• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Highlights and Skylights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:27 am Reply with quote
I just didn't like Saikano-at least from the screener I saw-cus I wasn't sure if the Chise was mentally retarded.(She'd have to be to fall for an ass like Shuji.) Oh well. I can't wait for some good old fashioned leave-your-brain-at-the-door comedy like Midori no Hibi. If I want teen melodrama, I'll watch the WB.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:15 am Reply with quote
heh I guess this volume of Saikano has ep 9 huh. Im cant wait to see my friends reactions to it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:36 am Reply with quote
Saikano pretty much demands that you take it seriously which is why only a select few anime fans are really going to love it. Chise isn't sexualized in the slightest - the camera does not fetishize her - so the pedo accusations don't really work here. Look at a show like Popotan or Sister Princess; THAT is Lolicom.
Watching this show with a group of people is guaranteed to ruin it for you, especially if you're with people trying to be 'funny'.

I loved Saikano the first time through. Rarely does anime deal with heavy themes like that in such a manner so that they don't lose their impact. On the other hand, I tried to watch it again and just couldn't bear to sit through it one more time. Once was enough, I think.
ParukeruBuraian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, glad to see a spirited discussion of one of the more nondescript (at least, outside of the online anime world) titles out this year, Saikano.

When the first two volumes of the series were already out in the stores, I had no idea that Saikano even existed. That changed when I went out and picked up Rahxephon: Pluralitas Concentio, a direct result of the titles being nearly-juxtaposed in alphabetical order at Best Buy.

Seriously; when you look at a cover like the one chosen for the front of the first volume, regardless of any misgivings you have about the apparent size/age of Shuji and Chise, it's very hard to not at least pick up the box and give the back a once-over for further info.

So I did so, put it back, went across the store to get in line, and then got out of the busy line to pick up Saikano, a total impulse-buy. I don't regret it.

After spending time in Japan this past summer, seeing the very natural environment presented in the series made me ache to go back overseas. The background visuals of the series, without a doubt, are excellent.

The characters, I'll admit, don't have flawless design; it's a good thing spoiler[that most of Shuji's friends are taken out of the picture early] because some of the characters look too similar upon initial viewing. In the end though, I have little problem with the appearance of the major characters.

I can see where the story could be labeled melodramatic by some; but here's the catch. As has been said, this is not a series one can watch in a group and expect the same feeling from. Just as in real life, where our "love" relationships involve awkward, often melodramatic intimate moments, the relationships of Saikano preserve that same sense of not knowing what to do in the heat of the moment (and not just referring to sexual activity). Very rarely am I able to react in the "suave movie star manner" in these situations, and neither can Shuji. And seriously, speaking as a guy, if most of my friends were able to follow me on a video through my relations with the opposite sex, they'd probably all find it melodramatic as heck too. When viewed in this light, the story becomes less melodramatic and more grounded in realistic characterization; at least, as far as I see it.

And one last point regarding the series itself, one that surprisingly (to me) gets labeled "sub-par" in most online reviews, is the music: the next purchase I made, even before picking up the second volume on DVD, was ordering the OST through a Japanese retailer. It is definitely a worthwhile purchase, even if only for the guitar-driven "remixes" of the OP and ED music used as incidentals through the show (a personal favorite being the music used right at the end of the very first episode when spoiler[Shuji first sees Chise in "weapon form,"] complete with heart-beating-in-head and striking Japanese title screen.

My only fear now is that, through my reading, spoiler[episode 10 was supposed to be the last episode of the series to end in any sense of positive nature.] The pain of the episodes on volume 3 was bad enough, and I can't imagine what the last volume could do to top that. I do, however, know I'll be in the store to pick it up and find out in November.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
akatonbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quote
"Flaunting their powers to all they come across (conveniently spaced at one per episode), the series settles into a Bad Guy of the Week pattern. Luckily, it still finds the time to introduce a few new permanent characters along the way so things don’t get too monotonous. While the series is fairly entertaining and action-packed so far, there’s not much of a solid storyline to speak of. This will most likely change later in the show, but for now, give this a rental to see if it’s something you might enjoy."

