• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-12-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
FoxTheAlchemist wrote:
I've got to be the only 22-year old that doesn't know html...so here goes. Sorry I can't put names with the quotes (How do you do that?).

As rockman_nes said, you add the name to the opening quote tag. It's not HTML, though, it's BBCode, a simplified set of tags created for use in forum posts. Actual HTML is rather more versatile.

FoxTheAlchemist wrote:
Take for example, how I as a black person am offended by Momo not liking her skin color. To me, it seems like a racist concept but I doubt that it was one to the creator. I might be reading too much into it, but when anime has so few dark-skinned characters as it is, I'm bothered by Momo.

You are, of course, entitled to your own viewpoints (so long as you don't try to jam them down our throats by insisting that we adhere to your misconceptions). However, let me remind you that "sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar". You are, in my opinion, indulging in overinterpretation.

FoxTheAlchemist wrote:
Quote:
she was given the tan skin to be misunderstood. that's all. it's not always about race. you can try to find an undertone of racism in everthing you see, but i think you'll enoy it a lot more if you just take it for what it is instead of overanalyzing everything.

Race is very closely associated with skin tone, and society often guesses one by the other. The same prejudice that Momo faces is the same prejudice other minorities face. If I take it for what it is, it's still Momo trying to conform to an image she can't despite the fact that she shouldn't have to. It reminds me of the "tragic mulatto" stereotype in early American films.

You appear to be caught in a loop. It reminds me of the expression, "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" -- or, to paraphrase, "When the only paradigm you have is to see everything in terms of race, then everything becomes racist."

FoxTheAlchemist wrote:
Yep. I agree. If the Japanese have a standard as to what a Japanese person should look like, and judge people based on not looking like that, that's a racist view, intentional or not. The majority is deciding what the race should look like by being virtue of the majority.

Nobody is denying the racist nature of the Japanese worldview, nor is anyone saying that the Japanese do not view some foreign races as inferior to others (all the while considering them all inferior to Japanese). The point is that you are reading a racist subtext into a situation where it has no relevance.

Frankly, it's doing you no good -- it's only making you look touchy and thin-skinned... and silly.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
I tried, I really did.. But it just isn't for me. Haruhi (to me) is just a completely unlikeable, obnoxious lead. Yuki is Rei clone #4056, and Mikuru's JP VA could destroy a window with her voice alone (did I also she's mention really, really annoying?)

Yeah, this show isn't my cup of tea... Confused

I agree, Haruhi is stupid, I disliked her a lot, but I still was able to laugh about her and about Kyon's sarcastic comments ^^ Yuki is not a Rei clone, she's a Rei parody Wink in episode 3? 4? when Kyon meets with Yuki at her house, that's completely taken out of Evangelion, with many references. While Mikuru is a parody of all those moe/fanservice characters in recent anime, since Haruhi even says so "I only got her for the moe/big breats". And if you dislike Mikuru, you can just laugh at her when Haruhi tortures her Anime hyper

Humor always is a matter of taste, so of course not everybody can laugh about this series ... but just wanted to clear this up ^^; If you don't like this Haruhi, there's still another one who is really funny (and likeable) as well.
motaku96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
I tried, I really did.. But it just isn't for me. Haruhi (to me) is just a completely unlikeable, obnoxious lead. Yuki is Rei clone #4056, and Mikuru's JP VA could destroy a window with her voice alone (did I also she's mention really, really annoying?)

Yeah, this show isn't my cup of tea...

understandable opinion. guess she can't win 'em all(by she i'm referring to Haruhi). *sigh* and here i thought i might have gotten her another fan. well enjoy whatever else you're watching.

maaya wrote:
If you don't like this Haruhi, there's still another one who is really funny (and likeable) as well.

i thought you might be talking about her. i haven't watched ouran yet but i think i will over the christmas break.
boogiecat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
boogiecat wrote:
Actually those guys at Telesuccess Productions are said to be one of the new dubbing group that Animax Asia will hire for thier english dubbing projects,maybe the Animax Asia hired these guys because of thier previous experience in dubbing animes in english(remember the local english dubbed versions of Rayearth,Bubblegum Crisis 2040,Fushigi Yuugi,To Heart,etc..).

Never did get those direct-to-video local English dubs (VHS and then VCD). Not enough info at the time (I assumed they licensed the U.S. dubs), and we already gave up on renting videos after getting cable TV. Other than Ragnarok the Animation, I don't think any Tagalog dub has gotten a video release. Guess the local companies are afraid of rampant piracy, so stick to TV, or maybe they only have broadcast rights.

