• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 7 Coolest Quiet Anime Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I would be very surprised if Senjougahara didn't win.

Anywho, I feel that I must say that I really enjoy your column. It is very pleasant, and a relaxing read.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I haven't actually watched any Durarara, but Celty strikes me as a particularly awesome modernisation of an ancient mythological/fantasy character. If she plays a large part in said show, I might have to go watch it.

From what I've seen (up to about episode 10) she plays a fairly large role.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I think Switch from Sket Dance fits the bill of being cool and also quiet. Given that he only speaks from a laptop via voice recognition software.

Celty though is extremely rare exception, as she is quiet, due to the fact she doesn't posses a means of speaking. Which I've always wondered how the helmet she wears is able to stay securely on.

But in asking that question, that also makes me wonder why Meru Otonashi from (Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei) Dad didn't take her to see a shrink and or rehabilitation for her shyness, as apparently, they could easily afford that.

Now that I think about this list, Daikichi Komusubi from Eyeshield 21 would also be a great pick as well. As not only is he fairly quiet, but is very cool as well. He also made up his own language, i.e. "Power-Go," the language of strong men, that only "truly strong men" can understand, which consists mostly of strange grunts and one-word sentences
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That may or may not be a good thing, though, as it turns out her singing voice tends to knock people out...though no one's explained exactly why.

Megumi actually has a really good singing voice. She's just incredibly loud so you have to stand a good distance away in order to appreciate it and remain concious.

Quote:
Chane actually can't speak- although it's not entirely clear why that's the case

Chane asked her father to take away her voice so she wouldn't spill his secrets.

Regarding other silent characters, I have to mention Shion from Shion no Ou. Trauma enduced muteness due to seeing her parents' murder, she also communicates by writing things down. We're privy to her thoughts, though, so she has plenty of dialouge. spoiler[She regains her voice after discovering and confronting her parents' murderer.]
Fendo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the list specially with the top 3, you can't be more Cool and Quiet than thouse 3, but I'd really have liked to see Brandom Heat/Beyond the Grave (from Gungrave) in the count down.
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
The problem with lists is that everyone else always picks differently to what's on the list.

For me, the character that should be on there but isn't is Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Freddie should have been number 1.
Otherwise, I agree.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Yuki from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya wasn't on the list...not that I care for her character.

I voted for Sana because she's a great character, her mile-a-minute rants are awesomely funny, and she raps. Can't beat that. Very Happy
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Freddie and Celty, defiantly
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Zazie is debatable, because in the manga spoiler[she starts talking in one part after the magic world arc, and her sister speaks a lot too]
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Excel all the way! Mitsuishi Kotono is one talented woman. Smile (Excel's first dub voice actress had to be replaced because Excel talked so fast, too.)

I'm also surprised Rei (from Eva) wasn't on the Quiet List.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
(Excel's first dub voice actress had to be replaced because Excel talked so fast, too.)

That's an urban legend. She was replaced for other reasons.

This week's poll was a tossup between Sana and Excel. I don't seem to recall Senjougahara talking all that fast, but perhaps because everyone else seems to be so verbose, it just didn't feel as significant as others. In the end, I cast my vote for Excel since she's just so insane I cannot help but crack a smile when I think about her antics.

A good list of quiet characters. I'm sure if I sat down and thought on it I could come up with some others that I feel are more deserving of a spot, but that's still a good cast of characters. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Freddie on there, since I didn't think many people still remembered Cromartie High School.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Quiet characters! Hello Kitty! Rin! Casca! Or that girl in Katawa Shoujo! Nyu in Elfen Lied? Laughing

Too bad they don't count: Pink Panther, Ferb in P&F, The Little Mermaid, Gromit, Mr. Bean, Mini-Me, and of course Silent Bob!
Optitron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
cl-shojo wrote:
I'm surprised Yuki from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya wasn't on the list...not that I care for her character.

She is quiet most of the time, but once she starts explaining some complicated alien-intelligence mumbo-jumbo it can take a while for her to shut up. Same deal with Rei Ayanami, except she doesn't make speeches as often.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
On the fast-talkers list, I would've liked to see Straight Couger from S-Cry-ed. That guy was always talking a mile-a-minute, and he was pretty darned cool throughout.

Seconded. Straight Cougar was the only character I liked throughout the series, though Scheris and Ryuhou had their moments.

Does Genma in his panda form count as an individual character? If so he would make a good quiet character. Otherwise I've got nothing to add.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
CBongo wrote:
Streaming will be my preferred format as soon as they add the one feature missing from DVD/BD: toggling the audio track on the fly.

Missing from DVD/BD? Are you aware of that little button on your remote labeled "audio"?

I'm pretty sure they meant the feature that's on DVD/BD that streams are missing (if the series is dubbed). Because that's one of the things I prefer about dvd releases myself.

rojse wrote:
The problem with lists is that everyone else always picks differently to what's on the list.

That's not really a problem, as long as the list doesn't have a limit (and people don't squabble too much over the order). We just like to add to them, and I have to say people have made some great suggestions this time. :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4