*puzzled*

Even the last 3 episodes of the first disc are a 3-part storyline, not 3 one-shot episodes. One-shots are the exception, not the rule, in GetBackers; after the first 2 episodes, there are 2 3-episode stories, a 2-episode story, and then episodes 11-25 make up a single storyline which is, obviously, the meat of the first half of the season (compare to the Kyoto arc in Rurouni Kenshin, which despite the historical setting of RK and the '5 minutes into the future' getting of GB, is a pretty apt comparison for me in a lot of ways). The second half has more one-shots, but it's not without longer plotlines either (eps 29-33 and 43-49), and some of the one-shots there touch on parts of the manga which didn't make it in as full storylines.

Like RK, though, GB does diverge pretty majorly from the manga after episode 25. The final arc is totally original to the anime, and the things which do draw on the manga are generally much more loosely based after that point. (Not surprising; the manga is still running.)
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Thats the first time I've heard Nurse Witch Komugi described as anything other than a "must see"

Could it be that you're just watching too many parodies lately?

I mean, if you strung Airplane, all the Naked Gun movies and all the Austin Powers movies back to back, then it probably would get old. But those are all still funny movies.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I think Saikano would work better if it didn't take place in high school, but that's just me.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of collecting Miami Guns, once all the DVD's came out. Man, I was hoping that MG's would fill the void in my anime diet that occurred once I finished Youre Under Arrest. Guess I'll have to tread lightly on this one.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I acctually never really thought of Dokkoida as a parody, though I guess that does make some sence. The series put a smile on my face though, and I'm definently going for vol.2.

Ikki-Tousen. Man. The very premise of the series is so absurd you can't help but laugh. I was also wondering how the hell they could ever fit that much fanservice into a TV run. However, although it's absurdly fanservice-y, I can't exactly remember a time where you could acctually see nipples. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but then again, I don't wanna look for it either. =P

Although, "move - Driving Through the Night", is one of the catchiest opening themes I've heard in a long while. If anything, that song almost merits me buying the DVD (I bought it completely on a random hunch, a few days before it was acctually offically released. [convention]).

And now I realize that the hand towel came with the box set. I was wondering about that for a while. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Saikano pretty much demands that you take it seriously which is why only a select few anime fans are really going to love it. Chise isn't sexualized in the slightest - the camera does not fetishize her - so the pedo accusations don't really work here.

YAY!

Now, not seeing the show, I can only ask if there is at least a little bit of light, even unintentional humor every now and then or is it 100% all-serious all the time. I don't think I'd be able to sit long if it was.
ParukeruBuraian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
YAY!

Now, not seeing the show, I can only ask if there is at least a little bit of light, even unintentional humor every now and then or is it 100% all-serious all the time. I don't think I'd be able to sit long if it was.

There is a decent amount of humor in the series, spaced out well enough to keep things on a relatively even-keel. Not stuff that will really make you laugh out loud or fall to the floor gasping for breath, but then again it would seem very out of place if that was the case.

I know that might not be enough to sway you either way, should you still be on the fence about it, but I highly recommend that you at least buy the first DVD and check it out. It worked out for me, and given that it probably won't see US network airtime, it's about the only way to do it legally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Neilworms

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:01 pm Reply with quote
To go on a different route:

Seems you guys missed out on the one release that I was looking foward to the most, and is probably the most obscure anime released this week: Neo-Tokyo

At least from my perspective of liking experimental and "tripped out" films this is one of the greatest anime OVA's ever produced, its worth a look.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ParukeruBuraian wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
YAY!

There is a decent amount of humor in the series, spaced out well enough to keep things on a relatively even-keel. Not stuff that will really make you laugh out loud or fall to the floor gasping for breath, but then again it would seem very out of place if that was the case.

Well there was one part that made me laugh out loud, when Chise was floating then suddenly just fell over on her side. But I must ask, wasn't there anything lower then rental shelf to put Ikkitousen in?
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
To go on a different route:

Seems you guys missed out on the one release that I was looking foward to the most, and is probably the most obscure anime released this week: Neo-Tokyo

*blinks*

I didn't even know that Neo-Tokyo came out this week, and I was actively looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Man, im surprised that Ikki Tousen is bashed as much at it is. I saw it and didn't think it was THAT bad....
But oh well......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4