• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Female Crossdressers in Media

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What I would like to hear from these "men and women are inherently different and we should all just accept that" is for them to explain exactly how they are different

Basic physical differences aside, men and women are also different psychologically and emotionally. We don't think the same ways, our brains don't process information the same, and women rely on their emotions far more than men do.

It's not a slam on either gender, it's just the way we are. But somehow I don't think you needed me to explain this to you; I think you're just looking for an argument.

Quote:
I know that most women won't stack up physically to most men, but should the ones that do still be excluded simply because they are female?

Yes. Locker rooms, anyone? Laughing

Are you seriously arguing that in an event such as the Olympics, men's teams should be pitted against women's? Do you even realize how one sided that would be?

Again, this isn't me bashing on women or "lolz girls suck so stay at home", but a statement of physical fact. Unless you had some really wimpy men, the men would win every time.

Quote:
Modern feminism says we are different, but that society says traditionally womanly traits are considered inferior to traits attributed to men. We need to acknowledge that womanly traits have their benefits and aren't inferior.

Nobody that I know has ever said that female traits are inferior to males. However, female traits should generally stay stay female, and vice versa. Now, I realize that there are exceptions and blah blah blah, so don't waste your time typing them out to me, but by and large, the world works the best when men act like men and women act like women.

There's a reason that certain behaviors and tasks have been attributed to certain genders, and here's a hint: it has nothing to do with "chauvinism" or "oppression". It's simply because certain genders are better suited to certain roles. That's not to say that a girl can't/shouldn't use a jackhammer or a guy can't take care of the kids, but it generally works best if it's the other way around.

This isn't some psychotic rant here. It's a basic, common sense look at the world. However, I do find it sad that I have to qualify every statement with "I'm not bashing women".
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Robin: I haven't read or seen any anime/manga where a pretty boy character cross dresses to purposely appeal to girls throughout the whole story. Usually it is just a quick gag, like the classmates in Furuba making Yuki wear a dress, or it's a plot point that the cross dress, like Nuriko from FY.

Doki Doki School Hours. The crossdresser claims he's crossdressing to better understand the female gender (though it really seems he's just really vain), but he isn't portrayed as gay or bi.

I do disagree that Mulan isn't a dupe-oh, yes she is. She had to go into the service or her father would which is just as much of a dupe as Basara or any other title that has a person of one gender pretend to be another to gain/retain a position.

Eruanna wrote:

To take that a little farther now, (And here I really need to emphasis that I am not saying that all women should be like this) why is a more submissive role inferior to a more dominant role? Truely to serve it takes great humility and peace of mind on the part of the servant. A mental strength if you will. Many religions teach that to be humble, to serve and be submissive, carries much more honor then to be the one who is being served. Thus, a submissive woman should be viewed as the equal of a non submissive woman.

Do not get me started.
Quote:
Main Entry: sub·mis·sive
Pronunciation: \-ˈmi-siv\
Function: adjective
Date: 1575
: submitting to others <submissive>

What's wrong with being EQUAL? Why shouldn't MY opinion hold equal weight in my relationships if I am in an equal position? Yes, I fully respect seniority & am submissive to those possessing higher positions & yrs in my work, but in marriage & personal relationships why the hell should one person SUBMIT to the other? Mutually agreeing to things is different. IF the woman wishes to be subservient, that's her deal, but I've known GUYS who have elected to be Mr.Mom because their wife has the superior job.

In no way is this the gal ruling the relationship. In an equal relationship both opinions should hold equal weight. Compromise is sometimes necessary. That's life.

It sounds as if maybe you're confusing submissive for respect. Submissive is a lesser position in the domination game & if you buy that, I'm sorry for you that you cannot see it. If you choose it, fine. Informed choice is always wonderful.

Don't go there on religion. Stop. Religion IS all about domination, being subservient to God, etc. This isn't a place to discuss religion & how it's controlled the masses for a very long time. My father was a farmer & his opinion is sheep are the dumbest of barnyard animals which makes centuries of convincing Christian masses they're sheep suspect.

I like Hillary Clinton because she is a strong woman. Those of us who wear the bitch brand as a thing of pride probably feel she embodies that (Most of the times I get called a bitch is when I stand up for myself & don't submit to another's will. If that's a bitch, fine. Or when I'm holding the line on rules-client wants something we can't allow. Oh well)

Quote:
There is a difference between obsession with and acceptance of. You can't change the us versus them mentality by saying we are all the same when we are not. The obvious biological differences cannot be minimized in this way. My kid sister is 5'1" and is a motorcycle mechanic, forklift driver and various other things. She is not only very strong, but has the will and intent to be so. What would happen if the motorcycle shop she was working at had to think fast when their star mechanic went out on maternity leave for 3 months? It would be a BIG deal to them because they'd have to hire another mechanic, and then potentially let that mechanic go. It's a 3 mechanic shop, what are the options? What would happen to you as a carpenter if you got pregnant?

