• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Streams Kite: Liberator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
coconutpenguin wrote:
So, does anyone else have serious issues with the lack of a freaking 'Mature Content' advisory on Kite Liberator?

Already addressed on page 4.
coconutpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
coconutpenguin wrote:
So, does anyone else have serious issues with the lack of a freaking 'Mature Content' advisory on Kite Liberator?

Already addressed on page 4.

I saw that too, and it's no excuse. Wouldn't it be easy enough to add a "Rated R for violence and sexual content" into the text description? That would serve as fair enough warning, though it wouldn't keep out any truly curious minors. (However, at that point it would cease to be your responsibility if they viewed it anyway, since you provided fair warning.)

At the very least, heed my warning for legality purposes. Doesn't Youtube prohibit the streaming of mature content to people who aren't logged in or who are identified as under 18 by their profiles? (Or have they done away with all mature content by now? I'm iffy on the details, but regardless...) They do that for a reason!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
IGN makes you dial in your birthday for that type of content (mature).

Also, why can't you just show it in one go? 6 pieces is very irritating/inconvenient to watch.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
As I said on page 1, we are working on a way to do it all in one go. It'll be ready very soon.

Working on adding a mature content warning too. It's not as easy as it sounds, as it requires re-encoding the first segment.

There's no legality about it -- Kite Liberator has no graphic sex that would legally require such a warning. Parents may not like it, nor will the easily offended, so we are in the process of adding the warning now.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
coconutpenguin wrote:

I saw that too, and it's no excuse. Wouldn't it be easy enough to add a "Rated R for violence and sexual content" into the text description? That would serve as fair enough warning, though it wouldn't keep out any truly curious minors. (However, at that point it would cease to be your responsibility if they viewed it anyway, since you provided fair warning.)

At the very least, heed my warning for legality purposes. Doesn't Youtube prohibit the streaming of mature content to people who aren't logged in or who are identified as under 18 by their profiles? (Or have they done away with all mature content by now? I'm iffy on the details, but regardless...) They do that for a reason!

You know, the way you act makes me want to not do anything just to spite you. Do you think you could be any more rude about this?

A day and a half ago I agreed that this was a very legitimate concern and that we would do something about it. Unfortunately yesterday it wasn't possible to re-encode the video, and it's being done today.

Just so that you know, there is zero legal requirement for us to label this video, and zero legal danger to us for not doing it. We're doing it because it's the right thing to do, that's all.

In the meantime, I have added a text warning. It's not the best way to do it, but it will serve its purpose until the re-encoded video is uploaded later today.

-t
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
coconutpenguin wrote:

To an extent they do. They mark it if it's been flagged by enough Youtube users to constitute that the video is indeed for mature audiences. They have whole R rated movies on Youtube now, and a lot of those aren't flagged. The ones that are though, require logging in and confirming your age.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
As wonderful as it is that ANN is now getting to stream anime, I hope that we'll see more than just MB titles soon. I'm not exactly a big fan of them right now. Can you give us any idea of what we can look forward to coming down the pike? (Hints are fine, I know you can't just tell us what might be in negotiations.)

I hope ANN will get more content to stream, especially in the coming new year. This is one of the biggest if not the biggest legit anime news sites so it's a great place to make something like this work.
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Are the owners of this site pretending they are college kids? Very Happy

Not really, god job.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The new version, including both a warning and a TV-MA badge, has been uploaded. Hope that suits everybody's needs.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Official Rating:

TV-MAV for:

*profanity
*nudity
*frightening images
*adult content
*mild sexual content
*graphic bloody violence
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
C'mon! Can't non-N.Americans here be jealous and complain?! Can't anybody be illogical about this?! Laughing

You can. We seriously wish we could show all the videos to world, but unfortunately that won't be the case. There will be future occasions where we can stream worldwide though.

Now we just need to find video ads that pay decent enough outside of North America. Right now the stuff that pays good is all US targeted. In due time though...

-t

How about Puerto Rico (Guam or the US Virgin Islands), we're territories of the US, the stores sell the R1 dvds, why are we region locked? Do I have to wait for someone in Mexico or Argentina (who are R4) to get it so I can watch this steamed (and probably they'll region lock us too)?

Last edited by Vicserr on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
braves

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
How about Puerto Rico (Guam or the US Virgin Islands), we're territories of the US, the stores sell the R1 dvds, why are we region locked?

You guys are locked down there. Dang, well it's good that I moved to Texas, then. Shocked

I'll concur with Vicserr in asking why PR is blocked. I mean, we can vote in Presidential primaries, and have U.S. citizenship. Oh, and this:

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/dvd/regions/dvd_region_map.jpg

I know it's kinda hard to see PR on that map, but we're in R1. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazagistar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Man, I totally told myself "if this is good AT ALL, even slightly, I will buy the DVD for my collection to encourage more of this sort of thing."

It's a pity that I would be embarrassed to have something like this anywhere on my shelf...
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Having participated in a few of the discussions around having access to legal, free, high quality versions of broadcast anime, I just want to add my kudos for this awesome service. The quality is very good, more than acceptable.

As to choices... um, it just started. Maybe have just a bit of patience? Kite may not be your flavor, but there's obviously more coming. I think the production quality alone makes it a good show to advertise the quality (but then it's my flavor of anime as well).

On regions, I am a DVD collector and realize that localized DVDs probably wouldn't be available without that system. As difficult as it is to make money in the anime DVD publishing business (obvious, now that the ill-founded boom has bust), no way would a company invest the money to do a dub and packaging knowing that someone down the block could do a cheapo version and undercut their sales. No reason to consider online any differently, since it is a competing channel. Online free broadcast should at minimum serve as an advertising channel for DVD sales, the same way TV works in Japan, so giving that channel to a different company doesn't make sense.

Anyway, just raising my hand to say thanks.

P.S. jsevakis, I just bought Neo Tokyo and stumbled onto the source of your avatar, and as a project manager, I LOL'd. I'm going to use it for teaching Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Well, personally I didn't care for Kite: Liberator so I wouldn't watch that again. (At least it was better than the first Kite though.) If I have time I may check out the other ones though. Generally, I tend to stay away from Media Blasters as a rule though. They hardly ever liscense anything that I like.

Other ones? There are other Kites besides the first one and Liberator? I honestly don't care about the first one either, but if there are others besides Liberator, that might be interesting.

Other ones, as in Girls High and Ramen Fighter Miki the other two series being streamed here. I did hear that there was more of Kite: Liberator going to be produced in the future but I'm not sure if that's a rumor on not. For now there's only two Kites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8