• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Savage Tweeting with Erin and Noah

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

The weeaboo is strong with that article.

Never mind that half of what it says is completely bullshit.

I will say that Chris does present anime in an unrealistic manner. A lot of it is simply cheery picking certain anime, and claiming that this is true across the board. There are some anime with great relationships and other anime either have some bland dude with a harem or have two characters yell out each other's name. If anime is not being influenced by western animation, than that's really going to set it back because there's less room to grow.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Nah, man, there's way more to Western fantasy than Tolkien and Conan inspired stuff. There's a ton of "fairytale" inspired fantasy, for example--either retellings of fairytales or stories that have a "folktale" sort of feel. There's supernatural action stuff a la Buffy. There's fantasy romance stuff like Twilight. There's "urban fantasy" which goes all over the place.

I don't think I'd call that fantasy any more than I would Batman and Superman, despite them all technically fitting the definition of 'make believe stories'. Stuff like Buffy, Twilight, World of Darkness (you can combine all three of these to just 'the vampire' genre' really) superheroes in general, those are seem more 'supernatural'. Which is usually just the modern world with a bit of a twist.

Fairy tales, well I suppose. Shrek makes it's living off that. Depends which ones were talking about I guess.

Chagen46 wrote:

I agree.

Miyazaki is pretty overrated and a predictable choice for director. He should have replaced #1 with Satoshi Kon or something. Maybe Go Nagai or Yoshiyuki Tomino to mix things up a bit more. Satoshi Kon's work would make a bigger impact I'd say than the guy people keep calling 'Japanese Disney' if you wanted to show people something different.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, the .hack hate. My inner .hack fan is crying.

As for films and series being released;

NANOHA THE MOVIE 2nd. Because Reinforce. Hopefully, Materials too. I can hope, right?
I'll probably check out Arietty when I have the chance. Loved the book so I'll probably enjoy the film.
Eva 3 looks GOOD. And by GOOD, I mean "HOLY CRAP! What's going on, Anno? Depressed or happy?"

Oh god. Rio-Rainbow Gate. I still need to finish it.

I broke out laughing when the funding conversation happened. Best convo all day.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
doing another post about the manga/anime differences. Yes I do understand where people are coming from on this angel epically zac however to me it depends on how the series is adapted. Are they going for an original ending like the Air manga where the MC doesn't die or just a quick adaption??

J.C. Staff is not the best example of this epically when it came to the rail-gun manga adaption. They took a scifi action series and made it into a slice of life with some action elements on the latter halves of the arcs. This gave me a legit reason to read the manga and watch the anime because of the huge differences in them.

Then there was the full metal alchemist anime which i do love however when it did the split from the manga with Nazis WWII I personally I was like..what?? I do realize the manga was still ongoing at the time. This is why the anime creators had to make some material new material for the story to end the series, again this is why i followed the manga when it did the split and watched the anime as well until brotherhood came out...ahem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Nah, man, there's way more to Western fantasy than Tolkien and Conan inspired stuff. There's a ton of "fairytale" inspired fantasy, for example--either retellings of fairytales or stories that have a "folktale" sort of feel. There's supernatural action stuff a la Buffy. There's fantasy romance stuff like Twilight. There's "urban fantasy" which goes all over the place.

I don't think I'd call that fantasy any more than I would Batman and Superman, despite them all technically fitting the definition of 'make believe stories'. Stuff like Buffy, Twilight, World of Darkness (you can combine all three of these to just 'the vampire' genre' really) superheroes in general, those are seem more 'supernatural'. Which is usually just the modern world with a bit of a twist. ...

Yeah, but there's a boatload more of that which is entrenched in the fantasy genre novels even if it never gets TV shows / movies ~ like the elves in the modern day kind of books of Lackey's SERRAted Edge (there's a great post by Limyaael about the foibles of urban fantasy). If "High Fantasy" is the medieval world with a bit of a twist, then the modern world with a bit of a twist can still be fantasy. And of course there is the SF/fantasy crossovers like Andre Norton's YA Witchworld novels.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah as a fellow fan I know how you feel. But it's hard to blame Zac and Erin for not liking it based off of just the anime (or at least it sounded like they hadn't read the books or played the games), because the franchise is spread over a lot of different mediums and you aren't really going to understand the story from just one of them.

