• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ayumi Hamasaki to Sing Live-Action Dragonball's Theme Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Total bs. He probably just asked for whoever was the most popular artist in Japan, and then hired her on spot. If he liked her music, then that would imply he had any understanding of the appeal of Japanese pop culture in general; and therefore, he would've done a good job on DB.

As you continue to wallow in your hatred for this film. My condolences to you.
siken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Total bs. He probably just asked for whoever was the most popular artist in Japan, and then hired her on spot. If he liked her music, then that would imply he had any understanding of the appeal of Japanese pop culture in general; and therefore, he would've done a good job on DB.

As you continue to wallow in your hatred for this film. My condolences to you.

I don't see how someone could hate something they've never seen. Its like a child and food, the child has never tasted it before but they'll make all the ugliest faces at it until they try it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I said this a while ago.It shares names in common,nothing more.

Am I correct in assuming that by this, you suggest that this film is not in fact an adaptation of any other work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
siken wrote:
I don't see how someone could hate something they've never seen. Its like a child and food, the child has never tasted it before but they'll make all the ugliest faces at it until they try it.

I've never been to a toxic waste dump before, but even without experiencing it firsthand I'm relatively sure it's not a place I'd like to be.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I said this a while ago.It shares names in common,nothing more.

Am I correct in assuming that by this, you suggest that this film is not in fact an adaptation of any other work?
Any other work? It could be any number of works.No one outside the industry has seen it yet. Are you suggesting that it is? Are you an insider? If so,hey,that's great,but how about they actually try to adapt Dragonball and stop giving fans the run around.

This going off everything they have given us,and it looks so loosely based off Dragonball it's not even funny.But hell,I understand that there are non-fans of the series that eat up second and third rate crap like this.Let them enjoy.

Seriously though,if it was adapted officially,Fox could have pulled out about thirteen (still heavily criticized) movies,instead of three (rumored) very watered down films.I enjoy first party quality,anyone else?

Fox has the resources to make something great,and yet they don't.I shouldn't say "don't",I should say "can't", because it was adapted by non-fans for non-fans,and nothing but bad memories comes out of that.I can't wait for this POS to arrive.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Besides, the director really has no real obligation to the fans to adapt something perfectly.

We don't want perfection, we want as close of an adaption as possible to the original source material as can be allowed. When you severely alter what made the source material desired in the first place, your not adapting it, your ****ing ruining it. I mean, is that hard to make Goku's hair Spikey and be a complete moron to general life, Bulma to have blue hair and act like a technical otaku, Master Roshi be bald and have a beard with a turtle shell on his back and be a pervert, and the Dragonballs made by some green guy who lives in a palace in the clouds?

This is why alot of "historical movies" sometimes fall flat on their face. Look at Pearl Harbor: theirs what, a whole boatload of historical inaccuracies, ranging from the types of transportation used to the sequence of events. It also didn't help the fact that they added the love triangle to the mix, and I recall the only "historical fact" they were proud of was the type of Coke bottles they used to administer blood!!

Coke bottles? Their proud of that fact? What?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Buster:
Quote:
Besides, the director really has no real obligation to the fans to adapt something perfectly.

They do have an obligation to get the gist of the source material correct, though. Forbidden Kingdom is more of a DB movie than the real DB movie, and they basically Westernized the material.

siken: If it looks like a turd...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Any other work? It could be any number of works.No one outside the industry has seen it yet. Are you suggesting that it is? Are you an insider? If so,hey,that's great,but how about they actually try to adapt Dragonball and stop giving fans the run around.

This going off everything they have given us,and it looks so loosely based off Dragonball it's not even funny.But hell,I understand that there are non-fans of the series that eat up second and third rate crap like this.Let them enjoy.

Seriously though,if it was adapted officially,Fox could have pulled out about thirteen (still heavily criticized) movies,instead of three (rumored) very watered down films.I enjoy first party quality,anyone else?

Fox has the resources to make something great,and yet they don't.I shouldn't say "don't",I should say "can't", because it was adapted by non-fans for non-fans,and nothing but bad memories comes out of that.I can't wait for this POS to arrive.

