• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
U.S. Discontinued / OOP Anime Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
RightStuf.com has removed the listing for Puss 'n Boots. Same thing can be said for Amazon.com (available only through marketplace). It's currently still listed for sale ($14.95) on Discotek Media's store. Will this movie really be the first anime release from Discotek Media to go OOP?

A quick re-hash of the release details is as seen below:
Quote:
Originally released in 1969 in Japan, and later released as "The Wonderful World of Puss 'n' Boots" in the US, the film was directed by Kimio Yabuki (Swan Lake) and features key animation by Hayao Miyazaki (My Neighbor Totoro, Castle of Cagliostro, among others). Loosely based on Charles Perrault's original book "Le Maitre Chat Ou Le Chat Botte," the film is beautifully scored by Seiichiro Uno (Jack and the Witch).

This DVD releases features the original Japanese language version available for the first time ever in the US. It also includes the very rare Fred Ladd English-dubbed version.

DVD Features: Anamorphic Widescreen, Original 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio, Original Mono Soundtrack, Music and Effects Soundtrack, Theatrical Trailer, Photo Gallery of Rare Black and White Stills, Text Interviews with Creators.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks to a column Mike Toole did on what Miyazaki and Takahata were doing before Ghibli (don't remember the exact title, he did a panel at I-Con in 2011 on the same subject) I went looking for some of the titles and got Puss 'n Boots from Amazon in a combo with Animal Treasure Island, I think it was about $20 for both. Looks like a good deal, especially if it does go out of print. Kind of a shame, as Discotek always does a good job on their titles (the ones I have anyway), to see this go out of print.

Guess I'd better not wait too long to get other titles I want from them.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
My suspicion was correct...right now it's pretty much get them (Ranma ½) before they get really OOP.

Latest update via TRSI...

No longer listed:

Now with very low counter:
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
And the suddenly we'll see Media Blasters (maybe) saving it. If they find it worth their time. Maybe to put it into less box sets and 30 episodes in each one, instead of 15.

I know the season are just that long...but I rather no have 7 boxes of anything on my shelf.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
via RACS
Quote:
Funi also let us know this week that the Air Movie DVD (S.A.V.E.) is now officially discontinued and now out of print. There will not be another version of this released by them, so get em while they last!

EDIT: via TRSI...
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Makes me glad I got the ADV boxset of the tv series and the movie.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Recently De-listed @ TRSI...from Tai Seng
  • Champion Joe (Ashita no Joe Movie) DVD (Hyb)

EDIT: and it's back
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
via Media Blasters Facebook page
Quote:
- Just Wondering... is Rurouni Kenshin going out of print?

- It has been out of print for some time now.

There had been on and off in-stock issues with the Economy Sets and Complete Collection for quite a while now (at least 2011). And now we have formal confirmation from Media Blasters.

On the TRSI front, they de-listed the complete collection release the other day. They still have Economy Set 1 and Economy Set 3 in-stock. Economy Set 2 is in-stock as well, but has a counter of 12 remaining.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Dammit. I hope someone else licenses this series. The singles still seem to be easily found but that's a bit expensive Shocked .
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote
Good that I know this now, because I'd been putting off buying season 2 and 3 for a while now.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
TRSI has de-listed Berserk DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) Remastered. The de-listing shouldn't suprise anyone as there has been in-stock issue to all retailers throughout this year (and probably last as well).

TRSI still list the select singles and the previous brick collection in-stock (the singles and the brick collection are considered to be OOP as well).

The question now comes to whether Media Blasters even have the license anymore. Or could they be releasing another re-release in 2013?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
It's a good question. If they still have the rights, I think a "Classic Collection" is a certainty. That's all MB seems to be doing these days: re-issuing collections of whatever they still have in their license inventory.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I would think Viz would snap up the TV series, assuming the license has lapsed. Didn't MB say once that the BD rights (and I'd imagine DVD) for the TV series would go to whoever gets the movies? I take that line as meaning they're done with Berserk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
TRSI has de-listed Berserk DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) Remastered. The de-listing shouldn't suprise anyone as there has been in-stock issue to all retailers throughout this year (and probably last as well).

TRSI still list the select singles and the previous brick collection in-stock (the singles and the brick collection are considered to be OOP as well).

The question now comes to whether Media Blasters even have the license anymore. Or could they be releasing another re-release in 2013?

via Media Blasters Facebook page
Quote:
- Do you guys still have the rights to the Berserk TV series? Went to go look for that on TRSI and noticed it was gone from their listings.

- no longer, viz will eventually release it I expect
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
via Media Blasters Facebook page (11/29/12)
Quote:
- Do you guys plan to eventually re-print/re-release "Ah! My Goddess Complete Collection," or will you no longer release the series?

- Not sure, probably not at this point
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11