• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-12-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:06 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
It's alright to bring to light this artificial cultural standards of beauty, but if you're going to do it in a showed aimed at young girls, at least reveal some sort of positive message that isn't glorifying the stereotype that you have to be this way to be considered pretty or have the guy you like, like you back.

But that's what Peach Girl does, isn't it? At the beginning Momo is insecure about her skin and hair color, not only because of the Japanese ideal of beauty, but also because she specifically heard (by Sae, wasn't it? that little b**** Wink ) that the guy she likes does not like dark skinned girls.

Later she learns that this isn't true and she just accepts herself the way she is ... didn't she? I don't remember her skin/hair color being an issue in the series later on.

On the other hand:

Quote:
She's upset that no one ever sees through Sae's schemes against her, and is thankful that Kairi does. But only thankful enough to fall for the same schemes that Ryo pulls on Kairi. You would think from experience she'd be able to spot these tricks. Kairi could. But no, she believes Ryo.

That is completely true and I was very disappointed at how the author decided to turn Momo in such an idiot, only to get more draaaama -_-
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
Well I just got my first two Anime LDs today for cheap: Wanna-Be's (never release on DVD) and the Project A-Ko movie (for some reason I can only find the OVAs, meh the LD was $6 and it was in widescreen with subs).

IIRC, Project A-ko was actually animated in 4:3 since the original plan was to make it an OVA, but then it got bumped into a theatrical release, so they just cropped the top and bottom to get widescreen. The U.S. DVD is showing the whole picture; at first the guys at USMC weren't sure they could find the un-cropped master.

Used to see the LD in a local video shop. Had the VRB sticker and everything for rental.

Quote:
Then there was Genesis Surviver Gaiarth, Super Space Fortress Macross: The Movie - English Edition (DYRL, yes it does exist), and I know there was the Lensman movie (pretty average, watch it for the 80s CGI and action parts).

Is the Macross LD dubbed? I've only seen the movie with a Hong Kong English dub.

I vaguely recall seeing Lensman on TV in the eighties, back when anime was lumped in with all the other cartoons. My uncle had a toy importing business back then, and he had some of the Lensman toys at the time.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
I only read The Click once, because I don't get American TV, so I didn't know what to expect.
However, I think Brain (Wink) did a really good job on his first column - I especially liked the text for his cat Very Happy

Edit: I will be getting Macross: DYRL for Christmas, imported from the UK. It's a VHS and I think the quality will be horrible, but I'm really pumped to see it!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Still, nerd-on-nerd hate must end. Except against furries.

Truer words were never spoken.

I think part of the problem is that we tend to look at our own fandom in the best possible light while viewing others in the worst. For example a manga fan might picture most star trek fans as people in their 30s who still live with their mother and dress up as Spock on a weekly basis. They however will ignore the manga fans who are full on in love with Haruhi and sleep on sheets with a life size picture of her, and instead picture most manga fans as being relatively normal individuals.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
Good Hey Answerman. I like Brian's style.

One thing I've always been curious about is why people are so defensive towards region coding when it actually violates the principles of a free market system. The very idea that I can only get a product from one person seems ludicrous. Some competition might force anime companies to better their products which would be good for us all.
dirge_without_music

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When you realize that many parts of Europe still regularly show anime on television

I'm also English and was devastated when the one channel I knew of that showed anime stopped airing. If there are others then I am not aware of them and I think it's really unfair that you Americans can watch anime online when we can't!
CG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
Brian is, should I say, nicer than Zac. He sounds very polite when he replies to questions. That's why I'm kinda looking forward to how he's gonna reply to a flake. he also has a very wide vocabulary compared to Zac, and you can sense that he is an intellectual person by the way he writes. (I'm not saying that Zac isn't intellectual, of course.)
Those comments about Naruto are enlightening, by the way.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
dirge_without_music wrote:
Quote:
When you realize that many parts of Europe still regularly show anime on television

I'm also English and was devastated when the one channel I knew of that showed anime stopped airing. If there are others then I am not aware of them and I think it's really unfair that you Americans can watch anime online when we can't!

You can.

