• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Highlights and Skylights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Ikki Tousen is a good title for guys, especially the perverts. It's not bad, just most female seem to not like fanservice with thier anime.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Ikki Tousen is a good title for guys, especially the perverts. It's not bad, just most female seem to not like fanservice with thier anime.

No, its just a stupid title. If you want fanservice there are plently of other shows that have it and are actually good.
Goshin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
It's not bad, just most female seem to not like fanservice with thier anime.

Hardly.

I've seen one episode and I thought it was filth. It's one thing to have fan service, but if it doesn’t have some sort of interesting story or plot, then it's not even worth watching.

Quote:
Ikki Tousen is a good title for guys, especially the perverts
I’m assuming right now and yes, my assumptions could be wrong, but you’ve seen the entire series haven’t you?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to talk about Kaleido Star. I liked the show at first, but now Im a bit bored. Maybe its just me, but the whole "Do your best, never give up despite the drama" theme got kind of old. Not a bad series, but I would rather spend my money on other things (I still have yet to look at Saikano).
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
jfrog: I'm still looking forward to it, because Amazon loves to use their monopolistic influence to get certain titles first. I guess they learned from Blockbuster.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
Huh. I checked the website for Scarecrow Video (my local video store), and it says they have it in already. Are you sure that Amazon gets it first?

And for the record, I'm a male, and I find fanservice to be insulting (with the exception of Re: Cutie Honey, but that needed fanservice the same way Russ Meyer films need fanservice).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

Ikki-Tousen. Man. The very premise of the series is so absurd you can't help but laugh. I was also wondering how the hell they could ever fit that much fanservice into a TV run. However, although it's absurdly fanservice-y, I can't exactly remember a time where you could acctually see nipples. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but then again, I don't wanna look for it either. =P

So far, i've seen only once where her boobies were exposed...and they looked like what she looked like on the enclosed Pencil board!! Almost invisable!!

Then again, she did spoiler[orgasm when that eye-patch girl got her in the headlock around the end of Episode 1. ] I think Agent Aika was much better than Ikki Tousen.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:05 am Reply with quote
Goshin wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
It's not bad, just most female seem to not like fanservice with thier anime.

Hardly.

I've seen one episode and I thought it was filth. It's one thing to have fan service, but if it doesn’t have some sort of interesting story or plot, then it's not even worth watching.

I concur. I hated this series. It boggled my mind when it was licensed. I've seen a few episodes, I watched hoping it would get better, but sadly it didn't.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:19 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I forgot to talk about Kaleido Star. I liked the show at first, but now Im a bit bored. Maybe its just me, but the whole "Do your best, never give up despite the drama" theme got kind of old.

Well, I haven't gotten tired of it yet, but it is 51 eps so I'll have to see how I feel after 20 or so.. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:06 am Reply with quote
jfrog: That, or I need to move to a city that actually stocks their titles on time...
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:35 am Reply with quote
As you can probaly tell from my avater, I am a Kaleido Star fan, and I don't find the series to be boring. The "do your best, never give up" motif might be a bit cliche, but Gonzo kept it fresh by balancing the characters into their own personal stories. The only negative I see is the awful choice of Cynthia Martinez as the VA for Sora. Hopefully, when/if ADV license the second season, they'll have someone else VA Sora.

As for SaiKano, I rented Volume 1 and I liked the series. It's not the greatest thing I ever saw, but I thought the story was very emotional. It could've used some humor, though.

No surprise Ikki Tousen made it to the Perishable pile, as most of the reviews I read gave it a bad rating (except for Newtype USA, of course). However, I was disappointed that Miami Guns was in this category as well. I thought the series was very funny, but oh well......

Overall, another solid column. Keep it up Exclamation
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:43 am Reply with quote
All of Kaleido Star is licensed as ADV co-produced it. And as for them changing any of the voice actors? You can forget about it. Those who like the dub would raise a far bigger stink than those who aren't happy with the way it is now. Personally I wonder how they would do with a different director/ADR script writer. Of course, I don't see that happening either. While I thnk Kaleido Star could have easily have been one of their biggest hits, given its originality, I consider the dub to have taken any wind it might have had out of its sails.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think fanservice automatically makes a show bad. It's when the fanservice takes over an entire series and replaces story and character development with breasts that it gets a little overboard.

To be fair, Tenjou Tenge is a fantastic series, and that's filled with fanservice.
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote
So is Najica Blitz Tactics.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Ikki Tousen, my impression was that, spoiler[(not to gross anyone out), she lost control of her bladder, as that was way too much liquid to be anything else.] Hakafu makes me laugh, though, and it was written in another thread that the series gets better as it progresses. "Pink eye girl" (as Hakafu called her) was cool, as she reminded me alot of the Russian killer-lady in Golden Eye. Anybody else that saw Ikki thought the fighter's amulet looks just like the symbol on the cover of Blue Seed?
-biliano, I'm with you on Najica Blitz Tactics. By the third DVD I didn't even notice the fanservice, as the plot thickened. Quite a few people have poo-pooed this series, but I wonder if they ever made it to the third DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4