• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Dragonball: Evolution Trailer Officially Posted

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, that was actually decent. I'm glad.

R315r4z0r wrote:

2. Goku not being very confident. He is supposed to be really carefree and live for the challenges of fighting newer and more powerful foes.

I completely agree with that one.

It'll be nice to watch this with my little brothers and some friends when it comes out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Speed Racer captured the feel of that show perfectly. This doesn't seem like it's even attempting to.

Wasn't there already a Dragon Ball movie? It was called Matrix Revolutions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Airforce1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
It may make as much as speed racer if not more. People will be going to remember stuff they saw when they were young. All in All it can't be worse than Dead or Alive.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
I'm shocked. It looked significantly less awful than I expected. Not good, but less awful than expecdted.

THIS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roguespider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
um...I don't watch DBZ or original whatever, and the only memories I recollect are from horrible saturday morning versions, but I do not recall any of them shooting guns in the show. I saw a sword once, but that was about it. I mean, wasn't Bulma just an engineer?

Still, it looks like the battles are much faster than in any of the shows, so that's a plus.

And, uh, where's Vegeta?

This movie is Dragonball, not Dragonball Z. Vegeta isn't in it.

The special effects are pretty good, but there are 3 things I don't like:
1. Dragonballs being made by "Mystics."
2. Goku not being very confident. He is supposed to be really carefree and live for the challenges of fighting newer and more powerful foes.

And one other thing that they mentioned a while back, Mai. In the anime series, Mai was a henchwoman of Emperor pilaf, but here they made her follow Piccolo.

Other than that, it looks pretty interesting...

Ok, I'll agree with the Vegeta issue, he's awesome and should be in it but that's personal opinion.

As for Dragonballs being made by mystics, at this point it might be weird to say that they're made by an alien living on a tower looking over the entire world. If you actually watch DBZ, how many different reasons do they give for the planet Vegeta being destroyed? (Natural meteor shower, meteor shower caused by guardian (King Kai's explanation), and then Freeza destroying it, there may have been more but I forgot). To get a wider audience, they seem to have gone with the Mystics approach. At a later time, they could redo this easily.

As for Mai, she's a henchwoman either way. Throwaway side characters like that don't matter much.

[quote=Kougeru]
goku needs to be asian, sry

and right now, he looks like a tool
[/quote]
I'd call you a purist, but even that wouldn't fit. Goku was named and raised Asian as a person, he's a Sayian.

Fox did what they could and while the trailer doesn't totally inspire me, *sigh* I'll still go watch it.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
That was a good laugh. Isn't there a second and third movie in the making as well?
siken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Pocky Monster wrote:
That was a good laugh. Isn't there a second and third movie in the making as well?

Do you have a source?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I think the movie looks pretty good as far as special effects and all that goes...
As for the story, well I can´t say much yet... But that´s just not DRAGON BALL.

As for the origin of the Dragon Balls, the trailer probably is just screwing with us, maybe its just saying they were created by "mystics" because that´s what people of the "Dragon World" believe...
Who knows?

I will definetly go and watch it, but not expecting to see anything similar to what I expected when watching the DB anime,

Roshi didn´t even seemed pervert at all... Surprised
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Pocky Monster wrote:

Are you serious? You think this movie will make enough money to produce sequels? Laughing Maybe direct-to-dvd. This looks about as lame as Mortal Kombat Armageddon. Of course DBZ is already sorta synonymous with silly crap, so I'm sure some of those fans will think it "freaking awsome, man!" Too bad there's not enough of those left to prevent this movie from completely flopping.

Quote:
It may make as much as speed racer if not more. People will be going to remember stuff they saw when they were young. All in All it can't be worse than Dead or Alive.

Speed Racer has yet to recoup it's budget. Excellent example of how this film will fail!
Kuyukly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

He's a friggin alien. Why does he have to be Asian? Or is this the usual "it wasn't made in Japan so it won't be good" deal?

I personally think it'll be pretty good (or at least entertaining), and forget all the losers acting like they simply "know" exactly how things are "going" to turn out.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
siken wrote:
Pocky Monster wrote:

Do you have a source?

No,actually...just a rumour I heard. Which isn't true at all...I just wanted to see if anyone knew if it was actually true.

Quote:
Are you serious? You think this movie will make enough money to produce sequels? Maybe direct-to-dvd. This looks about as lame as Mortal Kombat Armageddon. Of course DBZ is already sorta synonymous with silly crap, so I'm sure some of those fans will think it "freaking awsome, man!" Too bad there's not enough of those left to prevent this movie from completely flopping.

No,I don't think this movie will be popular at all...it would take a miracle. I'm debating whether or not I should see it for the lulz, but I don't really want to waste my money on this crap.[/quote]

Last edited by Pocky Monster on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Kuyukly wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

He's a friggin alien. Why does he have to be Asian? Or is this the usual "it wasn't made in Japan so it won't be good" deal?

I personally think it'll be pretty good (or at least entertaining), and forget all the losers acting like they simply "know" exactly how things are "going" to turn out.

Umm the trailer looks like crap, the movie will likely suck. Just deal with other people's opinions instead of calling them liars.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda concerned, they've turned Goku into a Heisei Kamen Rider protagonist and that doesn't sit right with me.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Just because it is an Anime doesn't mean that everyone has to be Asian...

I don't even see why the rest of the characters would have to be Asian.

The only time that a character would have to be Asian is if they are specifically of Asian origins in the anime. Such as living in Japan or specifically explaining their nationality.

In Dragonball, there are no national boarders for countries, everything is just different cities and numbered divisions of the earth. They do not once ever mention any countries or nationalities ever in that show. Therefore, there is no grounds to say that ANY character in this movie HAS to be Asian. They can be of any race that meets the character, just as long as they look and act the part.
dngrx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm getting pump for this movie now.

Seems as though Stephen Chow had a little input in this movie afterall! One of the fight scenes where it goes slo-mo seems similar to a couple of scenes in Kung Fu Hustle which uses that same effect. Yea, I know The Matrix coined this particular style in movies, but seeing it utilized gives me a little hope that Stevie was directing those action sequences.

Sure this is a complete revision of DB but it doesn't look as bad as the Street Fighter Movie. Who people have compared it to since the leak of the initial teaser trailer a few months back.

Bring on DB, baby.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14