• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Apple Approves Counterfeit Pokémon iPhone/iPad App

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
I saw this last night. I was surprised that it was listed for so cheap and that it was in color. Then I saw that it was not licences by Nintendo in any way. So I really have no idea how people thought this was the original game at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Saw this up on Destructoid a little while ago. Supposedly the app is a piece of utter shite, not even properly emulating the original. Seriously, how can you freaking fail at emulating a GB game on an iPhone?!
bradc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Seriously, how can you freaking fail at emulating a GB game on an iPhone?!

Smartphones and iPhones aren't design for serious gaming. Leave it to the PC and consoles systems.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Saw this up on Destructoid a little while ago. Supposedly the app is a piece of utter shite, not even properly emulating the original. Seriously, how can you freaking fail at emulating a GB game on an iPhone?!

I have speculation that the app was intended never to work in the first place. It was to make a fast cash grab. Then again how anyone would be able to get away with this i really have no idea.

For one Nintendo has the rights to Pokemon and all it's games. What surprises me more is Apple actually approved something that was not licensed by Nintendo and does not even work. Two major flaws that for the "standard" that apple has.

Then again there are many pirated copies of manga out in the app store that have been up for years and none of the right holders see any of that money at all, but to see something so clearly not legal and broken get through is interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, and I heard Apple watched its app store like a hawk regarding new apps. Hahahah, what a joke.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Smartphones and iPhones aren't design for serious gaming. Leave it to the PC and consoles systems.
Smartphones these days are plenty powerful enough to emulate the original Gameboy(which is nearly 22 years old).
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have speculation that the app was intended never to work in the first place. It was to make a fast cash grab. Then again how anyone would be able to get away with this i really have no idea.

It really tells me that 1) Apple doesn't really screen the apps like they say they do. 2) Many customers don't really check who makes the games or anything and just downloads without a second thought.

I'm surprised this haven't happened more often. Such an easy scam.
Aara123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

I don't think it was meant to. I think he just wanted people's money.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, it certainly wouldn't be the most illegal thing Apple has ever turned a blind eye to *coughConditionsOfChineseWorkerscough*.

Also, the screenshots are from the Gameboy Advance games Pokémon FireRed Version and Pokémon LeafGreen Version (remakes of the original Red and Green which were released in 2004), in case anyone was wondering.
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
the app store is full of unauthorized manga apps [in English] as well. it's kind of outrageous really, if you think how much they pick on the official ones.
Tigercml

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Well, it certainly wouldn't be the most illegal thing Apple has ever turned a blind eye to *coughConditionsOfChineseWorkerscough*.

My thoughts exactly. Just look at the way they treat there slaves....I mean "employees". The slaves in Apples factory in China work up to 35 hour shifts with no breaks not even to eat. People have died from being overworked. The factory in China has a net attached to it to try to catch people who jump off and try to kill themselves. Apple also forces children to work in the factory.

Taking all this into consideration, it's no surprise that Apple could care less about copyright infringement. If human lives mean nothing to them then surely a couple fines wouldn't matter either. Those fines are miniscule compared to the amount of money they have made and saved by using slaves. Its just petty cash to them.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
And yet, there are rights activists who prefer to buy iPhones because Apple is actually doing a better job than its competitors.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

For one Nintendo has the rights to Pokemon and all it's games. What surprises me more is Apple actually approved something that was not licensed by Nintendo and does not even work. Two major flaws that for the "standard" that apple has.

That is the bit I don't get. Apple is fairly notorious for the extended time it takes for app approval. And yet I have seen lots of these sort of unlicensed apps. This one doesn't even work. It makes you wonder whether Apple is looking at the apps at all, or just letting them sit for ages to make them seem like they do something. Wink
Tigercml

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
And yet, there are rights activists who prefer to buy iPhones because Apple is actually doing a better job than its competitors.

Those people "claim" to be rights activists. They just want the title. It looks good on a resume.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Tigercml wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Just look at the way they treat there slaves....I mean "employees". The slaves in Apples factory in China work up to 35 hour shifts with no breaks not even to eat. People have died from being overworked. The factory in China has a net attached to it to try to catch people who jump off and try to kill themselves. Apple also forces children to work in the factory.

Taking all this into consideration, it's no surprise that Apple could care less about copyright infringement. If human lives mean nothing to them then surely a couple fines wouldn't matter either. Those fines are miniscule compared to the amount of money they have made and saved by using slaves. Its just petty cash to them.

Foxconn's customers:

* Acer Inc.
* Amazon.com
* Apple Inc.
* ASRock
* Asus
* Barnes & Noble
* Cisco
* Dell
* EVGA Corporation
* Gateway
* Hewlett-Packard
* Intel
* IBM
* Lenovo
* Microsoft
* MSI
* Motorola
* Netgear
* Nintendo
* Nokia
* Panasonic
* Samsung
* Sharp
* Sony
* Sony Ericsson
* Toshiba
* Vizio

Out of all of them, conditions at Apple's iPad facility are stated to be among the best.

I hope you get just as riled up about your slave labor Playstations, 3DSes, Wiis, Android phones, tablets, Kindles, and laptop computers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2