect). It made what was going to be a borderline/wait until later purchase for me an immediate buy.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It really is so easy for girls to get guys to step up to the plate. They know all what they gotta do. Wink

Yeah, it'd be nice for guys here not to look down upon gals who're sluts in high school or beyond. They know what they want and come git id. Laughing

Er... Wut?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
So, is this another series that Zac might feel obligated to re-evaluate himself, or at least see beyond the first episode of, perhaps dubbed? Laughing It's kinda funny how two new releases, Madoka Magica and... this show were met with some pretty negative responses in an anime preview guide (although B Gata H Kei much more so), yet end up scoring pretty highly once put into the American retail market. Kinda wonder if I'll see the opposite happen with Deadman Wonderland... Zac loved the first episode of that, as well as some others, and recommended the series to practically everyone, yet by the end of the series, while still entertaining and engaging for me, it was kinda... a mess, and was much too obvious in ending in the middle of its still ongoing manga run.

Zac wrote:
B Gata H Kei

Rating: spro-oi-oi-oingggg!! aoooooogggaaahh!

Here's the premise of B Gata H Kei: Yamada is an abnormally pretty, sex-obsessed 15-year old about to enter High School. Her goal? Bang 100 dudes! But fate has other plans in store for the perverted Yamada, who's too embarrassed to sleep with an experienced guy, convinced she won't be any good in the sack. So she meets Kosuda, a virgin, and is determined to have him be her first, even if he's too timid to return her aggressive advances.

Yep. That's what this show is about.

B Gata H Kei is yet another in a long line of crappy anime sex comedies that seem to rely completely on lame “envelope-pushing” boner jokes and increasingly underage girls who have oh-so-wacky issues with sex. Last season we had Chu-Bra!!, which pretended to be about female puberty but was really just an excuse for otaku to leer at a high school girl who wouldn't shut up about her panties; B Gata H Kei at the very least tosses out the pretense (so there probably won't be any “no guys it's really a show about [insert well-meaning but obviously bullsh*t topic here] and it isn't just creepy otaku bait!!” arguments) and is mostly a series of unfunny tiresome gags about how badly Yamada wants to nail Kosuda. Surely there's a segment of fandom out there that will find this gut-bustingly hilarious, but it's about as funny and inspired as those straight-to-DVD “National Lampoon Presents” movies with titles like “Sorority Ass Party 2: Boner School”, except it's an anime so of course everyone's underage, which means not only is it just a bunch of lame sex gags, you're going to feel like a total creep watching it. Fun, right?

In the middle of the episode they (of course) try to tack on some cheap “tender” moments that suggest the budding relationship between Yamada and Kusoda is really an innocent one between two kids who are just so gosh-darned confused about sex and might really have feelings for eachother outside of Yamada's burning desire to jump Kusoda's bones as her first conquest toward her goal of boning a hundred other guys (every time she brings up that plot device my stomach churned a little). It doesn't work, and they're not fooling anyone, especially when the climactic joke is that just before their first kiss Kusoda gets an erection and Yamada – even though she's a sex-crazed nymph – just can't handle even seeing it! Oh, the hilarity!

Sometimes these sex comedies have weirdly high production budgets and so the animation winds up being pretty good, but that isn't the case here; this was produced on the cheap, so the animation is mediocre at best. The character designs are all really generic and uninspired too, so it's not particularly fun to look at either. This is lame, lazy junk aimed at some phantom audience out there that I'm not part of. Skip it if you value your personal dignity.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

I suppose fortunately, not all ANN reviewers are the same.

Quote:

I enjoyed it mostly for the comedy, and it's one of the tamer titles as far as ecchi titles goes, but I still suggest avoiding if you really hate the genre.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
YES YES YES!!!

wow it got an A really indeed dub really make more to watch.

really no wonder this is like anime answer to 40yrs old virgin but on a high school girl.

really karb as yamada yea one of best roles ever.

really casting mix some regular, up-coming voice, fresh names, etc indeed with writing on the dub this is jackpot worthy it's a WIN!!!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:

I enjoyed it mostly for the comedy, and it's one of the tamer titles as far as ecchi titles goes, but I still suggest avoiding if you really hate the genre.

I almost don't think of it as an ecchi series. Since it doesn't egregiously contort its narrative and cinematography to pruriently exploit its characters or appeal to fetishes at the expense of story and characterization, it doesn't easily trigger the 'ecchi' alarm in my head. It certainly isn't shy about displaying its characters, which did make me suspect of it, but those instances seemed integrated into the narrative. Of course, it's not a profound series and its narrative provides exploitative opportunities by design, but it doesn't have the single-minded vacuous nastinessthat I associate with ecchi. I've only seen the first two episodes and have little experience with ecchi series since I, as a rule, disdain them, so I might be misjudging things and trying to rationalize the fact that I'm going to watch a series from a category that I often can't even perfunctorily respect. If it is an ecchi series after all, then it might be the rare example of an ecchi show that I can enjoy, which I have been looking for. (If Witchblade is an ecchi series, and it probably is, then this will, shockingly, be my second)

KLAC wrote:
YES YES YES!!!

wow it got an A really indeed dub really make more to watch.

really no wonder this is like anime answer to 40yrs old virgin but on a high school girl.

really karb as yamada yea one of best roles ever.

really casting mix some regular, up-coming voice, fresh names, etc indeed with writing on the dub this is jackpot worthy it's a WIN!!!

