• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Asks Fans to Petition to Stay on FiOS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I like FUNimation and all, and I know that if their channel is dropped it will be bad for their business... but I don't think they really cater to many anime fans by having this channel on the network.

-It appeals to a limited audience within the already small group of anime fans. (Anime fans who get FiOS, like the shows being broadcast and are available to watch the channel)
-It runs a very limited variety of shows that frequently repeat.
-They only air dubs.

IMO, anime is only really fun to watch in two situations:
1. Weekly premier. A new episode of a show that airs every week. And longer than a week in between and people forget what's happening but any shorter and you risk people missing episodes.
2. Full viewer control. Meaning DVD release and online streaming.

Daily reruns don't work because they get boring.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Ha ha, this tells me that Funimation is truly perturbed by this and feel it's hurting their business. Where's the petition to congratulate Verizon for making the right choice?
<-- HATES Funimation.

Confused So in order to see a company you don't like fail, you'd watch one of the few means of introducing people to the genre get tanked?

That's about as pyrrhic a victory as you can get here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Past wrote:
Ha ha, this tells me that Funimation is truly perturbed by this and feel it's hurting their business. Where's the petition to congratulate Verizon for making the right choice?
<-- HATES Funimation.

Confused So in order to see a company you don't like fail, you'd watch one of the few means of introducing people to the genre get tanked?

I don't think most people get that channel unless they're on upper subscription plans for things like FiOS or U-Verse, or unless they specifically seek it out. It's not remotely like having anime on Cartoon Network, which tends to be part of any basic cable package.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
1. Weekly premier. A new episode of a show that airs every week. And longer than a week in between and people forget what's happening but any shorter and you risk people missing episodes.

It might be trying to close the door after the horse has bolted, but I really like the idea of airing series in blocks of three/four episodes, with the blocks updating on a given day (say, thursday). It would be much easier to be sure that there is a series starting in every week if many of your series have runs of three weeks or six weeks.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:

It might be trying to close the door after the horse has bolted, but I really like the idea of airing series in blocks of three/four episodes, with the blocks updating on a given day (say, thursday). It would be much easier to be sure that there is a series starting in every week if many of your series have runs of three weeks or six weeks.

I've got several FUNi shows recorded on TiVo, but I just use it to augment the DVDs and online streams. Only once so far have I gotten ahead of FUNi's TV airings via streaming, and that's while watching Fairy Tail. Recorded the first five or so episodes, but now streaming everything else.

TV might as well be dying out. With TV shows, you have to wait for them to come on and they play at their own pace, including commercials and that ungodly monthly EAS test which they always do at the worst possible times! Online streams and DVDs? I can just watch at my own pace! I've subscribed to FUNi's streaming service just so I don't have to watch those pesky commercials. (If I wanted to see those, I'd just watch TV!) Instant access to premieres of English dubs? Yes, please. No more EAS tests, commercials, or anything else time-related? TV can't compete with that. This is far better than how things were in the '90s, where you had to time your bathroom breaks and everything else with the commercials and when the show started, your ass had to be seated or the whole thing started without you. Late-night? If you had to be up the next morning? You either had to learn to function on five hours of sleep or learn to hate Leno and Letterman.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Past wrote:
<-- HATES Funimation.

Maybe, just maybe Funimation is part of the problem that there are so few means of introducing people to the genre. Their approach seems to be to exhaust any and all means for their competition to succeed, sucking the life out of the industry by capitalizing on every venue possible.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:

Well, one episode a week or multiple; it doesn't matter. Just as long as they are in blocks and not scattered around the schedule.

But airing constant reruns of a few episodes of a show will drive people away. Granted that people who haven't seen the episodes might still stick around to view them, people who already seen it/them are more likely to change the channel or turn off the TV.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
But airing constant reruns of a few episodes of a show will drive people away. Granted that people who haven't seen the episodes might still stick around to view them, people who already seen it/them are more likely to change the channel or turn off the TV.

That's what makes an anime channel difficult to run. Most anime is only 13 episodes or less. A station would have to be super dedicated to keep things fresh. You're either going to be constantly having to purchase new shows and stay abreast of what's out their or you're going to be airing the same 13 episodes over and over and over and over and over again.

Does Japan even have anime only channels? I've always thought anime runs on normal networks during a set time block. To me, I think diverting all funding that goes into the Funi channel, which has minimal availability) to trying to get a nationally carried cable channel (ie SyFy, Cartoon Network, Spike, etc) to to devote 1 or 2 hours a week to anime is a better way of spending money than trying to keep a channel that almost nobody can access or wants to access up and running.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:
Past wrote:
<-- HATES Funimation.

Maybe, just maybe Funimation is part of the problem that there are so few means of introducing people to the genre. Their approach seems to be to exhaust any and all means for their competition to succeed, sucking the life out of the industry by capitalizing on every venue possible.

That's the way all corporations work. You try to get as much revenue as possible. Funi is simply is acting like a normal business.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Past"]
Yoda117 wrote:

I'm curious where that line of reasoning is coming from. Not trying to be snarky, but my observation is a bit different.

My perception is that Funimation was actually slow to the digital distribution method, VoD, and even a dedicated anime channel. CPM, ADV, and others beat them to a lot of the newer venues (ADV, now Sentai, in particular beat Funimation to all three, IIRC). This was especially true when they were under Navarre.

