• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Bend It Like Kakeru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

They've also tried renaming the class but the phenomenon still happens in whatever is the 3rd class. Even if a hotel goes from 12 to 14, that doesn't stop 14 from being the 13th floor.

So tear down the school. We are talking a REALLY HIGH death rate, here. The fact that the school isn't doing anything about it really baffles me. It's hard to suspend disbelief when it seems they're operating on hoodoo and guesswork.

Quote:
How much stronger of a line would you like? Sora has a crush on Yuuta, Yuuta just sees her as his niece and only has eyes for Raika.

I want Miu to stop egging them on, I want the series to stop showing Yuuta stumbling in on Sora undressing, and I want the series to just drop the whole thing already.

Quote:
You're welcome to have your own tastes, of course, but it just seems odd that you critisize one series for something but let it slide in another.

You're comparing surface-level attributes, though. Both series can have similar characters, but if one series utilizes one character better than another, then overall it's a better series. I think Marika is justifiably bewildered at her circumstances. She's just discovered something about her mother she's never known, and she's given a really heavy responsibility, the reality of which has probably not really hit her yet. But at least she's had doubts, and she's bewildered, and she's given the choice.

Not the quoted person but I will answer if you don't mind.

It wouldn't matter if they tore they school the school down the curse would still linger and be even more vengeful if they did so. They did the same thing in corpse party, it didn't work. Japanese horror use the same set ups all the time and giving it's small town they would have to rebuild the school on the same spot. Again that would not work it would just keep happening. Acknowledgment is the key even if it's only one person. They can keep the curse the alive this is a huge trait have I have gathered from most Japanese style horror.

That's just what miu does or her personality trait...I'm not a big fan of that archetype nor will I ever be. I was so close to dropping this show by this episode from the creepy fat stereotype otaku. I read from different sources however it's not going the same route as the manga so maybe he ends up with raika... I don't know.

Hmm I would happen to agree with you as well it would depend on the series and the exciton on how it's handled. Shows like to love ru keep me laughing despite the tropes/cliches because of the characters while A bridge to the starry skies was as dull as watching bread rise.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I think Marika is justifiably bewildered at her circumstances. She's just discovered something about her mother she's never known, and she's given a really heavy responsibility, the reality of which has probably not really hit her yet. But at least she's had doubts, and she's bewildered, and she's given the choice.

What gave you that impression? Bewildered? She's just been all "Sigh, all this hard work... I just wanna go to the beach with my friends!" While the work load might be a bit much for her, she's taking to it pretty well and hasn't shown any doubts.

I am looking forward to when she goes on higher level missions where it's not just all fun and games. That should get a lot more out of her.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
It wouldn't matter if they tore they school the school down the curse would still linger and be even more vengeful if they did so. They did the same thing in corpse party, it didn't work. Japanese horror use the same set ups all the time and giving it's small town they would have to rebuild the school on the same spot. Again that would not work. Acknowledgment even if it's only one person can keep the curse the alive and have I have gathered from most Japanese horrors.

Exactly. The town needs a school so they'd have to build another one and that new one would still experience the phenomenon.

Besides, we all know how adults are. Try to tell them about it and they'd just laugh it off as a silly coincidence, there are no such things as ghosts, we aren't going to waste money by rebuilding the school, etc.
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm still with Another, but I can't say that I love it. I enjoy it enough, but I doubt that I would watch it again anytime soon. Inu Boku, on the other hand, I think is great. Nothing is really going on, but that's okay with me. I enjoy the characters, and it can be pretty funny.

Sadly, that's all I'm watching this season. I don't enjoy sports anime and I dropped Bodacious Space Pirate, Future Diary, and Last Exile.

grooven wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
I don't like the music in the opening it doesn't feel right for the show. Looking forward to more of the show.

LMAO you do realize Ali Project is pretty much a staple for horror like animes. Anyway it does suit it perfectly.

As for Another I find it works fine. I watch horror of all kinds, this is something new. It would be very boring and rather redundant if they all knew how to do it all and work it perfectly. So I could care less about that. It makes it far more interesting than the shit horror plots America is pumping out.