We have 4 officers on the team, plus we need to urine test our clients with same-gendered staff so yaeh, it hurt a lot when our only male officer took off for 2 months when his wife had a baby.
Works 2 ways, dude. My male senior prior to this had a bad back & was always calling in sick with it. The male officer who was helping out one of the appt days for us has been out for almost a year on medical disability & his job can't be filled until we hit the 2 yr point meaning more work for us.

Women & maternity leave are actually not that big a piece of the pie as you all make it out to be. I've been working since & turned 18 & I was out of work about 2 months, maybe 3 when I first moved to San Diego, 1 month when the company I worked at went under & 3 mos when I had my baby & considering I'm 48, that's out of 30 yrs.

The fanatics are the fanatics & one can't help them. I hate them as much as the next person. Someone paraded a gay couple who allegedly sued a church for refusing to hold their wedding as an excuse against the No on 8 campaign, but that couple would be in the fanatics. I personally can't see why one would want to hold a marriage in a church that didn't want one (other than agenda) when there are so many others that are accepting of one.

That isn't what feminism is about. Feminism is simply about women not being barefoot & pregnant or whatever view society believes they should hold & doing what they can & do want to do with their lives. It isn't about special treatment. It's about equal treatment.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:

Quote:
I know that most women won't stack up physically to most men, but should the ones that do still be excluded simply because they are female?

Yes. Locker rooms, anyone? Laughing

Are you seriously arguing that in an event such as the Olympics, men's teams should be pitted against women's? Do you even realize how one sided that would be?

Again, this isn't me bashing on women or "lolz girls suck so stay at home", but a statement of physical fact. Unless you had some really wimpy men, the men would win every time.

Uhh.. no one said that every single sport should be co-ed or everyone should use the same locker room.. ^^; Also with your example, who cares if the men won every time? The point was that you were giving women the same opportunity and chance, not just going "oh, well, they're ALL not as fast/strong as the men, so don't bother letting them compete because they can't win." Do you realize how condescending that sounds? This isn't about winning, it's about having equal opportunities. It also assumes that out of a lot of individuals, there could NEVER be a woman who could win at a sport over a man, which I think it just not a productive, open way of thinking. And no one is asking for lower standards.

Quote:
There's a reason that certain behaviors and tasks have been attributed to certain genders, and here's a hint: it has nothing to do with "chauvinism" or "oppression". It's simply because certain genders are better suited to certain roles. That's not to say that a girl can't/shouldn't use a jackhammer or a guy can't take care of the kids, but it generally works best if it's the other way around.

This isn't some psychotic rant here. It's a basic, common sense look at the world. However, I do find it sad that I have to qualify every statement with "I'm not bashing women".

You don't have to defend every statement that way, but what you consider to be "common sense" is really just your opinion. Nothing wrong with that, but many of us disagree. While many men and women may be better suited to some tasks than others, I think the point that Cait, Konkonsn and I are trying to make is that we shouldn't have to stereotype *everyone* with these assumptions and not give everyone a fair shake. To use your example- say three people sign up to be a jackhammer-wielding construction workers: two women and one men. One woman doesn't have much endurance or strength, so she is far less productive and is fired. The second woman is pretty capable and does good work, and the man is strongest and has the ability to do the most work, but he is lazy. Both are good enough to keep on the payroll. What I'm trying to say is everyone is different- you shouldn't discount all women because that one weaker woman couldn't do it.

If we ascribe to this "it's common sense that women are better at taking care of children" and drew that to the logical conclusion that all women should have to take care of children, you'd better hope I wasn't taking care of your kids because I am NOT good with children. We're all different and if as a woman I would be "better off" acting as whatever your definition of a woman is, I would feel oppressed. Let's all just be ourselves and not be confined by these false societal constructs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It isn't about special treatment. It's about equal treatment.

In the eyes of the law, yes, men and women are(or should be) treated equally. In daily social living, however, it is not always ideal or even preferable to treat men and women as being identical.

