• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's Moving Castle Wins at Venice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay saenz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I don´t know about international cinema festivals either, but i think that the festivals outside the U.S. cares more about the story and the artistic contribution of the film than the look or the popularity of it.

I m glad that Howl´s moving castle had the change to participate in this kind of event, even if it didn´t won the golden lion. I think that Miyazaki thinks more about making a good movie than make a popular movie than win prizes everywhere.

About Fahrenheit 911, I love that movie but it´s not the best documentary made by Michael Moore. Anyway i m glad that it won Cannes, because that helped to advertise this important film, and invited a lot of people to go to the cinemas and think over important issues such as the state of the democracy in the US and the injustice of war.

As for Innocence and Howl´s moving castle, I really want to watch them, but i m my poor county, the only anime that get to the big mainstream theatres is Yugi Oh! the movie.

Thats really sad...
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
MorfeoW wrote:
The best movie of the Mostra di Venezia was "Mar adentro" of Alejandro Amenabar, a great movie. It will win many awards in the next future, sure.

Oh! Thanks!! xDDDD...However, I don't expect a lot of it, and the plot neither looks impressive (to me). But anyways, was the second best film.

About the Miyazaki film...Hum, many people say here that should won the Golden Lion. I'm not gonna say "it shouldn't" just because it's anime. It's just that probably, the other films were better. Therefore, that won't be a problem for me to see it when it'll come here.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
...If you hadn't been busy writing a yaoi fanfic, you'd probably be able to think of a better comeback.

GATSU, you need to open up your mind and realise that just because I am female, and I happen to like anime/manga, it does NOT mean I like yaoi, nor do I write fanfiction.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Not Much To Say wrote:
v1cious wrote:
the plot of that movie sounds boring as hell, why it would it get a standing ovation? i hate indie art types

"Indie art types" are the only ones keeping the movies from going to the same toilet as every other media. Do you think Hollywood produces anything of value?

i'm not saying i hate indie film in general, just the lame art school dropouts who worship this stuff.
JustJon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's not going to be in this year's Oscar race because it's not coming to American theatres until next year.
Companies tend to put movies in a couple theatres in large cities, like NYC and LA, to make a movie eligible for Oscar contention when a film is suppoed to be released early in the following year. It wouldn't be surprising to see Disney do this.
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm not sure why she's "great". I mean if she wasn't married to Tom Cruise, she wouldn't even have a career, since her movies have generally been flops and/or disappointments.

What's your problem? Nicole Kidman is a decent enough acctress (not my favorite) and she was in some good movies. "Hours" was a great movie, and so was "Bangkok Hilton", "Eyes Wide Shut" and "Dead Calm". There's just too much unwarranted negativity in your posts.
And by the way, I don't judge movies by their trailers. Sometimes it's a good indicator of how good the movie is going to be but most of the time it's nothing more than a collection of spoilers.
As for indie movies, they're are usually better than Big Studio Hollywood movies. However, it doesn't mean that all indie movies are good. IMHO, by far the best movie of the year so far is the ultra low budget "Before Sunrise".

Finally, "Birth" looks like a very interesting and provacative (in a good way) movie. I saw the trailer and I liked it. I'm definitely looking forward to this one (I'm very open-minded when it comes to movies).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I think Miyazaki's award was for technical contribution or soemthing like that (the translation says "technical contribution").

The Golden Osella is awarded in different categorweis every year, including best director, best actor, etc...

When there's more details available about the award (I was working of minute-old news) I'll post exactly what it was for.

Well, all the other translations on the Internet, including Japan Today, Kyodo News and Variety called it the "OSELLA AWARD FOR TECHNICAL CONTRIBUTION," so I guess we translated it right (and first Smile ).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Kidman's adequate,but she's not noteworthy. Just because she's been in high-profile movies doesn't mean she's the reason people see those movies.
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kidman's adequate,but she's not noteworthy. Just because she's been in high-profile movies doesn't mean she's the reason people see those movies.

