• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Bend It Like Kakeru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
Well, aren't you a bundle of joy. Typically when joining a forum, a new user is expected to read the 'stickied' posts for that forum. And just as you know it, this Talkback section has such a sticky. I advise that you read it.
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Another still has some logic flaws, but I'm willing to accept them as long as they answer why the authorities haven't stepped in to investigate. Just having it happen once should've alerted authorities a little higher on the command chain than the town's chief of police. With teachers commiting suicide in front of the class and half a dozen kids and their families dying every year....it's way too suspicious.

I'm guessing they've investigated once or twice, the curse got even worse, and after that, the school just falsified reports and covered it up.

This may have been mentioned and I could have missed it, but what's the penalty for skipping town? Is it certain death, are the odds still the same, or are you off the hook?

And the parrot is still the creepiest element of the show for me. I keep getting the feeling there's a really disturbing family story behind its cries.
ChocolateBar9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Well, aren't you a bundle of joy. Typically when joining a forum, a new user is expected to read the 'stickied' posts for that forum. And just as you know it, this Talkback section has such a sticky. I advise that you read it.

Fascinating. But I never asked for your concern so they I'd advise you to keep your nose out of other people's business if you don't mind
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
ChocolateBar9 wrote:

Fascinating. But I never asked for your concern so they I'd advise you to keep your nose out of other people's business if you don't mind

A friendly word of advice: Carry on like this and you will end up banned.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
The Boss wrote:
That's the diet where you just clap your hands and, because of a necessary plot point, you shed 100 pounds in ten days and turn into a lean, mean, futbol machine.

Yeah, y'know what? That just killed all interest I had in the series. Utterly. The brother's ghost haunting him and giving him special abilities or what not was bad enough, but this takes the cake. Having struggled with my weight most of my life, seeing something like this touches a nerve, especially considering how unhealthy it is to lose so much in such a short time.

Oh, I don't know. I once lost eleven pounds in three days. Granted that's only a third of the rate that the character would have needed and it was because at the time I was suffering from a severe stomach virus that left me a bedridden involuntary anorexic and bulimic...

One-Eye wrote:
willag wrote:

Re: Listen to Me Girls
Oh god, that picture is creepy. Showing off that 10% for us? You've successfully creeped me out. Neutral
Oh, god I'm so glad I didn't even bother to watch a single episode.

Oh God... I hadn't even looked at the picture before. I, Surrender Artist, shall forever regret this.

ChocolateBar9 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Then why are you in a discussion thread if you don't actually want anybody to react to what you post? You might have noticed that people don't conventionally end their posts with statements as to whether they want replies or not. It's sort of implicit in the whole 'discussion forum' concept. If you act like the way you have, people will react and generally not well. Most of your first post was largely unsubstantiated, preening sarcasm and assertions. What better can you expect when you set such an unpleasant tone from the get-g? You're reaping what you've sown. If you didn't want to, why did you bother posting?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
shukero wrote:

As for the review of Brave 10; I wish that Bamboo would have given this show a couple of extra episodes before dropping it. The action doesn't really start untill 3-4 Razz

You're right that the action takes off then, but...I don't know. I've been watching it, mostly in hopes of figuring out what precisely the main plot is - apart from gathering ten brave warriors, which looks to be happening in full next week. That's a little late given that the encyclopedia lists only 12 episodes. It's a fun show, yes, but it'd be more fun with maybe a bit more cohesion. Smile

Bamboo, you are made of tougher stuff than I am. I dropped Listen to Me, Girls when spoiler[the otaku stereotype said he could smell young girl on the protagonist].
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
You're right that the action takes off then, but...I don't know. I've been watching it, mostly in hopes of figuring out what precisely the main plot is - apart from gathering ten brave warriors, which looks to be happening in full next week. That's a little late given that the encyclopedia lists only 12 episodes. It's a fun show, yes, but it'd be more fun with maybe a bit more cohesion. Smile
I think you're overthinking it. It's a series of contrived excuses to put people of varying levels of metrosexuality in situations where they pound on each other for the amusement of the audience. As for the girl, she's the audience surrogate, up to the point that she knows that she's in an anime (that's why she's so confident that she'll always be rescued).
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
ChocolateBar9 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Megiddo was trying to give you some well-warranted advice and you give a snarky comeback like that? Then let me say this to you in an official capacity: heed what he said. Your response to NotintheMood was out of line. Comments like his/hers are harmless and perfectly acceptable in these forums provided that he/she isn't being obnoxious about it, and that's not happening here. If you truly don't care then don't respond.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Salsaman1991 wrote:
Another still has some logic flaws, but I'm willing to accept them as long as they answer why the authorities haven't stepped in to investigate. Just having it happen once should've alerted authorities a little higher on the command chain than the town's chief of police. With teachers commiting suicide in front of the class and half a dozen kids and their families dying every year....it's way too suspicious.

