• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-12-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Descent123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Descent123 wrote:
then again with three TV series I'm currently watching and tons of DVDs/Laserdisc OVAs next to me I have tons to watch first before the TV series. Razz

What do you have on LD? Been thinking of borrowing or buying my great aunt's LD player, then hunt down some anime LDs for stuff that isn't on DVD or VHS.

Well you have to understand that I'm in the US so I'm talking about the US releases.

I just got into LDs. They are the coolest thing in the world, so cool that I'm buying the LD versions of my favorite movies and selling the DVDs!

Well I just got my first two Anime LDs today for cheap: Wanna-Be's (never release on DVD) and the Project A-Ko movie (for some reason I can only find the OVAs, meh the LD was $6 and it was in widescreen with subs).

There's a good number of LDs that haven't been release on DVD (In the US, I don't import). Robot Carnival is one, Ultimate Teacher is another. Then there was Genesis Surviver Gaiarth, Super Space Fortress Macross: The Movie - English Edition (DYRL, yes it does exist), and I know there was the Lensman movie (pretty average, watch it for the 80s CGI and action parts). There were a few more that I can't remember from the top of my head, then again it's very late as of right now. :p
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Way to go Brain...oh I mean Brian. You certainly provide details to your answers, and one that caught my mind:

Quote:
Except for maybe furries. But let's not go there.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
I've been reading comics since I was four and I found that western comics didn't offer me much. When I found manga, I never looked back. Not to say that one is inferior to the other, but western comics really don't float my boat. Wink
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
This is a nice start to a new Answerman. Keep up the good work!

I'm thinking of sending in my con report about DotCon that happened this November but I'm worried about it being too long and too whiny.
x1onexwo1fx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Freeone3000 would mention Lelouch, considering spoiler[his reactions to certain characters' deaths] as well as spoiler[the ending of R2.] I mean, of course Lelouch would instantly be compared to Light Yagami on the surface, but I think Lelouch has much more humanity than Light, and that just makes him, at the very least, decent. Well, I like him.

I've never laughed so hard on any Answerman article before, AND it was educational. Welcome back, Brian! You're doing a great job already!
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
In the Hey Answerfans! section, one comment that particularily made me scratch my head was the comment that accused Peach Girl of being racist.
I think that this is... a ridiculous claim to make. What one must understand is that every culture has different standards of beauty. For instance, girls in North America are very much concerned with weight and being as skinny as possible. This is offensive, but not on behalf of the girls, rather on behalf of the culutre that pushes such standards on us. An American Momo would have been bemoaning "Oh Im not skinny enough and the guy I like only likes skinny girls!"
It is not a question of race whatsoever. This is Japanese culture we are talking about, not North American. Pale skin is viewed as beautifull where tanned skin is not. For Japanese people. Its not making a statement on what race a person is. Its no more offensive then saying "Oh my hair is brown and he only likes blonds!".
Besides the fact that the whole issue seems a bit funny to us North Americans because in our culture, dark tanned skin is very "in" right now.
That entire letter just struck me as very ignorant, and before you say it --- no, I am not racist. I have a lot of friends of a variety of races. And personally, Im a bit of a xenophile; Im attracted to people of all races, most specifically ones that are not my own. But thats not really the social "norm". Most people are attracted to their own race, and their own races ideals of beauty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Nice job, Brian! I think you're going to make a great new Answerman. I like all the thought and research that goes into your answers. It takes me back to the days of reading quality anime magazines...

I can understand why Lelouch was mentioned in there. He really does have a lot in common with Light Yagami, growing slightly more evil and insane as time goes on. While his personality isn't quite on par with Lights, it's certainly up there.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Sadiyyah, you're missing the point that Momo is a Japanese high school girl. In Japan, pale skin is where it is at. See: geisha and their white painted faces. So being tanned makes her believe, at her age and in her circumstances, that she can't get a date. Not to mention she possesses awkwardly bleached hair which is associated with delinquents. The message isn't "tan/dark skin is ugly" it's "I am a teenage girl that thinks stereotypes are true and therefore no guy will like me because I'm tan". With all her dumb choices and mistakes and wishy-washy decision making, you have to remember that she's in high school and most everyone is like that back then. Momo will grow up and look back and laugh on her young years someday. Er, if she wasn't a manga/anime character. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Great first column Brian! Hey Answerman is in good hands. Looking forward to next week.

