• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Negima!? Spring & Summer Specials DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Actually, there were some changes in cast. As far as I know, Chao's was the only voice recast for the Japanese version.

For the English dub, There's a new Setsuna, Satomi, Akira, and Madoka. I think that's it.

Quote:
The one question that lingers is why Funimation gave the volume a Negima!? title when both episodes spin directly off of the Negima! TV series.

Well, I see them as something different from both series. But I suppose FUNi made the connection because of SHAFT and Chupacabras? Razz

Last edited by Asrialys on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
Actually the title screen for Summer is definitely a "!?" version whereas the Spring is a "!". Makes sense as Summer is entirely new story whereas Spring is very very loosely based on one chapter of the manga
billborden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Actually, this is the first time that I've ever heard them described as linked to "Mahou Sensei Negima!"; considering that they both were released in the middle of the "Negima!?" run and are by the same studio (Shaft) it's always seemed straightforward that they spun off "Negima!?". The art styling of both definitely harks back to "Negima!?" rather than the more down to earth look of "Mahou Sensei Negima!".
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
While I don't think they really tie in with Negima!?, they certainly fit it's style better than they do Negima!. I mean, personally, i hated Negima! but Negima!? is one of my favorite shows.
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
I agree with Otaku_X; Negima!? was a pretty awesome show, despite how loosely it was connected to the Manga :p

I agree with the review; Despite Negima being my #1 fav. manga, the episodes are almost that of fillers, and have little story in themselves. In a sense, it's almost like a fan homage, which would explain the reason why the entire cast makes an appearance throughout each special. It's something I'd recommend to die hard fans, but I would never show this to someone who hasn't seen negima before. It's there to whet the tastes of fans, and nothing more Smile
Grico

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
I am actually surprised they got as good a review as they did. If you love Negima (which I certaintly do) they are well worth it for the fan service and to see the new designs that will be used in the Negima remake. If you are lukewarm, I don't think they offer much of anything, they are certainly filler from a plot perspective. I personally enjoyed them quite a bit. My understanding was the OAVs don't really fall in either tv series continuity, although the visual style fits with the 2nd series and could perhaps be seen as a preview of it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't know that anyone would try to deny these are fanservice, in multiple ways.

The continuity of the OVAs don't actually match up with any of the other series completely. In the Spring episode, Kazumi can see Sayo, but the other girls can't. This contradicts Xebec's series, because Eva made Sayo visible to everyone at the end of episode 19, and in the manga, no one can see Sayo until the events just before the Mahora festival. The Summer episode has Yue and Nodoka knowledgeable of and using magic, which doesn't match Xebec's series because spoiler[Yue and Nodoka don't learn about magic until the time travel incident, after which everyone who hadn't known about it previously forgot], and it doesn't fit into the manga timeline because, again, Sayo. Sayo is also the reason you can't squeeze it into any particular point of SHAFT's series, either.

All of this is completely trivial, of course.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
While I don't think they really tie in with Negima!?, they certainly fit it's style better than they do Negima!. I mean, personally, i hated Negima! but Negima!? is one of my favorite shows.

Well I liked both of them.the TV versions had even fan service cause if they did it straight from the manga it would've been no better than Ikkitousen. Where the OVA have fan service similar to girls bravo but not over the top. Also the TV version was more into the characters themselves which was a definate plus,though the ending was a little to be desired. But both are fine in my guess. The TV has more into the story of the characters themselves while the OVA is more fanservice to the manga version.What more can you ask for the creator who created this and love hina???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1