• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unauthorized Manga Translation Site Pulls Shonen Jump, Viz Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
Hiyugi wrote:
bradc wrote:
Guess we can agree that there is no way to compete with pirates LOL

Yeah, but it doesn't mean I have to like it Confused

These scanalation idiots are bound to make this situation more complicated. Forming dumb*** groups for no damn reason to combat corporations that also give the same damn chapters they love reading. Some of them may know english, but it doesn't make them smart either just so they can make their online name popular.

It's ridiculous.

Do you have a better suggestion how these people can buy it? There is no way around it for them. Viz isn't opening up their doors open and provide a much better service for the rest of the world around them. It's doom to fail regardless for such business model that is center around USA and Canada.

Thing is though, there's only so much Viz can do. It's not like they have international rights to these series, their license only applies to NA and there are publishers in other countries that put out SJ titles meaning Viz would have to either find some make some kind of deal with these other publishers or buy them out (unlikely). I;d love to see this thing go global so that everyone can get a slice of the pie but at the moment it;s pretty unrealistic.
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
Do you have a better suggestion how these people can buy it? There is no way around it for them. Viz isn't opening up their doors open and provide a much better service for the rest of the world around them. It's doom to fail regardless for such business model that is center around USA and Canada.

Well, they gotta start somewhere...

You know, many projects like this one starts off a bit bumpy (let me rephrase that...with barbwire, nails and acid), especially with the usage of the internet worldwide. Viz's Shonen Jump Alpha just needs time to grow, and eventually their system will be like Crunchyroll where they can open up the region locks on other countries.

Crunchyroll didn't have it that easy either when it was legally established with certain episodes that was region blocked, and they still don't have it easy. But they are accomplishing something where many copycat groups have failed.

Some people just need to be patient and not be selfish.

And being impatient and selfish are the main problems with some people on the internet today.

Projects like these takes weeks, months and maybe a couple of years for it ripe with fruition.

I for one hope Viz's Shonen Jump Alpha will succeed. But it depends on some of world's internet readers, that don't break out in insanity that their latest chapter of Naruto didn't come out this week and this second.

Sheesh...

Last edited by Hiyugi on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
sarusa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Whack whack whack! Whoops, popped back up again.
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
bradc wrote:

Well, they gotta start somewhere...

You know, many projects like this one starts off a bit bumpy (let me rephrase that...with barbwire, nails and acid), especially with the usage of the internet worldwide. Viz's Shonen Jump Alpha just needs time to grow, and eventually their system will be like Crunchyroll where they can open up the region locks on their countries.

Crunchyroll didn't have it that easy either when it came to region blocks, and they still don't, but they are accomplishing something where many have failed.

Some people just need to be patient and not be selfish.

And being impatient and selfish are the main problems with some people on the internet today.

Projects like these takes weeks, months and maybe a couple of years for it ripe with fruition.

I for one hope Viz's Shonen Jump Alpha will succeed. But it depends on some of world's internet readers, that don't break out in insanity that their latest chapter of Naruto didn't come out this week and this second.

Sheesh...

Where did VIZ go wrong?

By shutting down a better service, while they put up their service? Some competition. It's completely different from Crunchy Roll; they didn't go around and shut down their competitors, since it came from the same source of content.

Last edited by bradc on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Dear Viz: You edit manga. Sure the people who only read Naruto and Bleach might not care, but everyone else does. Why should we help you?
Sincerely, the manga community.

Yeah.. that's one way to look at it. Not only do you need a competitive service, you need a competitive product. For the record, Viz's Naruto does edit out all the homosexuality, alcohol, tobacco, and etc. Throw in questionable translations that range from incompetent translations to flat out name changes and the people will take it on themselves to find an alternative.

bradc wrote:
Guess we can agree that there is no way to compete with pirates LOL

If one's goal is to stop piracy then they've already lost. The only thing companies can do is offer a competitive alternative so the average person will not resort to piracy.

Last edited by TitanXL on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
Why would someone bother scanlating something that's going to come out legally in a mere 2 weeks anyways?

I'm all for scanlating, but it really should only be done with titles that have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out in English. Or titles that the English publisher dropped.

Same question would apply: Would one go to a store and buy something (book, milk, stale bread) that's two weeks old?

Something nonperishable? A book? macaroni? socks? pencils? cat food?