....The intro to Another is the worst OP I have ever seen/heard. There actually are aspects of the song that I enjoy-- mostly having to do with her vocal ability near the end-- but that song is so B-horror movie cliche it hurts. It hurts a lot.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
I'm still with Another, but I can't say that I love it. I enjoy it enough, but I doubt that I would watch it again anytime soon. Inu Boku, on the other hand, I think is great. Nothing is really going on, but that's okay with me. I enjoy the characters, and it can be pretty funny.

Sadly, that's all I'm watching this season. I don't enjoy sports anime and I dropped Bodacious Space Pirate, Future Diary, and Last Exile.

grooven wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
I don't like the music in the opening it doesn't feel right for the show. Looking forward to more of the show.

LMAO you do realize Ali Project is pretty much a staple for horror like animes. Anyway it does suit it perfectly.

As for Another I find it works fine. I watch horror of all kinds, this is something new. It would be very boring and rather redundant if they all knew how to do it all and work it perfectly. So I could care less about that. It makes it far more interesting than the shit horror plots America is pumping out.

....The intro to Another is the worst OP I have ever seen/heard. There actually are aspects of the song that I enjoy-- mostly having to do with her vocal ability near the end-- but that song is so B-horror movie cliche it hurts. It hurts a lot.

actually the scariest part of another is the op lol well and this...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Besides, we all know how adults are. Try to tell them about it and they'd just laugh it off as a silly coincidence, there are no such things as ghosts, we aren't going to waste money by rebuilding the school, etc.

IIRC, all the adults in town are aware of the "curse." Both the parents of the current class, and those of previous classes.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

IIRC, all the adults in town are aware of the "curse." Both the parents of the current class, and those of previous classes.
Wait "all of the adults"? IIRC, wasn't there another school in town that people went to? I think the nurse went to the other school and so didn't know about the curse and had to ask her brother one of the kids in the class what was going on. Also wasn't it mentioned that the principal was new and didn't know what was going on? And aren't people afraid of mentioning it, because it might draw the curse on them and their families. The adults perhaps are in a similar position as the kids and so they ignore or pretend to not know what is going on.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
I love another at the moment. Lol it is what it is. I've really been enjoying those kind of genres lately.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

willag wrote:

Re: Listen to Me Girls
Oh god, that picture is creepy. Showing off that 10% for us? You've successfully creeped me out. Neutral

Oh, god I'm so glad I didn't even bother to watch a single episode.

I didn't really notice any implications there until looking at the picture after reading the column(it certainly comes off clean enough in motion). Maybe that's because I'm not the type to assume that eating a banana is inherently sexual.

Japan has been taking it to another level. Laughing

It was even on a Tokyo Game Show report on Xbox Live!

SakechanBD wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

How much stronger of a line would you like? Sora has a crush on Yuuta, Yuuta just sees her as his niece and only has eyes for Raika.

I want Miu to stop egging them on, I want the series to stop showing Yuuta stumbling in on Sora undressing, and I want the series to just drop the whole thing already.

Nooooooo! High school girls in various stages of undress are what make anime go round! Laughing

As the great Dazed and Confused film had taught us: "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

actually the scariest part of another is the op lol well and this...

I've seen blood actually come out of eyes before, so................... eh. Laughing
unready

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
#9 - Inu X Boku SS [ep. 5-6]
... I appreciate it for painting Ririchiyo as a truly complex and pleasant protagonist, but the series just wasn't going anywhere. ...

I've been following the series, and I have had some of the same concerns about lack of direction. However, it seems to avoid doing horrible formula stuff (sometimes avoiding it at the last minute when it seems headed there for sure), leaving it kind of a character study about a girl, earnest and unjaded by apparently uncaring parents, who may manage to overcome the social isolation that said uncaring parents seem to have actually intended for her. Even the episode that introduces her "fiancé" shows that as a child she probably wrote to him because he would actually write back, and that correspondence was maybe the only enduring relationship she had ever had. It manages to convey that sense of loneliness without being maudlin.