Joost have a reasonable selection of anime from GONG & Funimation available to UK users.

Right now there is:

Basilisk
Black Blood Brothers
Cosmo Warrior Zero
Gun Frontier
Ikki Tousen
Izumo
Saiyuki
Shikabane Hime
The Slayers

Like the importance of getting TV rights in the late 90s/early 00s the winners in this new war are going to be the ones who have the most international streaming rights.
Descent123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
IIRC, Project A-ko was actually animated in 4:3 since the original plan was to make it an OVA, but then it got bumped into a theatrical release, so they just cropped the top and bottom to get widescreen. The U.S. DVD is showing the whole picture; at first the guys at USMC weren't sure they could find the un-cropped master.

Used to see the LD in a local video shop. Had the VRB sticker and everything for rental.

Didn't know it was originally 4:3. Then again when watching it in widescreen I couldn't tell it was 4:3 in the first place. Laughing

Quote:
Is the Macross LD dubbed? I've only seen the movie with a Hong Kong English dub.

I vaguely recall seeing Lensman on TV in the eighties, back when anime was lumped in with all the other cartoons. My uncle had a toy importing business back then, and he had some of the Lensman toys at the time.

I meant the HK English dub for DYRL.

I need to see a few episodes of the TV series, then again I would complain that the movie has better animation. Laughing
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
I've been reading comics since I was four and I found that western comics didn't offer me much. When I found manga, I never looked back. Not to say that one is inferior to the other, but western comics really don't float my boat. Wink

I'm sort of a "crossover geek", if you will. Not only am I a huge anime fan (and some manga), I have been in love with American superheroes for most of my life. Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, X Men, et al. Anyone who waters them down to "musclebound western super dudez" is missing out on a LOT, and obviously hasn't read an American comic in the last 15 years. Sure, there's been some low points and some shallow story arcs, but seriously, that plagues anime and manga just as much.

I agree with Brian, there's no reason to diss on your fellow geeks/nerds/whatever the crap you wanna call yourself. Not that FeralKat was doing that, but just in general. Smile
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
I was hoping we could make it through the questions without someone mentioning Shinji, but alas....

And of course, since it apparently still needs to be repeated, Naruto stopped saying "believe it" after episode 25 or so. And not strong-willed? Err, he's kinda the opposite. If anything, he doesn't know when to give up!

And I agree with Brian, generally it seems anime/manga fans are more open to western comics than vice versa. But most of the western comic fans I know don't have a problem with anime/manga.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

Didn't know it was originally 4:3. Then again when watching it in widescreen I couldn't tell it was 4:3 in the first place. Laughing

Huh, neither did I. I knew that it was originally meant for television/OAV (Thanks, Cream Lemon!) and was scaled up, but I always figured that as the production was scaled up, that the film stock was scaled up as well.

Descent123 wrote:
Quote:

I meant the HK English dub for DYRL.

I need to see a few episodes of the TV series, then again I would complain that the movie has better animation. Laughing[/quote]

Ha ha! I didn't know that was released on LD! I've got some VHS clips of it floating about; was the HK dub the one that was used for English instructions or was it the dub used on JAL flights to Japan? For some reason, I can't keep them straight.

As a further aside, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one experiencing LaserDisc resurgence. Typically I'm looking for copies of stuff that wasn't released in the States or DVDs that have gone out of print and the used DVDs are far too much money (in my opinion, anyway). Of course, the used LD market also seems to be jumping back in price, too. I'm still not sure I want to spend $300 bucks without shipping on Aura Battler Dunbine, but I might end up having to.

I think it goes without saying that I think LDs are fantastic.

Back to the actual column topic...

Great show for the first time around, Brian!

@Western Comics - I read them back when I was younger and despite having friends who are really into American and Japanese comics, I just don't see anything in them that interests me. I recognize them as a part of my youth and without going to comic book shows, I wouldn't have gotten into anime when I did. I think if there's any American book I'd read, it'd probably be Deadpool, just because he's a few burritos short of a combo plate.