I have to say I really liked the comments on Aniplex model, I am starting to get really tired of fans complaining about it. I'll admit when I first went to buy one of their releases I was a little taken back at the price, but once I actually got the release and saw the quality I stopped complaining about the prices. The picture, sound, and packaging of their releases in noticeably better than most other companies, and I don't mind paying a little more for it.
Zump

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac's statement about how adult animation in the west doesn't have to be comedy reminds me of TV shows such as Spawn, The Maxx, and Aeon Flux, none of which were comedies, but were well-written and very well made. If shows like those could have been made way back in the 90s, what's to prevent studios from trying to produce similar shows nowadays? There is a new Spawn series in the works, but it doesn't look like it will be seeing the light of day anytime soon.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Square Enix CG > Western CG.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:

I have to say I really liked the comments on Aniplex model, I am starting to get really tired of fans complaining about it. I'll admit when I first went to buy one of their releases I was a little taken back at the price, but once I actually got the release and saw the quality I stopped complaining about the prices. The picture, sound, and packaging of their releases in noticeably better than most other companies, and I don't mind paying a little more for it.

I don't buy anime because I like the packaging I buy anime to support the industry so more anime can be brought over here. Maybe just maybe we can put enough money that the Japanese will notice this and make an anime that doesn't star cute girls wearing cute clothes.

Spotlesseden wrote:

That really doesn't make up for the fact that generally the CG in anime is distracting, and stiff.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Grim.Noir wrote:
BTW, what's the "over"/"under" that Erin re-casts this on the Ninja Consultants site next week...? Laughing

I'm not going to recast it, so you can stop placing bets! I haven't even recast the 2nd half of that AWO episode yet...

I don't think I mentioned it in the show but I recorded a Ninja Consultant episode over Christmas with Steve Harrison, and it's sitting around unedited because of some troublesome audio problems.

Big Hed wrote:
And hey, I've got a family friend who lives in South Nyack! It's beautiful--during summer, at least.

One of Noah's famous ancestors is even buried there! That guy's nose runs in the family, btw... and maybe the beard does, too...

Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Music became cheap to make because musicians moved from the orchestra model to the 4 man band model, to soloists. But recording use to be expensive, until technology moved from the studio to the bedroom.

And big, expensive productions still have their place, and well produced work will still draw an audience.

I hadn't considered the cost of recording. My comments were mostly about the death of huge pop music hits and record labels specifically... It's something I give more thought to than I probably should.

504NOSON2 wrote:
I actually think Japan does a fine job with CGI (I just watched, both, GitS: SAC and Appleseed this month. Man, what amazing experiences). Plus, didn't the supposed Holy Grail of all anime movies, Redline, use some CG?

I mention the CG in Red Line in my recent review of it, although Red Line is more remarkable for its lack of CG. But yeah, I think Production IG in particular does very good CG.

Zump wrote:
Spawn, The Maxx, and Aeon Flux, none of which were comedies, but were well-written and very well made. If shows like those could have been made way back in the 90s, what's to prevent studios from trying to produce similar shows nowadays?

I've never seen the Spawn cartoon, but apparently it was on HBO? Spawn is easier to explain as it was a huge hit back in the late '90s, and HBO has money.

The Maxx was also based on a comic, albeit, a smaller one that was less popular than Spawn, which also got a live action movie back then. Both the Maxx and Aeon Flux were made by MTV Animation. Follow the money, like I was saying in the podcast! MTV Animation closed its doors in 2001, right when I graduated from film school.

When it comes to dramatic cartoons for adults, the biggest problem may be the brand identity nature of cable channels. MTV had a block of dramatic and weird shows where they could try out things like The Maxx. MTV could fund shows like that with an outlet to air them. The "Adult Swim" block on Cartoon Network is all about comedy, with anime rounding out any drama. Basically to fund a dramatic cartoon for adults you need a cable channel to back it, and that channel needs a block to try out similar shows for the same demographic. TV in this country is all about demographics...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

504NOSON2 wrote:
I actually think Japan does a fine job with CGI (I just watched, both, GitS: SAC and Appleseed this month. Man, what amazing experiences). Plus, didn't the supposed Holy Grail of all anime movies, Redline, use some CG?

I mention the CG in Red Line in my recent review of it, although Red Line is more remarkable for its lack of CG. But yeah, I think Production IG in particular does very good CG.

[quote="Charred Knight"]
050795 wrote:

Spotlesseden wrote:

That really doesn't make up for the fact that generally the CG in anime is distracting, and stiff.