Burma shave?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review, I'm so glad that Rebecca did this one! Its nice to see another woman giving Yamada's First Time the "thumbs up". I especially agree with the whole being surprised by this show. I freely admit I started watching this expecting to be totally offended. Instead, I found myself dying of laughter by the end of the first episode. It was even better when I watched it dubbed. A terrific little series, and worth giving a shot.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
Though a lot of recent dubs from FUNi haven't stood out as much to me, this is one I thought was rather impressive. It's very hilarious, and I liked there were several fresh voices around (less reliance on some of FUNi's more overused regulars, and those regulars that are there are used to great effect). It made what was going to be a borderline/wait until later purchase for me an immediate buy.

I was especially pleased to hear Cynthia Cranz as the homeroom teacher, Miss Akai. She's one of my favorite VA's at FUNimation. But she's rarely cast in a main, or supporting role. Which makes it all the better when she is. I love the way she can deliver lines, especially the sarcastic, or dry humor stuff.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Animerican14"]

Zac wrote:
B Gata H Kei

Here's the premise of B Gata H Kei: Yamada is an abnormally pretty, sex-obsessed 15-year old about to enter High School. Her goal? Bang 100 dudes! But fate has other plans in store for the perverted Yamada, who's too embarrassed to sleep with an experienced guy, convinced she won't be any good in the sack. So she meets Kosuda, a virgin, and is determined to have him be her first, even if he's too timid to return her aggressive advances.

B Gata H Kei is yet another in a long line of crappy anime sex comedies that seem to rely completely on lame “envelope-pushing” boner jokes and increasingly underage girls who have oh-so-wacky issues with sex. Last season we had Chu-Bra!!, which pretended to be about female puberty but was really just an excuse for otaku to leer at a high school girl who wouldn't shut up about her panties; B Gata H Kei at the very least tosses out the pretense (so there probably won't be any “no guys it's really a show about [insert well-meaning but obviously bullsh*t topic here] and it isn't just creepy otaku bait!!” arguments) and is mostly a series of unfunny tiresome gags about how badly Yamada wants to nail Kosuda. Surely there's a segment of fandom out there that will find this gut-bustingly hilarious, but it's about as funny and inspired as those straight-to-DVD “National Lampoon Presents” movies with titles like “Sorority Ass Party 2: Boner School”, except it's an anime so of course everyone's underage, which means not only is it just a bunch of lame sex gags, you're going to feel like a total creep watching it. Fun, right?

In the middle of the episode they (of course) try to tack on some cheap “tender” moments that suggest the budding relationship between Yamada and Kusoda is really an innocent one between two kids who are just so gosh-darned confused about sex and might really have feelings for eachother outside of Yamada's burning desire to jump Kusoda's bones as her first conquest toward her goal of boning a hundred other guys (every time she brings up that plot device my stomach churned a little). It doesn't work, and they're not fooling anyone, especially when the climactic joke is that just before their first kiss Kusoda gets an erection and Yamada – even though she's a sex-crazed nymph – just can't handle even seeing it! Oh, the hilarity!

Sometimes these sex comedies have weirdly high production budgets and so the animation winds up being pretty good, but that isn't the case here; this was produced on the cheap, so the animation is mediocre at best. The character designs are all really generic and uninspired too, so it's not particularly fun to look at either. This is lame, lazy junk aimed at some phantom audience out there that I'm not part of. Skip it if you value your personal dignity.

That about sums up my view of the show. I'm avoiding this thing, and have no idea how it can get an A-, meaning it's on par with the first dvd of Gurren Lagann and Angel Beats!. I don't have any problem with anime full of sex jokes, but my brain hurts at the thought of watching hours of some chick who wants to bang a hundred dudes.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="EnigmaticSky"]
Animerican14 wrote:

Zac wrote:
B Gata H Kei

That about sums up my view of the show. I'm avoiding this thing, and have no idea how it can get an A-, meaning it's on par with the first dvd of Gurren Lagann and Angel Beats!. I don't have any problem with anime full of sex jokes, but my brain hurts at the thought of watching hours of some chick who wants to bang a hundred dudes.

what she wants and what she does is two entirely different things. When I was in high school i wanted to have sex with 30 different girls and didn't even get one but it's nice to see show touch on issue that plagues the teen mind. When is the right time, should I really be doing this, should I wait and do I really love him/her?? Using a assumption isn't going to get you anywhere but hey it's your loss.

On a different note I am actually happy this came state side despite the low sales in japan and death threats the creators/studio received. It seems doing a show about girl what wants to have sex or about her sexuality is to much for otaku in japan.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
[quote="EnigmaticSky"]
Animerican14 wrote:

Zac wrote:
B Gata H Kei

Ick, Yamada's First Time is a million times better than Angel Beats! in my opinion. I am still in shock that anyone (let alone EVERYONE it seems) apparently LOVED Angel Beats. I was so excited to watch it after hearing so many good things, and it was beautiful, but the story was a mess and I couldn't have cared less about the characters and the forced drama.

Yamada's First Time is a completely different genre, yes, but in a straight comparison, it's much better written and has MUCH better pacing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5