Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail Blu-Ray + DVD 3




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Looneygamemaster



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 192
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Fairy Tail's a show I want to love, but every time it leaves me impressed, it proceeds to utterly frustrate me. I hate episode 26--the insulting ease with which Gajeel is forgiven is topped only by a technically proficient confrontation involving Lucy that's so immaturely handled, it hurts. That it comes after a typical but fun battle arc (one of the best the show's done yet), is all the worse.

Honestly, I like the show when it's being silly. Hiro Mashima's great at comedy and proficient at action, but his drama leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh, and I disagree about the music--it's one of the show's high points. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DmonHiro





PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
I hate episode 26--the insulting ease with which Gajeel is forgiven is topped only by a technically proficient confrontation involving Lucy that's so immaturely handled, it hurts.


spoiler[It's explained in episode 100 and something "Iron Soul" that he was not forgiven.]
Back to top
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1257
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
Agree with everything but the score for the music again. I personally find FT to have a really good soundtrack for a shonen title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryu Shoji



Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 661
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
I love R Bruce Elliot's Makarov; particularly in the angry scenes. Ed Blaylock's Jose is also fantabulous.

DmonHiro wrote:
Looneygamemaster wrote:
I hate episode 26--the insulting ease with which Gajeel is forgiven is topped only by a technically proficient confrontation involving Lucy that's so immaturely handled, it hurts.


spoiler[It's explained in episode 100 and something "Iron Soul" that he was not forgiven.]

spoiler[The only thing Makarov could not forgive him for was hurting the other members of Fairy Tail. Everything else, such as destroying the Guild Hall, was forgiven.]

Anyway, one thing has annoyed me about FUNimation's release - volume 2's boxart prominently features Gajeel - yet he only appears towards the final episodes. Same with this volume and Jellal. I understand that FUNimation most likely want to show off the four main story arcs, but it is annoying.

Personally, for volume 2 I would have used this cover (which admittedly, was used as the reverse cover) and for volume 3, I would have used this cover (Although the Loké arc is short, at least all of it is on this volume 9.9). While volume 4s cover is fine, I probably would have replaced it with this one, just so each of the main four characters are featured on a front cover.

I use the reversible covers for volumes 2 and 3, so hopefully volume 4's features Erza (Looking at the Japanese releases, I assume it will be the one I suggested).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
DmonHiro





PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Well, Makarov said from the start that he didn't really care that the guild was destroyed. "Turning the guild into a run-down dump, I could deal with. But no father can sit by while the blood of his children is spilled. This is war!".
]

So yeah, he's never going to forgive him for THAT, but everything else, water under the bridge.
Back to top
Looneygamemaster



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 192
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Bit of an edit, but the episode that raised my ire was episode 29, not 26.

Sorry for the mistake. Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1740
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
The episode with the stage play is not filler. It was an actual chapter in the manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Hypeathon



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 1175
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The episode with the stage play is not filler. It was an actual chapter in the manga.

Well even if it was in the manga, what did it have to do with the main story being told?

Anyway, I feel as if people are going to argue against the criticism with the music in Fairy Tail. And honestly when i think about it, Carlo has a point. The tracks individually are great to listen to. Or at least most of them. I think the problem lies with the way the songs are arranged and the more I think about it, the more I feel the problem with the music relates to the problem with the way cutscenes are executed, the limited ways characters express themselves in some scenes (I'm not even talking about just action ones either, I feel people assume I mean the action-oriented parts, which isn't necessarily true) and just how the flow of the animated scenes are too spontaneous. It's like even with not only A-1 pictures and Studio Satelight cooperating and the same composer who did the music for Naruto Shippuden, My Bride's a Mermaid, and all the Precure series since Fresh Precure on board, the staff in general seemed too new or just didn't have much time before Fairy Tail would have to go on air. They had to be quick and simple with the animation, scenes and music and thus there wasn't time to think about it how they all flow together.

In scenes where characters are exchanging dialogue that involves solving a problem, rather than thinking about making individual cutscenes for a close-up of a character in a diagonal view, they just insert a balloon with a super-deformed version of that character during a panning background scene, supposedly talking back. With the music, it's like just use this song for sad scenes, that song for action scenes, and that song for comedic scenes. Nothing else. I'm not sure at what point does it start changing, but I've noticed that both with the animation and the music during the current Tenrou Island arc do they become significantly better. Especially with the music. More variety and applying different pacing of music. Instead of just humor, action, victory and sadness, there's also more of puzzling, tension, and struggle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everydaygamer



Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 612
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
well yeah you definitely start hearing new music in season 2 and 3 but for season 1 its alot of the same stuff. but who cares the music is awesome no matter what a few people might say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1740
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
hypeathon wrote:
Well even if it was in the manga, what did it have to do with the main story being told?