Most anime don't want to use high quality CG because they are expensive to make. Why would you want to waste money on something that you know it won't sell enough to cover the cost? If Red Line uses Square Enix/western technology to make CG, they would lose so much money. Square tried to make a CG movie(Final Fantasy), it almost bankrupt the company. FF7:AC made alot of money, but SE is too scare to make another CG movie because they are expensive to make. Some Western Video game companies hires SE to make CG open for their games.

Give them hollywood budget, they can make the same CG as hollywood.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Spotlesseden"]
erinfinnegan wrote:

504NOSON2 wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:
050795 wrote:

Spotlesseden wrote:

Most anime don't want to use high quality CG because they are expensive to make. Why would you want to waste money on something that you know it won't sell enough to cover the cost? If Red Line uses Square Enix/western technology to make CG, they would lose so much money. Square tried to make a CG movie(Final Fantasy), it almost bankrupt the company. FF7:AC made alot of money, but SE is too scare to make another CG movie because they are expensive to make. Some Western Video game companies hires SE to make CG open for their games.

Give them hollywood budget, they can make the same CG as hollywood.

Wait i was under the impression that they did make another movie... Final Fantasy 13 was certainly no game...pretty as hell but no game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Logical Fallacy Alert!!!

...And the Ignoratio elenchi is strong in your opening statement, as it does nothing in the way of refuting the validity of Chris' points. Try giving a point-by-point expostulation of what makes every number, 9-1, "complete bullshit", in your opinion.

Charred Knight wrote:
I will say that Chris does present anime in an unrealistic manner. A lot of it is simply cheery picking certain anime, and claiming that this is true across the board. There are some anime with great relationships and other anime either have some bland dude with a harem or have two characters yell out each other's name. If anime is not being influenced by western animation, than that's really going to set it back because there's less room to grow.

Unrealistic, how? I don't see how he cherry picked in the slightest bit. (If you're referring to the fact that there's a screen cap of an anime series/movie above each number on the list, I don't think he was saying that those specific works, exclusively, bear those qualities, but, rather, they're greatly presented in those genres; some aren't even identified (i.e. 5 cm/sec, Le Chevalier D'Eon, and, I think, Royal Space Force). And "Hayao Miyazaki" (Ghibli) is a genre unto itself, which -- many would agree -- is superior to just about every Western cartoon ever conceived. Notice that he specifically uses the descriptors "many" "a lot" "a greal deal of" "often" and never engages in blanketing generalizations by using "all".

I've said before, the fact you don't have an account on "American Cartoon News Network", with "My Cartoon" and "My Comic" lists, and your sprawling, towering collections of DVDs/BDs of animation are predominately of Japanese origin, I think, rather convincingly, substantiates the opinion that anime has a monopoly on all those qualities listed by Mr. Beveridge. C'mon, people. Let's be real, here. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. No one is saying there aren't. But, the general rule still exists.

erinfinnegan wrote:

Oh, I missed that week's column. Thanks! I'll get around to checking out Red Line, eventually. Just to see if it's worth all the chatter.

And I'm a proud I.G fanboy. Cool
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah as a fellow fan I know how you feel. But it's hard to blame Zac and Erin for not liking it based off of just the anime (or at least it sounded like they hadn't read the books or played the games), because the franchise is spread over a lot of different mediums and you aren't really going to understand the story from just one of them.

yeah....

The original .hack series and the .hack//G.U. arc are the best parts of .hack//. I would have bought .hack//Link for the PSP if it had come out. But where they're going with it now? It's garbage.
I'm done collecting the franchise, like Zac said its getting repetitive with what the story is about.

As far as .hack//Quantum I thought it was good for a two reason.
1) They got rid of f*cking Bee Train and actually got a decent anime studio.
2) It sorta tells in the story that Jun Bansyoya's sister is still looking after "The World" even after the events long ago.

But yeah I can't blame Zac or most people for hating .hack//, most if not all the anime suck. As a .hack fan I acknowledge the anime's suck. Its the video games, novels and some of the manga that really are the best parts of .hack//.
If you wanna judge .hack// play .hack//G.U. vol.1 Rebirth, play it! just once, try it! Its for the PS2! base your opinion on the game not the animes.
The animes are either really slow and boring like (.hack//Roots), too chibi mind-f*ck (.hack//Legend of the Twilight) and to whiney (.hack//Sign).
Me and my cousin always joke about Tsukasa repeating himself saying "Your just so selfish"
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

I'd though I saw somewhere about one of the sports anime using CGI so that the background blobs in stadium shots moved around more naturally than otherwise ~ Giant Killing, maybe? But as far as I recall, it was effective, in part because it was unobtrusive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6