I'm planning to buy the two Corrector Yui DVDs at a shop in Greenhills (only 500 pesos each, since they got old stock from C.A.T.S. after it closed; best deal for R1 anime DVDs here) so I can try and ID the voice actors other than Charmaine Cordoviz, since the dub was by TSP. Don't think Viz ever finished the series. Good thing I already watched the whole show on Hero TV.

Actually they've dubbed several animes in english(the same ones aired in GMA 7 in the late 90's but in english this time) and those animes were distributed locally by Magnavision,i think only Rayearth and To Heart are the best sellers in that lineup... Laughing Thier last project after that was Corrector Yui and Great Dangaioh for Viz US.

BTW now that Animax hired them i hope they'll perform well just like what they're doing in thier locally dubbed programs and i hope Animax will let those guys at TSP dubs more new animes for them cause in the end they will from it....
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I can understand, if not agree with, region locking the newer streams. But the real problem with current international licensing rights surfaces when a show simply never makes it to a given region, for whatever reason but usually because the show is too old or that regional market isn't profitable, and yet its digital distribution, free or otherwise, continues to be limited. In those cases there's really no point. Granted, this may gradually change, but until then...it's just a gigantic waste of time for everyone involved.

I never really found Lelouch to be that annoying. He does have his obnoxious moments, which tend to turn out poorly for him one way or another, but he is also far more human and thus more likeable than Light ever was. Not to mention far more willing to face up to the consequences of his actions, in spite of his usual hypocrisy. If anything, Lelouch has a lot more in common with Reinhard from LOGH, when you think about it, setting aside the nature or overall quality of their respective shows.

Makoto, on the other hand, is pretty much completely hopeless in any way, shape or form.
FoxTheAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Thanks rockman_nes and abunai!

abunai wrote:
You are, of course, entitled to your own viewpoints (so long as you don't try to jam them down our throats by insisting that we adhere to your misconceptions). However, let me remind you that "sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar". You are, in my opinion, indulging in overinterpretation.

I don't insist you adhere. I never insisted anyone adhered. I just wanted to clarify why I was offended by Momo and I wanted to see what others thought. I see you think I attached too much meaning to this topic.

I think a cigar is rarely just a cigar; people attach meaning to things. Some people just love cigars. Some people smoke them despite the health risks associated with smoking. Some people would rather avoid cigars. Some people hate cigars and try to prevent others from smoking them. There are different attachments toward cigars; they mean different things to different people.

abunai wrote:
You appear to be caught in a loop. It reminds me of the expression, "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" -- or, to paraphrase, "When the only paradigm you have is to see everything in terms of race, then everything becomes racist."

That idea is probably true. I've been black my whole life so it does shape my viewpoints. Identity shapes views. I believe the reverse is also true: when you don't see things in terms of race, then nothing becomes racist.

abunai wrote:
Nobody is denying the racist nature of the Japanese worldview, nor is anyone saying that the Japanese do not view some foreign races as inferior to others (all the while considering them all inferior to Japanese). The point is that you are reading a racist subtext into a situation where it has no relevance.

Frankly, it's doing you no good -- it's only making you look touchy and thin-skinned... and silly.

Peach Girl is an anime and manga series created by someone that lives in this society. It's possible for someone to participate in racist ideas without himself or herself being racist. I wanted to see what ideas were "normal" in Japanese society because those ideas are often unnoticed and unquestioned by societal participants. In Peach Girl, there's a case of Momo not looking like a typical Japanese person and being judged because of it. With ganguro, they alter their appearance in rebellion to what their society believes they should look like. Racial homogeneity as a "normal" comes into play in both cases, and being judged based on not looking like a certain race is racism. Therefore, I do think race and racism has a relevance in this context, even if it wasn't what the author intended.

Using the words "touchy," "thin-skinned," and "silly" are a bit much. The bottom line I was offended for the reasons I mentioned, and you weren't offended. The way I think and the way you think are different, but both are valid. I've read carefully all the responses so I can think critically about the issue. I'd rather not be dismissive. I don't believe there are any right or wrong answers here, just perceptions. If you want to call my perception silly, then go ahead. I wouldn't call you silly though, and it's not because I think you're right; it's because I value your opinion. If I did call you silly, it would be relative to how closely your opinion agrees with mine.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
The Japanese don't associate tan with race, but with social classes. It's still associated with the working class, farms, heavy labor. To be light skinned was, and to some extend still is, a sign of wealth. A bit strange really, since it's now the other way around. It's the people with money who go tanning. Looking cheap isn't cheap.

Europeans used to think the same about tans, but then the haves discovered vacations to farawar islands and all that, and the image changed over time.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Quote:
Over the past couple of years I've been a part of both Western comic and anime/manga fandom. I've noticed, however, that while comic fans seem generally accepting of anime/manga (having sections for it in magazines, at forums, etc), anime fandom does not seem so accepting of Western comics. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but while most comic fans I have encountered seem to express an interest in both mediums (or have at least tried both), I've noticed many anime fans declaring their dislike of Western comics and their 'musclebound superheroes' (there's more than that, guys!), and quite a few say that they have never even tried comics, but dislike them anyway. Do you have any ideas as to why this may be? Am I simply hanging out in all the wrong places?