Yes, of course. What a silly question.

bradc wrote:
... Do you have a better suggestion how these people can buy it? There is no way around it for them. Viz isn't opening up their doors open and provide a much better service for the rest of the world around them. It's doom to fail regardless for such business model that is center around USA and Canada.
... yes, this is a strong argument to be deployed by all of the scanlation aggregators that filter North American IP addresses, and so are focused on those people who "can't" get it.

But beside the point for this article: Mangastream decided to compete directly with Viz in their distribution territory, because its the North American hits that generate the ad revenue.

Its interesting that people choose to focus on the things that Viz can only do something about if SJAlpha is a strong success ~ strong subscription growth generates revenue that can be used to shorten lead times, it generates revenues that can be reinvested into expanding the stable of series, it allows expanding region rights ~ and ignore the things that Viz could fix right now.

Pricing. The per issue cost is reasonable, but where did Viz get the idea that per issue and annual subscription are the only approaches to use for a digital weekly magazine? $1/wk and $0.50/wk for annual (a few more cents, but approximately four bits), suggests that about $0.75/week quarterly is a good intermediate spot. And that's $8.95/quarterly, and the $3 savings, extended access of a quarterly subscription and still less than a lot of fast food lunches is an excellent price point to get people to step up from $1/week.

But the big thing is that Viz's reader sucks for anything with a screen smaller than an iPad ~ and sucks for a 10" netbook with widescreen that is ideal for anime streaming. I tried the Mangastream "reader", which is "display a page with annoying ads surrounding it" ... and while it serves much slower than the SJAlpha, its actually more useable. Since it doesn't IMPOSE zoom, you can use your browser zooming control, and it doesn't get reset EVERY DAMN PAGE. That's the same with Sh-Ctrl-+ on Firefox and pinch to zoom on my Nook Color stock browser. You have to slide around to get to the next page control, but at least you do not have to fiddle with the zoom EVERY SINGLE DAMN PAGE, like the Viz player.

How hard would it be to add a setting "lock zoom"?

And Viz's reader shouldn't be aiming to MATCH Mangastream, which is no reader at all, just made do with your browser ... it should kick the Mangastream page reader's teeth in as far as ease of use ... just like it does in terms of speed of page serving, where they obviously TRIED to beat their competition.

How about a setting allowing pop-up full sized controls, instead of the undersized controls to avoid using up too much screen real estate?

How about making the top 1/5 and bottom 1/5 of the display a "no page turn" zone, so you can drag and slide the display around without doing an accidental page turn (and with no locked zoom, having to reset your zoom ALL OVER AGAIN_?

How about locking the edge when the page is zoomed larger than the display in that dimension? Allow the page to be flicked across and STOP where you obviously WANT IT TO STOP. PerfectViewer for Android works that way with comics, and it works well.

Hell, how about a "four corner" setting that puts the inside corner of the top and right margins, bottom and right margins, top and left margins, and bottom and left margins in their respective corners of the display in turn on "Next Page", and then I only have to reset the zoom and slide around for the occasional fancy full two page display.

I'll buy niche manga on JManga like Poor Poor Lips to support that niche. And when I buy manga on JManga, I buy access as long as JManga is in business, so if they upgrade their viewer, I can read Poor Poor Lips then.

But I am not buying temporary access to mass market manga on SJAlpha unless I can read it comfortable and easily.

Last edited by agila61 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
catandmouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind waiting. Heck, I have a ton of manga, and my collection keeps growing, but what irks me from Viz and that holds me back from buying Bleach (the only series I was really interested from the ones that have been dropped) is the translation. Bleach has many relationships and everyone speaks accordingly, but by taking away the honorifics everyone becomes the same, but what bothers me is why in some series they keep the honorifics, yet in others they don't? If I remember correctly, the left the honorifics in Rinne, in Beauty Pop, yet there are no honorifics in Natsume's Book of Friends, Ouran, etc.
I could live without honorifics in some series, like the ones where they are in a fantasy setting or that it doesn't take place in Japan, but for other stories, I think that the honorifics are needed.

All in all, I don't mind companies trying to protect their products, but sometimes the products they release are kinda lacking or they drop them altogether.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

People can buy the manga vol when they come out in print.
I think those people won't buy them either way. that's why manga has such poor sale outside of Japan and France.

Do you have better suggestion for viz? They just don't want people to read their manga without paying and they don't want people to make money using their works. If you don't have any better suggestions, they will have to try what they can.

How about you write 1000 pages of comic, then viz uses it to make money without talking to you.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
Why would someone bother scanlating something that's going to come out legally in a mere 2 weeks anyways?