Some people may think of Soushi as an idealized love interest. It would be disappointing if his hidden agenda turned out to be something patronizingly paternalistic, but I suspect that's the way it's going to go. What I would find more interesting is if Soushi is a scam artist setting up some kind of long con that ultimately tries to take advantage of her social isolation, but maybe she overcomes it by actually establishing some real friendships with her classmates for the first time in her life. (I'm thinking of something like Matchstick Men, but from the victim's point of view and with a lighter ending.) Soushi and Natsume (bunny-eared guy) have already been portrayed as sociopaths torturing Watanuki (the tanuki) in flashback.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I picked up Hunter X Hunter about a week and a half ago after seeing it mentioned several times on this website. I had never seen the previous version of the show prior to my recent introduction, though I have since watched (semi-marathoned) all 62 original episodes. I must say, I am absolutely loving the show, and although I agree with Bamboo that the last episode was perhaps a bit more anti-climactic than it could have been, I feel that the greatest thing about this show is its unconventional nature. The most recent episodes seem to fit right into that unconventional MO.

From the very beginning, I have been repeatedly surprised by how the show takes overused, typical Shonen content and either turns it on its head or takes it to some comical extreme, all while maintaining a level of self-awareness which is highly entertaining. When I first took a look at the show, my interest level was relatively low. I looked at Gon and was thinking "Ok this basically looks like a Dragon Ball rip off." Gon was a young, innocent country bumpkin type kid like Goku with immense power potential. Like Goku, his personally is perpetually bright and sunny, and he never gives up. Like Goku, he travels around on some simple quest while acquiring a cadre of similarly hyper powerful friends. I thought I wouldn't last more than a few episodes.

However, once they got to the first phase of the hunter exam I quickly became intrigued. Sure, there are a lot of Shonen shows where there is an exam or test of some kind whereby the protagonist must pass certain obstacles or level up in some way to reach their ultimate goal, but spoiler[i'd never seen a show where the entire first phase of the test was just running some ridiculous, inhumanly long distance. (49 mile hard run followed by an impossibly high stair climb).] The cool thing about the first phase in Hunter X Hunter was that it involved an intense spectacle which was simultaneously devoid of action. This allowed for a lot of character development and exposition which, in most shonen shows, might otherwise be crudely sandwiched into brief breaks in combat.

Another unconventional aspect of the show so far, which I believe has been noted by others, is the fact that unlike most Shonen protagonists, Gon's inherent power (although very great) is limited and he seems to rarely win important physical battles. Instead, he commonly triumphs over adversity through intellect, heart, personality or other intangibles. This is contrary to the usual Shonen formula, where the protagonist either wins everything via his special hidden power, or loses just enough to build some suspense, then wins in the end through his special hidden power.

These are just a few examples. I think the writers have done a similarly fantastic job making Gon's friends equally unique and compelling. spoiler[In particular, the role-reversal between Kurapika and Killua as far as what you'd normally expect from a show like this also took me by surprise.] As I noted above, the most recent episode was kind of anti-climactic but that seems to fit in with the general way the story has been progressing in an unconventional manner. spoiler[The final tournament is de-emphasized on purpose, and ultimately the hunter exam itself is similarly de-emphasized. That's part of what Satotz is explaining to Gon after he re-caps the final tournament - the fact that the hunter license is simultaneously the most valuable item in the world and a worthless piece of trash.] I found that philosophical angle to be very intriguing and unique in this genre, even if it could have been implemented a little better.

Having seen the rest of the first part of the original show, I think the significance of the anti-climactic nature of the hunter exam becomes more clear even if it seems strange now.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Nooooooo! High school girls in various stages of undress are what make anime go round! Laughing

Lol, she's not even in high school.

Anyways I picked up, Girls I Am Your Father, because initially I thought it would focus more on parent/child or in this case guardian/child relationships (I'm still high off of Usagi Drop). I agree with Bamboo in that there are a lot of good, heartfelt moments, but equally as many moments that make you want to smash your face into your monitor. So it's a hard series to follow. However, with hope for more good moments, it becomes manageable.

The eviction notice is a good sign that the writer isn't going to have them live in their fantasy world. By the contract he signed, he is supposed to be the only occupant of that apartment. My apartment is the same way. My roommate and I are the only people allowed to live here (however we can have guests for an extended period). There are still more elements of real life that need to be addressed that I mention below.