These kind of people are missing out on a lot of great stuff, "Preacher" ,Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" ,"Trasmetropolitian" "Queen and Country", "The Walking Dead" and of course Jeff Smith's "Bone" and the classic "Watchmen"

You forget Fables, Y the Last Man, 100 Bullets, Ex Machina and Mouse Guard.

So Brian is a fan of Ayn Rand huh? I though I might be the only one here. Well, I guess Mohawk might be, but he would be my only guess.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
New and Improved Answerman wrote:
Aside from the obvious answer, which is that we're America and we're the best and do whatever we want, so just sit there with your Earl Grey and your Manchester United jersey and your disgusting toffee cake while weeping openly, the answer is thus.

This, made me LOL so hard. Thanks brian, for making my week.

Also, excellent start out and I think I'm going to really enjoy reading Answerman in the coming weeks and months.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
FoxTheAlchemist wrote:

Peach Girl is an anime and manga series created by someone that lives in this society. It's possible for someone to participate in racist ideas without himself or herself being racist. I wanted to see what ideas were "normal" in Japanese society because those ideas are often unnoticed and unquestioned by societal participants. In Peach Girl, there's a case of Momo not looking like a typical Japanese person and being judged because of it. With ganguro, they alter their appearance in rebellion to what their society believes they should look like. Racial homogeneity as a "normal" comes into play in both cases, and being judged based on not looking like a certain race is racism. Therefore, I do think race and racism has a relevance in this context, even if it wasn't what the author intended.

If I remember right though, in Peach Girl, the reason why Momo disliked her tanned hair and light skin is because people looked at her and figured she was following the ganguro fashion, and was therefore a wild child who slept around with different guys, despite the fact that she wasn't like that at all. They weren't judging her for not looking 'Japanese' enough, but simply because it appeared that she was following a certain fashion trend, that had negative implications attached to it.
I think it would be like if someone was naturally very light skinned, and had dark hair, and people just automatically labelled them as a goth and thought that they were all doom and gloom, even if that person actually had a very cheerful disposition.
You're totally entitled to your opinion on it, but it is a bit hard to not think that you're reading into a bit too much. For most people, the story was simply about a girl who did not fit into the standard norm of beauty, and wanted to change herself so that she could fit into that standard. Honestly, I think it's something a lot of girls can relate to, because many of girls feel like Momo - that they just don't fit in, and wish that they could change their appearance to fit the norm. For me, there was nothing racial about it.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

Lastly SalarymanJoe
Quote:
Okay, so they don't look "traditionally Japanese" but I think the ganguro contrast is pretty evident and the story and setting sounds very contemporary Japanese.

Do you not think the fact that everyone in that show doesn't look asian (like all anime) and the dark skinned one is the pariah a bit off. Am I understanding your point to be the fact that anime characters frequently look like ganguro's from say Europe but no where else is not racial. I will have to disagree with that one.

I must say I like how everyones all civil on ANN. Do we rock or what.

I don't think that's the point, and it certainly wasn't my intention. I was speaking directly about Peach Girl and only Peach Girl. It was not my intention to speak about other series with a broader brush.

Personally, I think that each series needs to be dealt with as a case by case. Certainly, there are cases where Japanese will use cases of stereotyping that can certainly be considered offensive (G Gundam, for one) while others, there could be a case of it (like maybe Kaolla Su from Love Hina); I just think that in Peach Girl's case, trying to turn it into a race issue is grasping for straws. The only stereotypes it uses are that ganguros have darker skin, bleached hair and loose morals.

And yes, the civility in ANN's forums is fantastic.

Also, to FoxTheAlchemist, I think I understand how you reached your conclusion a bit better now. I still think you are grasping for straws given the series in question but I think I understand more where you're arriving at that conclusion.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Just for reference... this is a ganguro girl:

To me, it looks like the poor girl collided frontally with a makeup truck filled with self-tanning lotion and pink lip gloss and mascara. She looks like a raccoon on psychotropic drugs.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
She actually looks like she just escaped from the circus. I question how anyone (inside the Anime) could have confused Momo with a girl like this one.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
she was more confused with "kogal", something like this:

This looks quite a lot like Momo to me.

Btw, Peach Girl is already a bit older now (started almost 10 years ago) and nowadays dyeing your hair is pretty normal and these prejudices have disappeared quite a bit (depends on the person of course).
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
she was more confused with "kogal", something like this:

Oh, I see. Thanks for setting me straight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8