The hits to the industry have been more about other companies refusing to identify the market within the US, and further refusing to adjust their strategy to match that (Bandai is a great example of this). Some companies were just the victims of bad luck or management, and some just decided to go a different route (AnimEigo, for example still does a bunch of stuff, but 90% of it is live action).

One thing I do have to give Funimation is that their business people are very observant to the market and move accordingly. Sometimes they move a bit slower and have to play catch up, but they seem to do a good job of researching, and so far it's paid off.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
To me, I think diverting all funding that goes into the Funi channel, which has minimal availability) to trying to get a nationally carried cable channel (ie SyFy, Cartoon Network, Spike, etc) to to devote 1 or 2 hours a week to anime is a better way of spending money than trying to keep a channel that almost nobody can access or wants to access up and running.

This, this, and this. They're wasting their money, point blank period. Stuff like FMA Brotherhood and whatever else Funi has managed to get on Adult Swim gets a hell of a lot more visibility than their barely there channel on FiOS.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
(corrected the quoting mixup)
Yoda117 wrote:
Past wrote:

I'm curious where that line of reasoning is coming from. Not trying to be snarky, but my observation is a bit different.

My perception is that Funimation was actually slow to the digital distribution method, VoD, and even a dedicated anime channel. CPM, ADV, and others beat them to a lot of the newer venues (ADV, now Sentai, in particular beat Funimation to all three, IIRC). This was especially true when they were under Navarre.

The hits to the industry have been more about other companies refusing to identify the market within the US, and further refusing to adjust their strategy to match that (Bandai is a great example of this). Some companies were just the victims of bad luck or management, and some just decided to go a different route (AnimEigo, for example still does a bunch of stuff, but 90% of it is live action).

One thing I do have to give Funimation is that their business people are very observant to the market and move accordingly. Sometimes they move a bit slower and have to play catch up, but they seem to do a good job of researching, and so far it's paid off.
It's not really about which company got the most high tech soonest, since getting in the game first is not always the most advantageous, usually it is but I think there are many other factors involved. At least there are ones that appeal to me, and Funimation just has always missed the mark, to me, in delivering the variety I like, the marketing approach and the sense that they truly care about the artform and fans, not just their money.

I watched that video someone posted about how the Anime Industry is dying (watch it I highly recommend it) and I cringed east time the commentator mentioned ways to support the industry and cited Funimation as one of them. One can only spend their money on so many anime sources and I think my contribution is satisfactory, I pay dues to Crunchyroll each month, I shop at Right Stuf and I've been buying Aniplex releases as they've been dishing them out. I also am working on getting a digital manga subscription once I find a legit site that releases gender bender titles (and writing them to encourage them to do so). I give my all to help keep the anime industry alive and I don't think avoiding Funimation is having a negative affect. It's my money and those Funinazis are not getting any of it. And that's that.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I shop at Right Stuf and I've been buying Aniplex releases as they've been dishing them out. I also am working on getting a digital manga subscription once I find a legit site that releases gender bender titles (and writing them to encourage them to do so). I give my all to help keep the anime industry alive and I don't think avoiding Funimation is having a negative affect. It's my money and those Funinazis are not getting any of it. And that's that.

Funinazis?

Just a question...When you shop at RightStuf do you buy shows that are licensed by Funimation when they're on sale?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Past wrote:
I shop at Right Stuf and I've been buying Aniplex releases as they've been dishing them out. I also am working on getting a digital manga subscription once I find a legit site that releases gender bender titles (and writing them to encourage them to do so). I give my all to help keep the anime industry alive and I don't think avoiding Funimation is having a negative affect. It's my money and those Funinazis are not getting any of it. And that's that.

Funinazis?

Just a question...When you shop at RightStuf do you buy shows that are licensed by Funimation when they're on sale?
Never. I own a total of 4 Funimation DVDs and 2 of those I don't recall actually buying, and the other 2 I bought them second-hand from amazon, etc.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
It's not really about which company got the most high tech soonest, since getting in the game first is not always the most advantageous, usually it is but I think there are many other factors involved. At least there are ones that appeal to me, and Funimation just has always missed the mark, to me, in delivering the variety I like, the marketing approach and the sense that they truly care about the artform and fans, not just their money.

I watched that video someone posted about how the Anime Industry is dying (watch it I highly recommend it) and I cringed east time the commentator mentioned ways to support the industry and cited Funimation as one of them. One can only spend their money on so many anime sources and I think my contribution is satisfactory, I pay dues to Crunchyroll each month, I shop at Right Stuf and I've been buying Aniplex releases as they've been dishing them out. I also am working on getting a digital manga subscription once I find a legit site that releases gender bender titles (and writing them to encourage them to do so). I give my all to help keep the anime industry alive and I don't think avoiding Funimation is having a negative affect. It's my money and those Funinazis are not getting any of it. And that's that.

There's a difference between avoiding a company because you don't like their titles (which is what you just stated here), and cheering for the downfall for one of their lines of business.

So which one is it? You still haven't answered the question about how they're keeping other companies out of the industry. If you don't have an example of them doing this, then it simply comes off as sour grapes because they don't distribute the titles that you think they should.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4