Whether your like it or not, in many cases she is the main reason why people see her movies (this isn't true for all people). Britney Spears sucks but people still buy her records.

This is all beside the point. We were talking about Ms. Kidman's acting ability and not her box office appeal. Like I said, I think she's a decent actress who gave a few memorable performances.

Just out of curiousity, can you list some actresses that you do like or think give good performances?

As for "Howl's Moving Castle" winning an award for "Technical Contribution", I think it's the first time anime was recognized for contributing something to the world of cinema from a purely technical standpoint. Cool Wink . However, does anyone think this might have been just an excuse to give some sort of award to this movie? I regret the fact, that unlike other festivals Venice Film Festival doesen't have a "runner-up" cattegory.

P.S. Are you the same GATSU as the one on "Ghost in The Shell 2" boards?
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sydney: Will it even be in competition for the Oscar this year?

Tenchi wrote:
It's not going to be in this year's Oscar race because it's not coming to American theatres until next year.

Well, the Academy Award rules for this year's awards state that the feature needs to be exhibited commercially in a cinema in the Los Angeles County for a minimum of seven days, between 1 January and 31 December of the eligible year.

Furthermore, films eligible for the Best Animated Feature Film category need to have an entry form sent to the Academy by early November and a print of the film by mid November.

So, in Howl's case, an entry form and a print of the film is completed and sent by either Studio Ghibli or Tokuma Shoten/Buena Vista Japan by November, and the Grauman's Chinese Theatre is booked for a special limited run of seven days in December of the Venice Film Festival award winning Howl's Moving Castle (subtitled script written by Steve Alpert.) It's advertised in the LA Times.

During this time (should a contract be signed) actors are cast and a dub script written, and in December/January the dub is recorded and post production is done. The film goes into release late February, just in time for the Academy Awards ceremony.

Ref:

http://www.oscars.org/76academyawards/rules/index.html
(see rules 2, 3 and 15)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
If Disney's actually interested in Howl winning BAF, it would be better for them to keep from releasing it until next year so that it can be eligible to win the year after, because, yes, the two-city scenario had occurred to me, but, even if that was enough to make it technically eligible, it wouldn't be remotely enough time for it to build up the same level of critical momentum that assisted Spirited Away in getting nominated and winning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
the two-city scenario had occurred to me

From what Wids posted, isn't it more of a 1-city scenario?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote
Proman:
Quote:
Just out of curiousity, can you list some actresses that you do like or think give good performances?

They're usually minorities, and not anorexic blondes, but the chick who plays Lana on Smallville(She's part Chinese and part Inuit, not "white".), Thandie Newton, and Salma Hayek for starters.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
mrgazpacho wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
the two-city scenario had occurred to me

From what Wids posted, isn't it more of a 1-city scenario?

Usually it's both New York and L.A., to give the big critics on both coasts a glimpse, and that stategy can work for movies going after the big prize, Best Picture, but it's really too little, too late for movies going after one of the sideshow prizes like Best Animated Feature. Animated movies need more time to build buzz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:05 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
tempest wrote:
I think Miyazaki's award was for technical contribution or soemthing like that (the translation says "technical contribution").

The Golden Osella is awarded in different categorweis every year, including best director, best actor, etc...

When there's more details available about the award (I was working of minute-old news) I'll post exactly what it was for.

Well, all the other translations on the Internet, including Japan Today, Kyodo News and Variety called it the "OSELLA AWARD FOR TECHNICAL CONTRIBUTION," so I guess we translated it right (and first Smile ).

The newspaper says it's "Award for the most relevant individual contribution". However, that's not a translation, it's more an explanaiton of what is that award for. Guess it's "The Osella award for individual technical contribution". That, unless you translated from an official page, were I might think that, as Italian and Spanish are almost the same language (you know, we're neighbours Anime smile), I should be able to translate it Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4