The authorities fail to step in to investigate things all the time ~ heck, there'd have been no plot for Erin Brokovich if the authorities had stepped in and done their job in response to all the people getting sick and dying at unusually high rates. And that's in the loudmouth US ~ even more so in a society that places a higher priority on conformity and going along to get along.

If Another takes that very real behavior and exaggerates it a bit ~ well, no harm in a bit of exaggeration.

Key wrote:
... If you truly don't care then don't respond.
Hey, what a coincidence ~ I was thinking the very same thing yesterday.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

willag wrote:

Oh god, that picture is creepy. Showing off that 10% for us? You've successfully creeped me out. Neutral

I didn't really notice any implications there until looking at the picture after reading the column(it certainly comes off clean enough in motion). Maybe that's because I'm not the type to assume that eating a banana is inherently sexual.

I wonder what Bamboo will think of episode seven, though.

If you can struggle past the 10 minute mark with the fat otaku clone then yeah.. spoiler[eviction is never fun]

I don't really think the bannan it's self is sexual... it's just the people that Photoshop other things there >__> i'm not amused

There is nothing inherently sexual about a child eating a banana, and it wasn't specifically her about to eat a banana that caused me to interpret that image out of context that way.

It was her eating a banana being held in what looks like a guy's hand, with rosy cheeks, right next to a paragraph discussing creepiness in the show seemingly provided by some otaku obsessed with lolis. From that point, all I could imagine was a fat, creepy older guy feeding her a banana while grinning and cooing ("ooooh, you love that banana, don't you?") and staring at her mouth.

The scene that image is taken from is probably a lot more innocent than that (as long as it's not the otaku guy feeding her), but it's an image that's stuck with me. :/

Surrender Artist wrote:
willag wrote:
The Boss wrote:
That's the diet where you just clap your hands and, because of a necessary plot point, you shed 100 pounds in ten days and turn into a lean, mean, futbol machine.

Yeah, y'know what? That just killed all interest I had in the series. Utterly. The brother's ghost haunting him and giving him special abilities or what not was bad enough, but this takes the cake. Having struggled with my weight most of my life, seeing something like this touches a nerve, especially considering how unhealthy it is to lose so much in such a short time.

Oh, I don't know. I once lost eleven pounds in three days. Granted that's only a third of the rate that the character would have needed and it was because at the time I was suffering from a severe stomach virus that left me a bedridden involuntary anorexic and bulimic...

Key word: Unhealthy

I highly doubt a "severe stomach virus that left [you] a bedridden involuntary anorexic and bulimic" qualifies as healthy. Wink

Surrender Artist wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
willag wrote:

Oh God... I hadn't even looked at the picture before. I, Surrender Artist, shall forever regret this.

All according to plan. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Salsaman1991 wrote:
Right, but they showed a list of people who died in one year which if I recall correctly went something like 2 from disease and 4 from accidents plus the main leads mom who died in childbirth. A car accident, someone falling down some stairs, or death by any disease is not really going to call the full powers of the police force into action. As far as the suicide, well that's what it was. It could be interpreted spoiler[as the teacher cracking under the pressure of taking care of his invalid mother], which the police report might say. Also remember that there aren't deaths every single year.

I have to say that I don't have a good feel for the size of the town. Depending on the size of the town the number of deaths could be high, or it could be average or even low. My home town had about 37,000 people (not exactly huge)when I graduated high school, 2 high schools and around 21 fatalities just in car crashes. I think the previous year was really high like around 40 fatalities due to car accidents. We probably had that Japanese town beat in number of fatalities just in car accidents alone. This is not including deaths from diseases, suicides, other accidents, natural causes, etc. I think the police would probably do a campaign on driving safety, not necessarily think that there was an underlying cause to all the dying. So, I also think it depends on the size of the city/town as to whether deaths seem unusually high.

But, I agree I would like a little more information to aid my suspension of disbelief. I hope they provide this in upcoming episodes.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
There is nothing inherently sexual about a child eating a banana, and it wasn't specifically her about to eat a banana that caused me to interpret that image out of context that way.

It was her eating a banana being held in what looks like a guy's hand, with rosy cheeks, right next to a paragraph discussing creepiness in the show seemingly provided by some otaku obsessed with lolis. From that point, all I could imagine was a fat, creepy older guy feeding her a banana while grinning and cooing ("ooooh, you love that banana, don't you?") and staring at her mouth.

