• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tratious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
It's a Geneon title, so Aniplex was never in the running.

Anyway, how accessible is this for people who watched the TV series but never played the game?

Source:Ryles@Blogger

Quote:
Plot and Storyline: In the visual novel (which I never played and only read in Wikipedia), Unlimited Blade Works is a alternate scenario that can be unlocked after finishing the primary scenario ("Fate"). True to this, you should have watched the original Fate/Stay Night TV series (or played the visual novel) to easily make sense of what was happening. Scenes were being fast-forwarded and skipped especially at the beginning. The movie seems to be true to the original Unlimited Blade Works storyline. Some minor details were probably changed, but overall, it's the same.
opn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
so wait not only are we getting this licensed but a dub by bangzoom with most likely the same cast as the tv series?!
i think sentai is now without a doubt my favorite licensing company. Very Happy
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
It's actually a TBS license.

I've got the Japanese DVD. It's not. It's a Geneon Universal title. I do believe TBS had a hand in it though.

That being said; immediate buy. Loved the movie despite the material they left out. I only watched it for the fights anyway. Oh and Gil's "Onore!" rant.
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
gojira89 wrote:
With them also releasing it on Blu-ray I'm assuming it will get an English dub. Hopefully it will retain the original English voice cast.

It's getting a dub (production via Bang Zoom! Ent.): link.

HUZZA!!!!
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
As a standalone movie, ot's rubbish.
For fans of the game/series, the action scenes are brilliant.
If they retain the original dub cast Geneon used, then it should be enough to warrent a purchase from me.
Tratious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Tratious wrote:
It's actually a TBS license.

I've got the Japanese DVD. It's not. It's a Geneon Universal title. I do believe TBS had a hand in it though.

That being said; immediate buy. Loved the movie despite the material they left out. I only watched it for the fights anyway. Oh and Gil's "Onore!" rant.
Geneon Universal has the Japanese distribution rights, International(Outside Japan) rights belong to TBS.
Just like the TV show.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
yuetheguardian wrote:
gojira89 wrote:
With them also releasing it on Blu-ray I'm assuming it will get a dub. Hopefully it will retain the original English voice cast.

but don't you wanna hear Luci christian as Rin Tohsaka? Monica Rial as Sakura? Cynthia Martinez as Saber?

Only Kate Higgins can do Saber any justice! She IS Saber! No one else will do!

Luci Christian as Rin? That sounds par for the course. But Sentai had better at least try to keep the VAs from the TV series.

If ADV can do it with season 2 of Ah! My Goddess, Sentai can do it with Unlimited Blade Works.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:

Liam O'Brien was archer, and did a damn good job. If they can get Kate Higgins and Liam back, I'll be happy with that.

And Mela Lee and Sherry Lynn...........
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Cool. Now we just need a license rescue of Fate/Stay Night and a version of Fate/Zero that doesn't cost a king's ransom and we're set.

Why stop there? We could also use a bilingual release of The Garden of Sinners that doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and your firstborn.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see more Fate stuff getting released over here(Although I wish the original visual novel would get a official release far more then the movie or TV series but whatever)

To be honest I wasen't a fan of the TV series despite being a massive fan of the visual novel. Mainly because it tried to stuff bits and pieces of all 3 arcs and a little bit of original crap into one story and it really didn't work and it made the well adapted bits lose all their punch.

The movie did better on this front but still left out a few really important key scenes spoiler[ The attack of Illya's castle for example doesn't have the flash back during her death showing how Beserker was more then just a servant to her as he was there for much of her life] there are other bit's but whatever.

Still a solid movie but it really doesn't hold up for someone who player the original arc it was based on in the visual novel.
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I have an obligation to buy this
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Sweet about time some one gets this but I thought Funi would have got then and come on original cast
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
What great news on my birthday! I was in Japan last year and had to greatly resist the urge to plop down $100 for the blu-ray and only common sense saved my wallet when I realized that there wouldn't be any English subtitles on it.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This is good to hear. I hope Sentai gives it a really nice release so it will look good next to the nice box that Geneon released for Fate/Stay Night. And while I'm not interested in the English dub, I'm glad they're getting back the original cast for those are are.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
It's rare that Sentai surprises me with a license announcement, but this genuinely did. Then I noticed that TBS has international rights so I should have been less surprised. It's still a nice pick up and hopefully they will also add the series, or even Zero after Aniplex's import release has its run. It's even nicer that they are keeping the same dubbing studio and releasing a bluray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5