• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arrietty Earns US$1.7 Million to Rank #9 on Friday

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:
I was wondering what the numbers were after watching it today. There were only around 10 people at the 4:10PM screening, so I'm a bit surprised by the first day earnings.

The first day earnings actually aren't that great for 1500 theatres to be honest. "Passable" is how I would characterize it as an anime fan. "Extremely disappointing" is how I would characterize it as an impartial bean counter. I think 2 million on Friday should have been the benchmark to be considered "good."
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
bravetailor: You're talking about a Ghibli movie which is coasting off of a 60-year Western book series. [Though apparently, the last one was written 30 years ago. Not that I think it makes a difference....] So I guess if you're going to use a similar point of reference, you might as well compare it to Howl Moving Castle's U.S. box office. And it's already poised to do double that number. So that's a pretty good start, considering the original Howl book was written more recently. Should Arrietty have done better? Possibly, but it's the first wide theatrical release of a non-Miyazaki Ghibli movie in the U.S. [I don't count those GKids screenings of Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves, because those are still festival circuit-based.] So it already had one strike against it, but it's already halfway where Ponyo was a few years ago. So that's not a bad start. Also, you have to take into account that it's doing pretty damned well for an anime movie not named Pokemon, Digimon, or YuGiOh.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
In his directorial debut, Yonebayashi re-imagines Mary Norton's 1952 novel The Borrowers by moving the story to a Tokyo suburb.

*bookmarks thread for the next time a Hollywood anime adaption is announced and people say it will be terrible because it's not in the original setting*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
Guess 1500+ screens is a bit too ambitious. Usually when ya open with that many, the expectations are a bit higher. This is a long weekend with President's Day, and many schools have next week off for Winter Break, so if the film's track record doesn't happen next week, I'd expect to lose half those screens.

GATSU wrote:

brave: You have to take into account that Spirited Away was low-profile until the Oscar win. Ponyo, OTOH, probably could've benefited from Miyazaki touring the country, instead of just California.

Dunno if that would had made a difference. Our Ponyo theater experience was 3/4 full of mostly young mothers with their children, and from talking to them, seems they didn't even know it was from Japan - they just knew about it from the Disney magazines and ads. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
Visions: Um, the difference is that it's a fantasy story which could take place anywhere.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
bravetailor: You're talking about a Ghibli movie which is coasting off of a 60-year Western book series. [Though apparently, the last one was written 30 years ago. Not that I think it makes a difference....] So I guess if you're going to use a similar point of reference, you might as well compare it to Howl Moving Castle's U.S. box office. And it's already poised to do double that number. So that's a pretty good start, considering the original Howl book was written more recently. Should Arrietty have done better? Possibly, but it's the first wide theatrical release of a non-Miyazaki Ghibli movie in the U.S. [I don't count those GKids screenings of Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves, because those are still festival circuit-based.] So it already had one strike against it, but it's already halfway where Ponyo was a few years ago. So that's not a bad start. Also, you have to take into account that it's doing pretty damned well for an anime movie not named Pokemon, Digimon, or YuGiOh.

Of course it'll make more money simply on number of theatres alone. Arrietty has about 500+ more theatres over Ponyo, and evn more over Howl's.

The key is how much money PER THEATRE they're making. On average, a "successful" new release should post $2000 per theatre or better on opening day.

Total box office is not the key here. Of course if you open wide enough it will make more money TOTAL, but is it as profitable for every individual theatre? The answer so far is no.

Yes, for an ANIME, it's done well enough. Expectations are so low for anime popularity, it can't help but pass the bar. But by normal movie profits, it's done subpar.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
brave: It's already made its money in Japan, so there's no real risk with it. But it's a good petri dish to see how well it can do here with strong WOM.
shukero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
That is awesome news, and I'm glad that more cinema company's are actually giving Animated Movies a chance in their theaters! WHo knows? Maybe one day some time soon, we'll have national animated movies :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact you can't even get Pocket Monsters into theaters anymore speaks for how low anime is on theater goers priority list. They're all straight to DVD/TV Movies now.

The theater I saw it in had kids crying and people saying "I don't think this is appropriate for kids". I assume the whole "Hey, I might die" thing and I guess divorce/the ending? Oh well
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Disney getting Ghibli films is theaters isn't an actual feat worthy of your surprise.
shukero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I think the fact you can't even get Pocket Monsters into theaters anymore speaks for how low anime is on theater goers priority list. They're all straight to DVD/TV Movies now.

The theater I saw it in had kids crying and people saying "I don't think this is appropriate for kids". I assume the whole "Hey, I might die" thing and I guess divorce/the ending? Oh well

I think that in the beginning pocket monsters was more aimed towards kids, where as these days the movies are more aimed towards the generation that grew up around it. Much like Zac talks about in the most recent manga featured podcast when they are talking about one piece. Originally it was more funny and cartoonish where as now-a-days, its a bit more serious because the fans grew up along with the manga and characters themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Bah, they probably said that when kids cried at Toy Story 2 and 3 as well. Didn't seem to hurt those movies. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
Titan:
Quote:
The theater I saw it in had kids crying and people saying "I don't think this is appropriate for kids".

Yeah, a woman's baby cried behind me during Ponyo. But then they'll go buy up copies of Bambi and The Lion King without realizing the irony. Laughing

Arsenic:
Quote:
Disney getting Ghibli films is theaters isn't an actual feat worthy of your surprise.

Well, they got the money, but I doubt the chains like the idea of having to give up room for a traditionally low grosser.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
This article: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-11/ghibli-arrietty-falls-out-of-top-20-in-4th-weekend-in-u.s links back to an old talkback thread from a few weeks ago (I'm not sure if that's normal or not).

But there is one thing that is obviously wrong and that it the 4rd for the fourth weeks' table.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2