The scene that image is taken from is probably a lot more innocent than that (as long as it's not the otaku guy feeding her), but it's an image that's stuck with me. :/
It was a random shopkeep shortly before he started stuffing a bag full of stuff(seems Hina's just that adorable). When the club president does meet her, he's not anywhere near as creepy as you suggest(in fact, he doesn't get beaten for being creepy until dinner).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
I think Marika is justifiably bewildered at her circumstances. She's just discovered something about her mother she's never known, and she's given a really heavy responsibility, the reality of which has probably not really hit her yet. But at least she's had doubts, and she's bewildered, and she's given the choice.

What gave you that impression? Bewildered? She's just been all "Sigh, all this hard work... I just wanna go to the beach with my friends!" While the work load might be a bit much for her, she's taking to it pretty well and hasn't shown any doubts.

I am looking forward to when she goes on higher level missions where it's not just all fun and games. That should get a lot more out of her.

I hope that I'll be forgiven for going back to to the past*, but I've been meaning to try to speak to this.

I think that the characterization in Bodacious Space Pirates is a bit underplayed, maybe a little ambiguous and comes gradually. If I'm honest, I feel like it's very strong, but I find it hard to explain that well. I would very pleased if somebody with a less feeble, confounded lump of squishy stuff on skull were to lay it all out thoroughly.

Nevertheless, I want to make an errant sortie on whether Marika was bewildered, because I think that there are real signs of it, ignoring episode seven to play by the rules of the column, in the first half dozen episodes of the series. The almost flaccid way that Marika reacted to learning that her father, whom she'd never known, had died and the way that she dutifully researched everything she'd heard at the meal rather than just cheerily accept it suggested, at least in retrospect, some sense of uncertainty and perhaps inadequacy in her. In the second episode her uncertainty about her father was pretty clearly stated and there was a secondary illustration that she might be some ways out of her depth, perhaps foreshadowing later events, when she was visibly shaken after firing a gun for the first time. Further, I think that the conversation between Marika and Chiaki in episode six while they were outside of the Bentemaru hinted that Marika deliberately appears ditzy and carefree. Then there's the simple fact that she didn't immediately embrace becoming a pirate; there wasn't any real dramatic tension about that from the audience's perspective, but within the context of the story, I think that it was genuine.

If we do 'admit' episode seven into evidence, I suspect that we'll find that she's not as cheerily surefooted as she seems. spoiler[A conversation between Emi and Chiaki pretty directly indicates that Marika sees herself trying to equal, perhaps even compete with, her mother, but wants to do it on her own terms]. Taking that and spoiler[her question to Schnitzer before her first 'performance' as a pirate], I suspect that Marika was sincerely unsure whether she could satisfy her ambitions in becoming a pirate or would just be imitating her mother. That conversation also gives credence to the idea spoiler[that she's putting up a happy-go-lucky front to obfuscate how hard she works and the insecurities or sense of inadequacy that implies]. And on top of that she also spends some of the episode evidently out of her depth as her crew runs on autopilot with only token, nearly academic attention to their captain.

So, I suppose that, "bewilderment," might not be quite the right term, but I consider it plausible to believe that Marika might not be quite the effervescent genki girl that she at first seems. I hope that I'm right and that the internal stresses that I'm guessing about yield some moments wherein Marika does crack a little or visibly falter. Besides being potentially good drama, that could also make what we see up to that point more satisfying.

willag wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
willag wrote:
The Boss wrote:

Key word: Unhealthy

I highly doubt a "severe stomach virus that left [you] a bedridden involuntary anorexic and bulimic" qualifies as healthy. Wink

But it was the best I'd felt since I had all those tapeworms!

*Samurai Jack
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
ChocolateBar9 wrote:
NotintheMood wrote:
Can I just say that I really like The Stream?

I had already decided not to watch anything this season from reading the preview guide. But seeing Chihayafuru and Bodacious Space Pirates get so much praise week after week on the Stream convinced me that I should have given them a chance.

And I really liked them.

Thank you.

Nobody cares Rolling Eyes

I care!

Thanks for your hard work on the column, Bamboo!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
ChocolateBar9 wrote:
NotintheMood wrote:
Can I just say that I really like The Stream?

I had already decided not to watch anything this season from reading the preview guide. But seeing Chihayafuru and Bodacious Space Pirates get so much praise week after week on the Stream convinced me that I should have given them a chance.

And I really liked them.

Thank you.

Nobody cares Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7