Who cares?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Looneygamemaster



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 192
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Filler doesn't have to be "something that wasn't in the manga." I'd say it's something that doesn't have anything to do with the story.

I enjoy the play episode (much more then the episode that preceded it) but it's definitely filler.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daichi383



Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 313
Location: England
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The episode with the stage play is not filler. It was an actual chapter in the manga.

Well even if it was in the manga, what did it have to do with the main story being told?

Anyway, I feel as if people are going to argue against the criticism with the music in Fairy Tail. And honestly when i think about it, Carlo has a point. The tracks individually are great to listen to. Or at least most of them. I think the problem lies with the way the songs are arranged and the more I think about it, the more I feel the problem with the music relates to the problem with the way cutscenes are executed, the limited ways characters express themselves in some scenes (I'm not even talking about just action ones either, I feel people assume I mean the action-oriented parts, which isn't necessarily true) and just how the flow of the animated scenes are too spontaneous. It's like even with not only A-1 pictures and Studio Satelight cooperating and the same composer who did the music for Naruto Shippuden, My Bride's a Mermaid, and all the Precure series since Fresh Precure on board, the staff in general seemed too new or just didn't have much time before Fairy Tail would have to go on air. They had to be quick and simple with the animation, scenes and music and thus there wasn't time to think about it how they all flow together.

In scenes where characters are exchanging dialogue that involves solving a problem, rather than thinking about making individual cutscenes for a close-up of a character in a diagonal view, they just insert a balloon with a super-deformed version of that character during a panning background scene, supposedly talking back. With the music, it's like just use this song for sad scenes, that song for action scenes, and that song for comedic scenes. Nothing else. I'm not sure at what point does it start changing, but I've noticed that both with the animation and the music during the current Tenrou Island arc do they become significantly better. Especially with the music. More variety and applying different pacing of music. Instead of just humor, action, victory and sadness, there's also more of puzzling, tension, and struggle.


I think you described the problem well. The new season dos seem to have more care put into it so far but I think its more to do with the fact that before fairy tail the director hadn't done anything of this scope so it took him a while to get used to it. its only my guess anyway but you pretty much summed up what my feelings are on both matters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hypeathon



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 1175
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
but who cares the music is awesome no matter what a few people might say.


KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Who cares?

Nice "stick it to the man," repsonse guys. Oy...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HaruhiToy



Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4118
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I love this series, but as usual I find big shortcomings with the writing at the oddest spots. Of course this is probably just copied forward from the manga but still the anime could fix it.

For example, Lucy's impassioned plea to the Celestial Spirit King spoiler[of course works out in her favor, but she never really makes the case for it. The Spirit King just gives in.] What she should have done is spoiler[say fine, if that's the law then I am going to use my last bit of life and magic to open the gate, and if I die from it then it will be the Spirit King that caused my death. So you will be exiled next! Doing that would have given the Spirit King a real reason for giving in ] and a better reason to respect Lucy. (who is something of a butt monkey but has her moments.)

I can think of a lot of obvious fixes to the script like that for Fairy Tale, more so than with most anime series. Yet it all still works amazingly well and I give this anime high marks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heartless325



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I love this series, but as usual I find big shortcomings with the writing at the oddest spots. Of course this is probably just copied forward from the manga but still the anime could fix it.

For example, Lucy's impassioned plea to the Celestial Spirit King spoiler[of course works out in her favor, but she never really makes the case for it. The Spirit King just gives in.] What she should have done is spoiler[say fine, if that's the law then I am going to use my last bit of life and magic to open the gate, and if I die from it then it will be the Spirit King that caused my death. So you will be exiled next! Doing that would have given the Spirit King a real reason for giving in ] and a better reason to respect Lucy. (who is something of a butt monkey but has her moments.)

I can think of a lot of obvious fixes to the script like that for Fairy Tale, more so than with most anime series. Yet it all still works amazingly well and I give this anime high marks.


I couldn't resist not to reply to this. Never would have thought i would meet someone that didn't liked the part with the Spirit King.

So what you were saying in the spoiler tag, don't you think that was the message she gave by showing all of her spirits where words weren't loud enough ? She clearly showed how far she was willing to go in order to save her friend. For that Lucy earned her respect by the Spirit King and so did mine.
So yeah, i think that was very good writing.

If you weren't persuaded by me, then you leave me no choice to "use my last bit of life and magic to open the gate......." nah just kiddin. Words simply wouldn't cut it. Maybe the anime team could have done a better job for you, not the writing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group