• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Level E Sci-Fi Comedy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Yay! After what seemed like a long drought filled with fanservice licenses, Funi finally picks up something I will actually buy. I can't wait for the DVDs.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I like how license announcements are now just followed by a bunch of vague whiny bitching about how "but this isn't the show I wanted!!" or some weird hangup someone has about the company that licensed it, provided free of reason or context.

Real fun times, you guys.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
I'm quite surprised they picked this series up considering that there are better fish to catch. Come on FUNi, each of these would have been a better catch

Black Jack (2004)
Zettai Karen Children
The Qwaser of Stigmata
Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Moretsu Pirates

I hope Area no Kishi gets a dub...but it's not bloody likely for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Zettai Karen Children
Moretsu Pirates

sentai has both

Did not know that, I hope the former is dubbed and the latter will get dubbed

opn wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

funi said they wont license that. anyway as for level E i didn't really like it would much rather have prefered beelzebub instead but eh guess thats just me.

Drag
opn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
opn wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
I'm quite surprised they picked this series up considering that there are better fish to catch. Come on FUNi, each of these would have been a better catch

Black Jack (2004)
Zettai Karen Children
The Qwaser of Stigmata
Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Moretsu Pirates

I hope Area no Kishi gets a dub...but it's not bloody likely for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Zettai Karen Children
Moretsu Pirates

sentai has both

Did not know that, I hope the former is dubbed and the latter will get dubbed

opn wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

funi said they wont license that. anyway as for level E i didn't really like it would much rather have prefered beelzebub instead but eh guess thats just me.

Drag

zettai is being released in may sub only while pirates will be getting a blu ray and sentai has a policy of blu ray = dub.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I like how license announcements are now just followed by a bunch of vague whiny bitching about how "but this isn't the show I wanted!!" or some weird hangup someone has about the company that licensed it, provided free of reason or context.

Took the words right out of my fingers. This whole fake-hate/animosity people carry with them is really getting old. It's almost getting as bad as those game-console warriors.
xScar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
xScar wrote:

Home entertainment = BD/DVD, right?

I thought so too. Confused Maybe it means something else...? Does anyone know what it means?

I guess it's that although they did get the BD/DVD rights, they simply did not announce a time frame in which they would release it physically (unlike the Basara announcement).
Bastille

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone license Umineko? Just look at Higurashi. Its DVDs sold poorly, which is why the second season was never licensed, and that received a much better adaptation than Umineko. It would be throwing money away.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
regardless of the fanboy-ism, this show is not going to sell well.
reminds me of how some other 'un-named company had to release alot of bad titles to get the good ones from the same publisher.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

What can I say? Brand recognition can be a bitch. When I am in love with a series I want a limited edition with pounds of swag. I don't see Funimation as one of the companies that will give me what I want.
nhat

Really good comedy, weirdly enough made by the same guy who did Yu Yu hakusho.
TopGunman

Bastille wrote:
Why would anyone license Umineko? Just look at Higurashi. Its DVDs sold poorly, which is why the second season was never licensed, and that received a much better adaptation than Umineko. It would be throwing money away.

Yeah, that was an accident, I copy/pasted those titles from myanimelist and it ended up there by mistake.

But still, FUNi did the research, and they figured this one would sell. But we all know that there are better shows they could have gotten, maybe they got Level E at a good price or something.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked the first few episodes. And at about episode 5(?) it turned into a totally different show, and after another episode or two I dropped it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ermat:
Quote:
What's the point of getting a streaming-only license of a catalog show that was streaming on Crunchyroll anyway?

They get paid through the ads and then decide if the audience is there for packaged media.

xScar:
Quote:
Surely you guys can't pass up HxH either!

Yeah, I can, since it goes nowhere. That's why I'm just watching it for free on CR.

TopGunman: No one's going to bring over the recent Black Jack anime, because it's not even that popular on CR.

potato: Disagree. It's from the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho, which still apparently sells well enough for FUNi to rescue the original movie.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I actually find this announcement quite interesting. Haven't decided whether or not I'll go for it, but they took a rather bold chance and I hope they get rewarded for it.

If this does get a physical release, Justin Cook for ADR director, calling it now.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Why does this trash have more comment than the Sengoku Basara announcement? I question the world everyday -_-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5