• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meygaera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Normally I am very skeptical about trying out ecchi anime and the like. But when I saw the preview for this I knew from the start that it would be something different. When an anime takes such a direct and real approach to the sex issue, then you know it will be able to provide a fresh gimmick to enjoy.

This is what B gata H kei was, I felt that it was closer to a bildungsroman (If only it was longer) story of a girl and a boy than it was an ecchi anime aimed at a particular audience. Most of the side characters I felt were fairly stereotypical filler characters, although I do think that Cherami Leigh really hit the nail on the coffin with Takeshita. The two main characters of this anime are fairly unique to the anime world in IMO.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
OK, that makes sense.

Just where did they decide to place characters or women into types and styles? What other types and styles are there.

I don't think it's just for women... It seems they are more interested in "types" in Japan, maybe? But here in the US we do talk about A type personalities, too, so it's not that weird.

If the translation is literally "B type, H style" then it refers to cup sizes. Seeing how everyone besides Misato and Chika are not A types in the opener is something of a clue...

"B cupped slut" is inaccurate because, well, just because what it means. Yamada isn't a slut, she wants to be a slut. "B sized of the perverted kind" sounds about right.

A good review so I'll add just a few things. My problems with the Funimation release are minor but they're kind of weird mistakes: Only Yukari Tamura's name is reversed in the end credits with the rest done in western style, the manga was not published in Weekly Shounen Jump as it says in the opener {There is only one, right?}, Chika should not refer to her sister as Yamada in the dub as she is also Yamada...

I don't find the dub as funny as the original Japanese even though I'm more a fan of dubs. Sure the language is more varied and colorful and it validates Yamada's habit of talking a good game but failing to score but I find Tamura's and Kobayashi's performances to be funnier than their dub counterparts. In particular, Tamura's inarticulate reaction screams and Kobayashi's control of changing personalities.

Those things can't be transferred with a good script, unfortunately. Also, there's something missing in the frequent quick cuts such as Yamada working herself up to confront Miyano but then chickening out midsentence. It's not a deal breaker but it should be mentioned.

I thought Lara Woodhull was hilarious as Misato, far outpacing the japanese version. Easily the dub's highlight as most of the rest of it relied on Yamada or characters such as Takeshita reacting to Yamada. For me, Horie was just as fine as Leigh in that regard so no loss or gain. And it's fun just to hear Horie snipe at Tamura.

One last thing: Why did Funimation ruin the best masterbation joke of the series? They covered it in the sub and the action was just beyond blatant so how could the dub ignore it?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it's the Blood type explanation. I've seen the B blood type connected to bad and/or perverted behavior in other anime as well... IIRC (it's been a year since I saw the show) Yamada or someone else even makes that exact connection between her B blood type and her behavior at some point in the show. I think there was also a funny line in Cross Game along those lines. Aoba is delivered unsolicited details on Akane to Koh, including her blood type and they get into a discussion about blood types, Aoba asks and finds out Koh's is "B" and says "Well, that explains alot."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagi21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Talk about an 180, I remember when this series first hit it got slammed and trashed to hell and back all around by the majority. Made the few who liked the show feel ashamed to admit in liking it. Now all reviews are so positive about it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, judging by the first episode and a fansub that generously used the term "fvckbuddy," that first episode seemed to point towards an unattractive excess that didn't hold much promise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
My local anime shop got this earlier, oddly enough.

Funimation sent them the Blu-Ray and LE early, telling them not to sell it before the actual release date. Of course, it's not like Funi would notice one shop selling things early...
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Just finished this show up, I must say the entertainment level was better than I expected.
There was a three episode or so lull in the middle, but overall quite funny.
I listened with the dub and found it one of the better efforts from Funimation.
I generally prefer the subs on a comedy show, good dubs are hard (and I suspect not cheap) to pull off.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised this anime made it to a U.S. distribution, dubbed or not. It is the sort of thing PTAs pass resolutions against.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I'm surprised this anime made it to a U.S. distribution, dubbed or not. It is the sort of thing PTAs pass resolutions against.

It's not like it's Kodomo no Jikan or anything.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Yeah, especially since it implicitly advocates for the use of protection instead of abstinence.

I jest, but in a country where Rick goddamned Santorum is a prominent figure, I could imagine any portrayal of contraception putting it above things like Ikki Tousen and Green Green on the moral panic list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5