• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Census: Bookstore Sales Down 15.6% in December

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Why do you think that is? Rolling Eyes

The only good bookstore chain shut down.

(Granted, we only have two bookstore chains in the midwest...and there's no way in hell Barnes & Noble is getting my money)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Barnes & Noble is the only one I've ever been to, so Borders closing down didn't really affect me.
siradix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
When living on the east coast the closest bookstore was an hour away, and that was a Borders. No clue where I would find one there now. In the Midwest, I have a Barnes & Noble five minutes away. Never really seen any bookstore besides those two.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Why do you think that is? Rolling Eyes

The only good bookstore chain shut down.

(Granted, we only have two bookstore chains in the midwest...and there's no way in hell Barnes & Noble is getting my money)

Books-a-Million? Yeah, don't support those crazy-ass idiots.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Where I live, there were 3 Borders closeby and 1 Barnes and Noble. Before Borders' filing for bankrupcy, the B&N that was across the street from a Borders shut down :/ So now, with all of Borders gone, the closest B&N is out of my way, 30 minutes down a busy highway. I'd go to more bookstores if there were any nearby... Half Price only caters to me "find old books" fix, but it's not the same...
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
I got a B&N membership, but ended up never using it. The second I became able to buy stuff online I realized pretty much everything is cheaper online, even with the membership discount.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
I had honestly never even heard of Borders until all the hype about it's closing. Barnes & Noble has always been my bookstore. There's a tiny University one about 20 minutes away, and there's the full sized one I've always gone to about 45 minutes away. It recently moved to a mall outlet (in the space of an old movie theater), but it seems the same to me. Razz I still see a LOT of people shopping, so this article is surprising.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
Also, all the ebook readers that they are pushing ~ the sales of the ebooks aren't counted toward the sales of the store that sold the ebook reader. And those that are sold online don't even count to the sales of any particular bookstore for the reader itself.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
This is a magor disaster here in Puerto Rico with the fall of Borders. I use to like roaming the bookselves you never know what you find a book you never knew existed and a surprise to purchase and read. Can't afford to buy a KINDLE or B&N-NOOK and I am old fashion like to read a real solid book. Have to buy them now via mail catalog what a bummer. Crying or Very sad
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
I actually buy more of my books from my local grocery store and department stores these days. When Borders closed up my neighborhood Waldenbooks store years earlier, the nearest book store was a Barnes & Noble that was a nearly an hour's drive away and in a heavy traffic area.

It's little wonder that bookstore sales are down because bookstores are increasingly few and far between to some people, if not many people. Can't blame folks for turning to online stores and E-books.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This is surprising to me since the b&n i work at did better this christmas than last year. Still they probably dont count knook and cafe sales into this.

What's wrong with b&n? They dont advertise it but they have the buy 2 viz manga get 3rd free deal too.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
This makes me depressed. Sad Even with e-readers on the rise I still prefer to have a physical copy of a book in my hand when I'm reading it. Not to mention not having to worry about accidentally dropping a $100+ piece of equipment that contains my entire library on it... Where I live we don't have any of the big chain stores, just a modest privately-owned bookstore that's been around for over thirty years now. Sadly, the only reason I think they're still hanging on is because we're located in Juneau, Alaska - no competition from the bigger chains, though the internet and e-books are becoming the more worrisome component. I worked there for seven years... seeing the decline of the brick-and-mortar bookstore business makes me sad.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's wrong with b&n? They don't advertise it but they have the buy 2 viz manga get 3rd free deal too.
Do they? I know there USED to be a little blurb on their website, much like amazon's 4 for 3 deal, but I don't see it there now. I'd love to buy more from B&N, they have fairly nice stores, but for someone with a limited budget and who already knows what they're looking for...

I suppose it doesn't matter a whole bunch, seeing as TRSI winds up being my pick 70-80% of the time, but not advertising a substantial deal like that in an economics recession is an oversight.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Another reason I think is because so many manga readers, more the younger ones, don't think they have to pay for manga. You just hear how they are whinning at VIZ and shonen jump alpha saying they shouldnt have to pay for it because its 2 weeks behind japan.I know there have always been people who never pay for their manga but it seems a lot worse now then it used to.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
This is surprising to me since the b&n i work at did better this christmas than last year. ...

When total number of retail locations take a big dive down, its possible for sales to be up on averahe at remaining stores and total sales to still take a dive.

And like Mawdryn says, the B&N and Borders locations did not completely overlap ~ some people will be buying books in other locations. The last few books I bought in a retailer were at a supermarket and a drug store, neither of which would have books as 0.5% of their sales, never mind 50%, so those are sales that are shifted out of "bookstore sales".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2