• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Romance Anime of all Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ah My Goddess is unreservedly one of the top 5 Anime/manga romances to come out of Japan. but Mr Fujishima seems to have run out of ideas were to take it. The resent plots have been mostly about either bike races, or the love life of Banpie. Rolling Eyes
It's nice to see that Mr. F can draw various models of motor vehicles, and the odd historic aircraft, with intricate detail, but it's a bit off the original plot, and starting to look like he's stretching, or gropping to either avoid the subject of romance between Bell and K1, or has just run out of ideas which way to take it. I don't think Mr. F is a married man. Wink

I like it that he does that, simply because unlike many other contemporary writers, he knows how to tell a great story. I love how his world is so vast, and that one story arc may look at the conflict between gods and demons, then the next is about a bike reace, and they are both equally entertaining. I think he didn't want to make romance the focus because he knows he can only take it so far. If romance was the focus of the manga, he would have to inject drama into it and shorten it, and change the whole feel behind the story. Thats why I don't think OMG! is that much of a romance, as it is about friendship and wonderful storytelling.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I think he didn't want to make romance the focus because he knows he can only take it so far. If romance was the focus of the manga, he would have to inject drama into it and shorten it, and change the whole feel behind the story. Thats why I don't think OMG! is that much of a romance, as it is about friendship and wonderful storytelling.

That gives him more scope and material to work on. Which is a great thing I say.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote
I'll had to what Kagemusha had to say by stating this - Fujishima shows the level of his storywriting ability in presenting Keiichi and Belldandy as a functional loving couple. It's pretty easy to make a romance story out of dysfunction, as the ten tons of shoujo manga/series out there can demonstrate. It's easy to drag out the story when two characters don't know how they feel about each other (i.e. Keitaro and Naru) or when forces are keeping two characters apart (i.e. Kaoru and Aoi) or when the characters have to hide their emotions (i.e Kei and Mizuho).

But when the two characters are openly in love with each other, their relationship is relatively uninhibited, and the characters around them support the relationship. It becomes difficult to keep the quality of the series together, because conflict comes from elsewhere in the "universe" of the series, but Fujishima keeps it together masterfully without compromising the goodness of what he originally gave us. A nice guy, an extraordinary woman, and their love for each other.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
Ken Hayashi wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
I definitaly think that Voices of a distant star is my favorite romance anime i have seen.

it made me cry Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

It is too short, and does not have enough character development. Still, it IS a good romance story. It has so much potential to be BIG, all it needs is to have the story expanded into an OVA at least.

I actuly think that it was good short. if it wasn't; if it was an OVA then it would be wiered. the little information just adds to the story, if they show a happy ending then its not that great, but if they open ended it; its kick arse

I personally feel they deserve a happy ending. But that's just my opinion, which doesn't count very much does it?

Well, spoiler[they actually had a happy ending, the alien stated, You will see him soon, and nobaru said "i nailed that armada duty..." Crying or Very sad ]

Sorry About the spoiler guys. Neutral
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I think I missed that part out. I was kinda shagged after a day's work. Gonna go back and watch it again. Thanks for the tip.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
No mention of Kimagure Orange Road at all in this topic yet? Horrible. That's as good as it gets, for the most part. It is, by far, my favorite romantic anime... and I've seen a good number of them. Maison Ikkoku and Oh! My Goddess are both very good, but even those I'd put just behing KOR.
KOR! How could I have forgotten KOR! Shocked Yes KOR, the OVA, is right up there as one of THE classic anime romances and must be seen, especially both movies. Wink
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote
Sankyuu wrote:
Emm...
The best romance anime for me are...
- Vision of Escaflowne
- Ranma 1/2
- Rurouni Kenshin : Reminaiscene (OVA)

I have never herd of the rurouni kenshin: Reminaiscene.
Whats it about?
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
When I was younger I really thought Sailor Moon was really romantic towards the ends, expecially S and SuperS. But Ai Yori Aoshi is the new best romance anime I've seen. I haven't seen the other ones you all mentioned...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Inu_Yasha_jr. wrote:
When I was younger I really thought Sailor Moon was really romantic towards the ends, expecially S and SuperS. But Ai Yori Aoshi is the new best romance anime I've seen. I haven't seen the other ones you all mentioned...
Open your heart to their brilliance. Wink
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Mohawk here, junior. No time like the present to acquaint yourself with the grand classics.

Kimagure Orange Road and Oh! My Goddess (the OAV's, superior to the movie) may be difficult to locate as they are Animeigo releases, however as Animeigo releases the quality is near irreproachable.

Maison Ikkoku is a Viz release, and it as well is a bit tricky to find (anything older, even if its Rumiko Takahashi, is tricky to find these days) but it's also well worth it.

However, the older Tenchi series are now easy to find thanks to Pioneer's re-release under the Signature Series banner. Tenchi Muyo is the OAV series (#1 in quality), then you have the two TV series, Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo. The TV series are sort of "alternate universe" so the characters get their pasts and motives changed around and events don't happen in quite the same manner and so on.

Basically get the OAVs.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Whats it about?

Tsuioku-Hen (追憶編) can be roughly translated as "reminiscence."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
Whats it about?

Tsuioku-Hen (追憶編) can be roughly translated as "reminiscence."

Actually, tsuioku (追憶) alone translates as "reminiscence". The -hen (編) part translates as "a compilation, a completed poem, a book or part of a book".

In other words, 追憶編 = "A collection of reminiscences"

I it were me translating the title, I'd take a few poetic liberties, and call it Rurouni Kenshin: The Book of Memories.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:30 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I like it that he does that, simply because unlike many other contemporary writers, he knows how to tell a great story. I love how his world is so vast, and that one story arc may look at the conflict between gods and demons, then the next is about a bike reace, and they are both equally entertaining. I think he didn't want to make romance the focus because he knows he can only take it so far. If romance was the focus of the manga, he would have to inject drama into it and shorten it, and change the whole feel behind the story. Thats why I don't think OMG! is that much of a romance, as it is about friendship and wonderful storytelling.
Which is what I'm pointing to. It started like a romance but now is forgetting all that and has become too spread in focus. He doesn't appear to be writting from any romantic experience, which is why I questioned if he was married. There is the plot line of K1 and Bell getting married. How would K1 introduce Bell to his parents. How will Megumi take knowing the truth about the Goddesses? (Though I find it incredible that she is that thick not to have guessed something is odd about them. spoiler[ If they could expose themselves to Sayoko, why not Megumi?] ). Then there is the other house to deal with. How would K1 go about asking Bells "Father" for her hand in matrimony? What if he refuses for whatever reason? How will Skuld deal with all this? I could go on, and on, but I won't as you should have got the idea by now. Being a married man I had to face a similar situation. but on an earthly plain of course. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:16 am Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"]spoiler[ If they could expose themselves to Sayoko, why not Megumi?]

When did this happen? I thought I had read all the OMG stuff (at least that's been available in the States, anyway) and do not remember this happening.

Of course, the most recent story arc to be released in the States is "Sora Unchained", so if it happens sometime after that. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Innotech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Saikano and Ai Yori Aoshi are hte favorites in my collection.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8