Cons: aside from stupid, typical, anime harem situations. Miu is just too aware and mature about this whole situation as a 10 year old. Also, the writer/director is ignoring all the legal benefits that Yuuta should be able to claim (I assume you would receive some sort of equivalent in Japan, if your sister and brother in law die in a plane crash). They still have time to address that, but it really should have been addressed by the third or fourth episodes.

Regarding Chihayafuru and Bodacious Space Pirates at #1 and #2 respectively, I agree. However just because BSP is #2 doesn't mean it's anywhere near Chihayfuru's level. It is #2 because everything else this season is kinda meh. There is a huge gap between #1 and #2 right now.

I can't wait till the Spring season, because Thomas The Tank Engine is going to annihilate all competition including Fate Zero season 2.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Also wasn't it mentioned that the principal was new and didn't know what was going on? And aren't people afraid of mentioning it, because it might draw the curse on them and their families. The adults perhaps are in a similar position as the kids and so they ignore or pretend to not know what is going on.

SIGH. And that is exactly my problem with the show. What kind of screwed logic is this? Where are the problem solvers in this town? Get to the bottom of this. Sweeping things under the rug is not the way to make this go away. ESPECIALLY when new kids inevitably break the rules because they're not told the rules, thus starting in motion the curse again.

Once the curse has been started for the year, it can't be stopped. But the curse is (MAYBE) started when someone breaks the rules... but when they're not even told the rules, of COURSE they break it. So then despite everyone else upholding the rules, the curse starts regardless! It's circular logic.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Lol, she's not even in high school.

High school, junior high school ~ what quibblers.

Quote:
Regarding Chihayafuru and Bodacious Space Pirates at #1 and #2 respectively, I agree. However just because BSP is #2 doesn't mean it's anywhere near Chihayfuru's level. It is #2 because everything else this season is kinda meh. There is a huge gap between #1 and #2 right now.

Yeah, but Chihaya Furu took time to build to this level. I would have flipped back and forth between Chihaya Furu and Fate/Zero at this point in last season, but Chihaya Furu was my firm overall favorite by the end of the season. Between two A shows, it ended up as my A+.

Miniskirt Space Privateers would have been my #2 among a slew of B+/A- shows, because that's my genre from long before I started watching anime, but its likely that more B+/A- shows to pick from would have led to fewer people agreeing with me.
ChocolateBar9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, yet another article about Chihayafuru Rolling Eyes

It seems like this site has done a good job of overhyping a mediocre drama for nothing

Quote:
I never want to watch it

You're 7 episodes in and not enjoying it. Why haven't you dropped it and saved everyone your complaining? I feel you a bit on the pacing, but remember that it's 26(24) episodes and not 12

Quote:
The characters are completely generic and bland.

Lan started off as a Rei clone before revealing that she's actually insecure, clumsy, and terrified of her future. Madoka started off as a genki girl before it was revealed that she harbors doubts about herself and why she helps others. Muginami started off as an airheaded ditzy girl before it was revealed that she is actually quite competent and that she is dealing with a very difficult past. All things considered I find it hilarious that you're praising the characterization in Morestsu Pirates when they come off as even more bland and generic
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Also wasn't it mentioned that the principal was new and didn't know what was going on? And aren't people afraid of mentioning it, because it might draw the curse on them and their families. The adults perhaps are in a similar position as the kids and so they ignore or pretend to not know what is going on.

SIGH. And that is exactly my problem with the show. What kind of screwed logic is this? Where are the problem solvers in this town? Get to the bottom of this. Sweeping things under the rug is not the way to make this go away. ESPECIALLY when new kids inevitably break the rules because they're not told the rules, thus starting in motion the curse again.

Once the curse has been started for the year, it can't be stopped. But the curse is (MAYBE) started when someone breaks the rules... but when they're not even told the rules, of COURSE they break it. So then despite everyone else upholding the rules, the curse starts regardless! It's circular logic.

You're digging at one of the underlying themes of the show: conforming isn't the right way to go about life. We know that East Asians have that "the nail that sticks up gets hammered down" mentality, but in Another, it's that exact thinking that keeps getting people killed year after year. In order to solve the problem, one has to be different and willing and loud about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7