It is explicitly referred to as an adaptation on the film's website. I'm not informed enough to pinpoint which specific aspects of the franchise they are adapting though, if indeed any.
I'm not a Dragon Ball fan in the slightest, but the footage shown thus far doesn't appear to suggest I'd enjoy the finished product. I respect that some fans of the franchise may hold feelings against it to a stronger degree than I do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see it,Zin5ki.I hope it wins me over somehow.I do like the actors they casted,and it's cool they got Ayumi Hamasaki to sing the theme.What I'm interested in seeing,is what those alien freaks were and how they fit into the picture.

Oh man,merchandise.I had forgotten about the merchandise side of things.I also want to see the action figures that come from this. Laughing
Jonasan
ANN Video Director & Producer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This Dragonball movie does look like it's going to be terrible. Reminds me of the Street Fighter Live Action movie.

That said, I take issue with those who say a live action adaptation should be as close to the source material as possible. It's a different medium. There should be no obligation to have to make sure every detail is the same, and doing so doesn't make it a better movie. Pearl Harbor doesn't suck because of historical inaccuracies. Pearl Harbor sucks because it sucks.

As long as a respect for the spirit or the essence of the original material is there, then I think the adaptation can be great. I think the latest Batman movies are a great example of this.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Jonasan wrote:
This Dragonball movie does look like it's going to be terrible. Reminds me of the Street Fighter Live Action movie.

That said, I take issue with those who say a live action adaptation should be as close to the source material as possible. It's a different medium. There should be no obligation to have to make sure every detail is the same, and doing so doesn't make it a better movie. Pearl Harbor doesn't suck because of historical inaccuracies. Pearl Harbor sucks because it sucks.

As long as a respect for the spirit or the essence of the original material is there, then I think the adaptation can be great. I think the latest Batman movies are a great example of this.

Perhaps not, and to this day I still believe trying to adapt a super shounen anime show in which the suspension of belief is already driven to the limit is nearly impossible, it doesn't appear that they really tried to give it a shot Confused

I can deal with the fact Goku's hair isn't spikey, Bulma's hair isn't completely blue, and that Roshi isn't bald nor have a beard. These are details that aren't integral to the story. It's when they start messing with personalities that it grinds on my nerves. Goku is the exact opposite in personality to his anime counterpart. He isn't happy go lucky and bubbly, he's a loner that get's picked on at school? Roshi is also a polar opposite, rather than a lecherous hermit, he's a recluse who couldn't be more serious. And there's no getting over the fact the whole high school back drop as done for the sheer purpose of pandering to a certain audience Rolling Eyes

That's not an adaptation, that's show boating a big title that already has a massive estabished fanbase, and riding off of that to make something that couldn't any farther from what the title suggests.

Dragonball surely just is the name of the movie and nothing more.
noseless

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it's hilarious that the same people keep trolling every article having anything to do with the DragonBall movie while saying the same thing over and over again. We get it... you think it's going to suck... you're probably right... so can we stop griping now?

Movies are supposed to be entertainment. If you don't like the concept, don't go see it. Give it a chance and THEN whine about it.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I might be so bad, that it's good. Like Gun-doh Musashi, or Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I can't wait to see it,Zin5ki.I hope it wins me over somehow.I do like the actors they casted,and it's cool they got Ayumi Hamasaki to sing the theme.What I'm interested in seeing,is what those alien freaks were and how they fit into the picture.

Well, I'm glad somebody here actually has some enthusiasm for the film. I just can't help but wonder why the people who have already hated the movie before it's out can say it like that. Brings me back to those days when a certain sect of people were complaining about the Transformers film. I loved it, and hope I can say that the film that will be coming out will be somewhat good. It's a new generation out there, some people probably haven't even heard of the series.
siken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
siken wrote:

I've never been to a toxic waste dump before, but even without experiencing it firsthand I'm relatively sure it's not a place I'd like to be.

lmao nice.. Unless the parent is crazy i dont think they are feeding the kid toxic though xD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4