On the American Comics vs Manga. I too am one that prefers manga and haven't found much on the American side that interests me as much. That said, I have met some who flat out dislike American comics and I've always found this puzzling because modern manga was born from American comics. But maybe Brian's ideal nerd world will come to fruition... eventually.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
In the Hey Answerfans! section, one comment that particularily made me scratch my head was the comment that accused Peach Girl of being racist.
I think that this is... a ridiculous claim to make. What one must understand is that every culture has different standards of beauty. For instance, girls in North America are very much concerned with weight and being as skinny as possible. This is offensive, but not on behalf of the girls, rather on behalf of the culutre that pushes such standards on us. An American Momo would have been bemoaning "Oh Im not skinny enough and the guy I like only likes skinny girls!"
It is not a question of race whatsoever. This is Japanese culture we are talking about, not North American. Pale skin is viewed as beautifull where tanned skin is not. For Japanese people. Its not making a statement on what race a person is. Its no more offensive then saying "Oh my hair is brown and he only likes blonds!".
Besides the fact that the whole issue seems a bit funny to us North Americans because in our culture, dark tanned skin is very "in" right now.
That entire letter just struck me as very ignorant, and before you say it --- no, I am not racist. I have a lot of friends of a variety of races. And personally, Im a bit of a xenophile; Im attracted to people of all races, most specifically ones that are not my own. But thats not really the social "norm". Most people are attracted to their own race, and their own races ideals of beauty.

I think what the person was trying to get at was Momo wasn't exactly sending a good message, nor was she a role model by any means. While it's true that such standards on beauty are often reflected in western works, many a times when it's so blatantly plastered in a tv show it's done so to stress to america's youth that they should love who they are as they are. Despite the fact I didn't hate Peach Girl as a series, such things such as Momo's obsession with her skin color, and overall wishy-washiness and plain shallow nature did nothing but send a bad message and definitely not to the effect of raising any young Japanese girl's self-esteem.

It's alright to bring to light this artificial cultural standards of beauty, but if you're going to do it in a showed aimed at young girls, at least reveal some sort of positive message that isn't glorifying the stereotype that you have to be this way to be considered pretty or have the guy you like, like you back.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Great job, Brian! I really enjoyed this. Your style is definitely different than Zac's, but it's still really informative and entertaining. (I love imagining the looks on those teenagers' faces when you did that long jump.)

On the subject of western comics: I'm not really opposed to it, I just don't really know where to start on the genre. That being said, one of my favorite web comics, Gunnerkrigg Court, has some anime influence, but I think it's more influenced by western comics. I'm not sure if that counts or not...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
Welcome to answerman. I enjoyed reading your first column!

To respond to the Inuyasha-tachi hate. You're more than welcome to dislike them (I myself, dislike Miroku). That being said, I am getting tired of everyone (Zac included) going on about how the ending must have sucked and not resolved anything without even reading it. Seriously?

spoiler[Both of the lead couples end up married. Not just almost married, but legitimately married. We don't see either wedding, but they're married. Miroku and Sango even have kids, which I was upset about because I didn't think they were near ready to be married directly post-Naraku, but either way, definite resolution.]

I'm not denying the manga drags of course, but... yeah.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
Heh. The question regarding malcontent between comic/manga fans jogged my memory a bit.

At the last convention I attended, the unthinkable occurred ....

*fades into flashback sequence*

While me, BrothersElric, and my brother were waiting in line for autographs from the anime guests, there was this guy who purposely walked past the long line of anime fans several times in order to ensure that everyone saw the repulsive shirt he was wearing. All while a smarmy smile was plastered all over his repugnant face. Sloppily written in magic marker on the back of his t-shirt was the most subtle statement ever: "Manga sucks." If that immature bastard didn't have a death wish, then I don't know what he was doing. Thankfully no melee ensued, although several people, including the three of us, voiced their irritation over his shirt. Some in louder, more hostile ways than others.*

[/flashback]

*Much of this paragraph is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, although the events described within are indeed true. Well ... the basic gist of it anyway. Wink

I used to be into Western comics, but I soon became bored with them upon discovering manga. I still pick up a Western comic once in a blue moon (picked up Watchmen the other day), but usually when I'm in the bookstore, it's manga-related. Oddly enough, I don't like how Western comics are almost always in color. Give me a black and white, "backwards" manga any day. Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
Not one, but TWO knocks against Makoto from School Days? Yikes!

Having been a hormone-fueled teenager a few years back, if hordes of hotties were throwing themselves at my loins, I'd imagine I'd have indulged as well. Yes, he's a rotten person for doing so, but I don't think it makes him a bad character. His characterization as a womanizer is well done, and IMO should exclude him from the discussion.

Bad and irritating characters are one-dimensional idiots like Hikaru from Kimagure Orange Road, that green-haired chick in Da Capo or Love Hina's Keitarou, all of whom make me want to jab an ice pick into my temple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dalbkino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
Great job Brian! I loved the part where you jumped over manga cows! Very Happy

And now to run off to find a good pic of my kitties!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8