For example, let's take public restrooms. If we're going to take this "equality in all areas!" mantra to it's logical conclusion, then we should immediately merge men's and women's restrooms into a single unisex facility. Either that, or men get to start using the women's restrooms. Equality cuts both ways. Somehow though, I don't think "equal treatment" is really what you want.

This is far from the only example, but it's simple, common sense, and any thinking individual can see why this would never work.

Quote:
Uhh.. no one said that every single sport should be co-ed or everyone should use the same locker room.. ^^

Uhhh... I thought you wanted equality and nobody gets treated differently? Why should the lone woman on an NFL team get her own private locker room and shower? That's not equal treatment!

Quote:
Also with your example, who cares if the men won every time?

Because nobody wants to watch a one sided sporting event. We even have a word for that; it's called "boring".

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not against women being construction workers or department heads or what have you. What I am against is the artificial shoehorning of women into private organizations like sports teams in the name of some perverse definition of "equality". That is neither logical nor equal.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
What I am against is the artificial shoehorning of women into private organizations like sports teams in the name of some perverse definition of "equality". That is neither logical nor equal.

Ugh do you have any idea how patronizing that sounds? It's the same condescending tone used in this article about Eri Yoshida. "Aww, look at that. A woman wants to play on the men's team. Must be a publicity stunt!" Never mind that anyone who displays the necessary skills or merits to qualify for any job, whether in sports or business or child-rearing, should have the same opportunity as their competition, regardless of their sex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Ugh do you have any idea how patronizing that sounds? It's the same condescending tone used in this article about Eri Yoshida. "Aww, look at that. A woman wants to play on the men's team. Must be a publicity stunt!" Never mind that anyone who displays the necessary skills or merits to qualify for any job, whether in sports or business or child-rearing, should have the same opportunity as their competition, regardless of their sex.

When they actually do have the same skills or merits to qualify for a job, you're right, why should it matter? But I think LordPrometheus is getting at the all-too-common practice of quota filling that goes on in a lot of institutions just to make them look 'well rounded', which is not at all done in the spirit of equality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
In daily social living, however, it is not always ideal or even preferable to treat men and women as being identical.

For example, let's take public restrooms. If we're going to take this "equality in all areas!" mantra to it's logical conclusion, then we should immediately merge men's and women's restrooms into a single unisex facility. Either that, or men get to start using the women's restrooms. Equality cuts both ways. Somehow though, I don't think "equal treatment" is really what you want.

This is far from the only example, but it's simple, common sense, and any thinking individual can see why this would never work.

I feel like you're kind of reaching a bit now. I don't think anyone said they had a problem with separating genders when there is an EQUIVALENT activity available for both. All the examples of women busting into men's sports teams is really only because in their schools or what not, the sport they wanted to play was not available for girls (or in some cases, their abilities so greatly outweigh their age/gender group, they have to move on to get real competition). And as I have already acknowledged, yes men and women are physically different- there is nothing unequal about separate bathrooms as long as there are bathrooms for everyone.. (and nowadays we even have family bathrooms for parents with opposite sex children).

Quote:
Because nobody wants to watch a one sided sporting event. We even have a word for that; it's called "boring".

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not against women being construction workers or department heads or what have you. What I am against is the artificial shoehorning of women into private organizations like sports teams in the name of some perverse definition of "equality". That is neither logical nor equal.

As already pointed out before, no one would lower standards for such activities, so I'm not really sure how it would be one-sided anyway.. especially in a team sport. Even so, I regard people's freedom and equality just a little more than I worry about being bored. -_- If girls are playing on boy's sports teams and getting hurt and failing, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. If they play and are awesome, who cares?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
It isn't about special treatment. It's about equal treatment.

In the eyes of the law, yes, men and women are(or should be) treated equally. In daily social living, however, it is not always ideal or even preferable to treat men and women as being identical.

This argument makes zero sense. How is equal treatment synonymous with "there is no such things as gender?" Equality is about human rights, not about the pretense that there is no such thing as gender-specific genitalia.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:

We do have unisex bathrooms in places.
Many, many times while I'm waiting for the Ladies Room (single serve type), a man has exited it.

So what are you talking about? If there is a Men's Room, ther should be a Ladies' Room, but if there is one bathroom, it's unisex & no one I know has an issue with it.

There is a greater freedom for gals to wear guys clothes than the other way around. Haruhi from Ouran has always struck me as just liking comfortable clothes like a lot of teens I know.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and I forgot to address this point in my last post:
LordPrometheus wrote:

For the record, my college DID have "unisex" bathroom facilities, and it didn't bother a soul. I don't know why you think this would be an issue that feminists would get all up-in-arms about.