I'm all for scanlating, but it really should only be done with titles that have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out in English. Or titles that the English publisher dropped.

Same question would apply: Would one go to a store and buy something (book, milk, stale bread) that's two weeks old?

*The Rock eyebrow raise* Poor analogy. Such food perishables have a short shelf-life.

Better analogy: Canned green beans, which has a shelf-life of several years. Whether you buy it a day after it was canned, 2 weeks, or even several months later, it doesn't matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Divineking wrote:

Those people don't buy it either way that they manga has such poor sale outside of Japan and France.

Do you have better suggestion for viz? They just don't want people to read their manga without paying and they don't want people to make money using their works. If you don't have any better suggestions, they will have to try what they can.

How about you write 1000 pages of comic, then viz uses it to make money without talking to you.

Provide a better service; lack of thereof content on their website as they already did the job in getting it up. But not allowing competition pretty comes to the question who is going to buy from where? Since their website Shounen Jump Alpha is a self-discovery and buy if you like. Would this make people buy more of their manga from their website?

Last edited by bradc on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
Where did VIZ go wrong?

By shutting down a better service, while they put up their service? Some competition. It's completely different from Crunchy Roll; they didn't go around and shut down their competitors, since it came from the same source of content.

I can't call M****stream competition...I refuse to call M****stream and any other site like that competition. Competition is the wrong word to use when addressing them...

If those scan sites truly wanted to be in service to the Manga artists and writers, they should've accounted and payed the companies they work for a huge percentage of what they made off on advertisement profits for every potential view and visit.

As I see it, they were reeking in the benefits of Manga Artists and Writers work that was not their own to make a profit with.

Don't take Japanese Anime/Manga corporations lightly, they're not that stupid about how scan/fansub sites keep running with massive server data to their linked material.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Divineking wrote:

Those people don't buy it either way that they manga has such poor sale outside of Japan and France.

Provide a better service; lack of thereof content on their website as they already did the job in getting it up. But not allowing competition pretty comes to the question who is going to buy from where? Since their website Shounen Jump Alpha is a self-discovery and buy if you like. That being side, this still isn't going anywhere.

that's not better suggestion. Better service, don't stop people from reading it online for free. You can buy naruto, one piece vol 1- 30+

this is my question. You your suggestion doesn't work.
Do you have better suggestion for viz? They just don't want people to read their manga without paying and they don't want people to make money using their works.

what do you mean they don't allow competition? You makes no sense at all. Any body can write their own manga and sell it online or in print.

Please, don't say competition = steal other people's work. that's not competition. If i'm allow to steal Apple's work, hire Engineer to reverse engineering iphone, ipad... then I will sell those produces.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
bradc wrote:
Where did VIZ go wrong?

I can't call M****stream competition...I refuse to call M****stream and any other site like that competition. Competition is the wrong word to use when addressing them...

If those scan sites truly wanted to be in service to the Manga artists and writers, they should've accounted and payed the companies they work for a huge percentage of what they made off on advertisement profits for every potential view and visit.

As I see it, they were reeking in the benefits of Manga Artists and Writers work that was not their own to make a profit with.

Don't take Japanese Anime/Manga corporations lightly, they're not that stupid about how scan/fansub sites keep running with massive server data to their linked material.

Is from the same source of content where the manga is released early. Where Shounen Jump Alpha is providing the same thing from their publisher where they are digital copy where one already owns the original copy.

Spotlesseden wrote:
that's not better suggestion. Better service, don't stop people from reading it online for free. You can buy naruto, one piece vol 1- 30+

what do you mean they don't allow competition? You makes no sense at all. Any body can write their own manga and sell it online or in print.

Please, don't say competition = steal other people work.

Companies/Corporation either provide better services or product. If the product is from the same source, than it would make sense to provide a better service to said consumers (fans).

Last edited by bradc on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, woo, the forces of Not America are slightly invoncinanced whilst Viz does nothing (realistic) to implement the real solution, which would be International access to SJA.

Yeah, you keep telling yourselves you're "Bold" and what not, and I'll still be at oneofamillionplacesicanreadnewonepiece.scanlation regardless because you refuse to take my Scottish money.

In these times of austerity, refusing money is a very dumb thing to do.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
The biggest thing to me about needing them ASAP is that a big part of enjoying manga is being able to discuss it and not being spoiled beforehand (thats why I can't enjoy the long running anime as much). If you wait 2 weeks, the discussions about the manga issue won't be as significant and you might hear spoilers for upcoming weeks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11