As far as THE HATE that goes on from the other side, manga fans to comic fans, I think it's partially a fan culture thing that gets ingrained into new fans despite the circumstances not being the same anymore and the rose-tinted glasses that most newer fans have thinking that all manga are inherently superior, just as one sees the same hate concerning Japanese and American cartoons.

Personally, I don't care if someone is a manga-only fan or a comic-only fan or both. Where I will take sides is a specific venue - there was a flap after Anime Weekend Atlanta this year because there was a minority of us complaining about people who cosplayed non-anime/manga characters, particularly a handful of people from The Dark Knight. A bunch of people came to TDK cosplayer's defenses talking about the cross-over between comic and manga fans. To me, it's about the type of venue and that anime conventions shouldn't be Meganerdacon. If people want Meganerdacon, then they should run one.

And while I admire Brian's desire for a world free of Nerd-On-Nerd Hate, I'm a lot less optimistic about it because Nerd-On-Nerd Hate is almost intrinsic to nerd culture itself and it always had been. Back in the early science fiction convention days, Star Trek fans were outcasts because it was a TV show and not a book. Anime fans had been ostracized for watching cartoons in a language that, usually, no one else in the room understood. Even now, the irreconcilable differences that break up computer nerds - what platform is best, what languages are the best, etc - it's something that's always going to be there. Sure, there's a lot of Internet Memes we might bond over for a moment but the underlying hatred will eventually surface again.

@MangaCows: I look forward to more of your stories as you seem to work in the pastures where they graze.

MangaCows are damn annoying. What's worse is that people who defend their actions - "the stores are designed for you to read books in them!" don't realize what the problem is, or at least, my problem. Sure, there are some that are just leeches and treat the bookshop as a library but to me, it's not about that. It's about the people who sit on the floors in the manga sections, sprawled out with stacks of books and just generally being in the way. Never have I seen people in any other section do this. Even in that other sanctum of nerd-dom, the Science Fiction and Fantasy section, I've never seen anyone more than flipping through a book or two. Personally, I'd like to see bookshop staff just remove people who are sitting in the sections and not in the chairs but I'm afraid that'd just add more to their plates and really not improve things.

Maybe they could just do what my Japanese bookstores do - shrink wrap the new stuff and have signs everywhere that say "Yomidachi is prohibited!". Laughing

Great job this week and I'm looking forward to next!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
I actually think that manga fans are less open to comics. Many of us started with western comics and moved from that to manga, because manga had a certain something to it that we weren't getting in western comics. I think the biggest difference is that manga tends to keep the same writer and artist for its entire run, whereas comics are notorious for switching out writers and artists, often on a month by month basis. With that, you inevitably get a very wide range of quality.

The thing that drew me away from western comics to manga was the story element. Mangas end; comics keep going until they are cancelled. There are exceptions on both sides of the table, but the fact that manga stories have a beginning, middle, and end really attracts me to them in a way that superhero comics never will. That being said, I think the American graphic novel medium has some real gems, and in the past years, I have really started getting back into them. Think of it as cross-pollination.

I would never attack a fellow nerd though. You'd think that our entertainment choices would breed tolerance, but, as is so often the case, it's often two things that are alike that cause the most friction.

Last edited by BleuVII on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So, I stepped back a bit, and with all my former Middle School track team skills, dashed and long-jumped over a row of a half-dozen stunned and bewildered teenagers. And did so again on my way back, with the nice old lady's hardcover copy of an Isabel Allende book. The lady got her book, started bursting up in laughter, while the kids glared at me and muttered "...uh..." before packing up their things and leaving, all the while I'm smiling with an immensely snarky grin on my face. (WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT AT HOME. LEAVE LONG-JUMPING OVER TEENAGERS TO PROFESSIONAL BOOKSTORE EMPLOYEES AND INTERNET COLUMNISTS ONLY.)

I think I died laughing. Mental image was hilarious Smile [/code]
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Sure, there's a lot of Internet Memes we might bond over for a moment but the underlying hatred will eventually surface again.

I wouldn't consider memes to be a meeting point at all. A lot of nerds (and when I say 'a lot', I obviously mean to refer to myself) hate memes.

So there's no safe-ground. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8