I'm kind of changing the subject a bit here (maybe bringing it more back on track, actually), but this also reminded me of a rather remarkable leap of progress in Thai schools for the transgender community:

Bathrooms for transsexual students.

I have several transgender friends who often express frustration at society's obsession over Male and Female. What about the people who don't clearly identify with either? There has long been a movement to try and include an "Other" option on documents asking for gender. And bathrooms as well, obviously. Unisex bathrooms and other forward-thinking initiatives would not only help equality between men and women, but transgendered people as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Don't go there on religion. Stop. Religion IS all about domination, being subservient to God, etc.

So all religion is like Christianity? Some religions don't even have a god or gods. The neo-atheist "all religion is bad" is about as suspect as red-scare "godless communism"; right up there with PETA's wackiness. Loved Richard Dawkins's The Selfish Gene; not a fan of his atheist tracts.

Just read an interview in the Summer '08 Bitch with the author of Eve's Bible, a feminist guide to reading the Bible.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Cloe wrote:

When they actually do have the same skills or merits to qualify for a job, you're right, why should it matter? But I think LordPrometheus is getting at the all-too-common practice of quota filling that goes on in a lot of institutions just to make them look 'well rounded', which is not at all done in the spirit of equality.

Thank you, it looks like somebody understood my point. Smile

Quote:

We do have unisex bathrooms in places.
Many, many times while I'm waiting for the Ladies Room (single serve type), a man has exited it.

I'm talking about the sports stadium-style horse trough urinals and the whole nine yards, not a one-at-a-timer. As I said before, somehow I don't think that kind of equality is what you want.

Quote:
Equality is about human rights, not about the pretense that there is no such thing as gender-specific genitalia.

As long as you're just talking human and legal rights, I'm on board with you 100%. I just get very wary when I hear this "equality for women!!!" mantra, and yet fail to see where women are so oppressed. Too often, the "equality" feminists talk about turns out to be forced quotas or some other form of nonsense.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Quote:

As already pointed out before, no one would lower standards for such activities, so I'm not really sure how it would be one-sided anyway.. especially in a team sport. Even so, I regard people's freedom and equality just a little more than I worry about being bored. -_- If girls are playing on boy's sports teams and getting hurt and failing, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. If they play and are awesome, who cares?

The problem there is that in most sports, women can't compete with men evenly, so you'd end up with either integrated teams that have very few women because only a small number would be able to compete at the same level as the men, or you'd get female vs male match ups that end up with lopsided ratio of wins in favor of the males.

At my high school one year, the girls field hockey team played an unofficial game against a bunch of guys. Not a team, just a bunch of guys. The guys won soundly.

Sports don't need equality for men and women, they just need to not be restrictive.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
"If there is a Men's Room, ther should be a Ladies' Room, but if there is one bathroom, it's unisex & no one I know has an issue with it. " - CCSY...

THIS! is the answer I was trying inelegantly to say, that I didn't get to.

It's a reasonable response to make things equal. Doesn't hurt anyone, and is simple. This works for many issues...
konkonsn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
Modern feminism says we are different, but that society says traditionally womanly traits are considered inferior to traits attributed to men. We need to acknowledge that womanly traits have their benefits and aren't inferior.

Nobody that I know has ever said that female traits are inferior to males.

Apparently we all have selective literacy on this forum.

My post on the first page:

Quote:
Ex. Nobody is trying to say that equality in sports means women are just as good at football as men (comparing professionals; I could wipe the floor with the guys in my P.E. classes). Football tends to utilitze the parts of the body that are favored in men. But women are far better in athletics that involve long distance and flexibility. So why is gymnastics not considered as "pure" a sport as football? ^_-

And yet, in the same post you claim that NOBODY says that women's traits are inferior, you also say this:

LordPrometheus wrote:

You absolutely prove my point because I garuntee the sports you thought of when writing that were all sports that men excel in, these sports being the ones that are popularized by the media because we live in a world that...

konkonsn wrote:
...says traditionally womanly traits are considered inferior to traits attributed to men.

But don't feel bad since nobody in the thread noticed your mistake and someone actively supported it.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The problem there is that in most sports, women can't compete with men evenly, so you'd end up with either integrated teams that have very few women because only a small number would be able to compete at the same level as the men, or you'd get female vs male match ups that end up with lopsided ratio of wins in favor of the males...Sports don't need equality for men and women, they just need to not be restrictive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6