• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Romance Anime of all Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
In fact, while you're at it, can you tell me why I'm having to explain these things to you? What exactly went wrong in that part of your upbringing where they were supposed to have taught you that this sort of negative stereotyping only leads to bad things?

Political correctness. To Mohawk52: it is not because a widower has read your post and feel offended, but it is because of your stereotyping action and lack of respect to those people you are not related to. Even if (imaginary) 99% of widowers are perverts, what you have said offended the remaining 1%.

Please get back to the subject about romance anime before this thread gets locked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hakootoko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quote
I can't believe how many times AyA got mentioned in this thread, when other shows are being ignored...

I stopped watching AyA when it turned into a harem show, after the blond girl appeared. I still bought the first dvd, though, because I really liked the first 3 episodes Anime hyper

Marmalade Boy hasn't been brought up yet, maybe because it hasn't gotten much of an official release yet. It follows one main couple and two sub-couples through a couple of years of high school. A friend used to say it was better than MI, and I used to disagree with him, but have since decided that's really comparing apples to oranges; the shows have different intentions. It's subtext is a bit disturbing ("it's proper to try to break up a couple, because if you succeed, they were never meant to be") and it suffers from the "let's go to America" effect.

Child's Toy starts more as a comedy than a romance, but becomes more of a romance as the show goes on. Everyone should be forced to watch the first 19 episodes and left to decide whether to watch the rest of the series : )

Other Ghibli movies have been mentioned here, but not Omohide Poroporo / Only Yesterday. A romance develops as a woman helping in the countryside on holiday remembers her childhood.

And just so people don't think I'm ignoring shounen romance, I'll plug Onegai Teacher. There are a couple of annoying bits in the show (such as the last two episodes), but you do see the characters grow from a marriage of convenience to love.

Video Girl Ai would have been more romantic had they made more than 6 episodes, but even so the groundwork of Ai and Yuuta's relationship is spelled out.

hakootoko
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:43 am Reply with quote
I would have mentioned Only Yesterday if it made any sense. Blame it on the translation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Since we're back on track, and talking about romance anime that fall outside the standard mold (thanks, hakootoko), I think it may be worthwhile to mention Rizelmine. As strange as it is, this is definitely a romance.

It's also a comedy; a robotic-lover story; a satire; a lolicon-infested quagmire, and a number of other things - but nobody who has seen the entire series (particularly the last few episodes) can deny that it is a romance story that works very well, indeed.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I find this kind of stereotyping to be seriously annoying.
Your problem not mine. Rolling Eyes
Quote:
Can you explain to me precisely why it is that you are so willing to brand a widower a likely pervert? Are you even aware of how offensive that term is? And why is this in any way different from the (equally obnoxious and unfortunately frequent) idea that all widows are "hot to trot"?
Is this a multiple choice question, or essay?

Quote:
In fact, while you're at it, can you tell me why I'm having to explain these things to you? What exactly went wrong in that part of your upbringing where they were supposed to have taught you that this sort of negative stereotyping only leads to bad things?

- abunai
A bit OTT me thinks. Rolling Eyes Look, I don't know how old you are but that statement tells me you don't seem to have much experience with society at large. My up bringing has taught me that it takes all kinds to make a world out there. Once one has experienced the life of matrimony and all that goes with it, it takes a strong will to not want to experience the pleasures of all that again. I never said that 99%, or any percent, of widowers, or widows for that matter are total sex perverts. And perversion is a very generic term that can mean many things that's all down to one's interpretation. Nobuyuki is a widower. It was stated by kainzero that he acts like a pervert, not me. I said "I'm told that being a widower sometimes has that affect on some men." Single men are single men and sexually act accordingly one way or another, some married men too but I digress there. And don't preach to me about Political Correctness. That's just puritanical bollocks and I won't have it. Your angst is getting the better of you. Razz

I love romantic anime. KOR is brilliant. There, back on topic again. Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Don't say you weren't given the chance to drop this...
Mohawk52 wrote:
Look, I don't know how old you are but that statement tells me you don't seem to have much experience with society at large.

That's unintentionally hilarious. You've really made my day with that remark. Thank you. Laughing

Mohawk52 wrote:
My up bringing has taught me that it takes all kinds to make a world out there. Once one has experienced the life of matrimony and all that goes with it, it takes a strong will to not want to experience the pleasures of all that again.

That statement tells me that you've never been married. You really don't have the first idea what marriage is like.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I never said that 99%, or any percent, of widowers, or widows for that matter are total sex perverts. And perversion is a very generic term that can mean many things that's all down to one's interpretation. Nobuyuki is a widower. It was stated by kainzero that he acts like a pervert, not me. I said "I'm told that being a widower sometimes has that affect on some men." Single men are single men and sexually act accordingly one way or another, some married men too but I digress there. And don't preach to me about Political Correctness. That's just puritanical bollocks and I won't have it. Your angst is getting the better of you. Razz

This translates as: "I'll say what I damn well please, no matter what. And if you are offended, it's your fault. In fact, everything is your fault anyway, since it cannot possibly be mine. " From personal experience as the father of three boys, I estimate that it equates to the level of maturity and politeness displayed by an average six-year-old.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Mohawk52 wrote:
My up bringing has taught me that it takes all kinds to make a world out there. Once one has experienced the life of matrimony and all that goes with it, it takes a strong will to not want to experience the pleasures of all that again.

That statement tells me that you've never been married. You really don't have the first idea what marriage is like.
Mmm. Not the way I read it. I got 28 years on my matrimonial clock mate, with two tweenees as well.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I never said that 99%, or any percent, of widowers, or widows for that matter are total sex perverts. And perversion is a very generic term that can mean many things that's all down to one's interpretation. Nobuyuki is a widower. It was stated by kainzero that he acts like a pervert, not me. I said "I'm told that being a widower sometimes has that affect on some men." Single men are single men and sexually act accordingly one way or another, some married men too but I digress there. And don't preach to me about Political Correctness. That's just puritanical bollocks and I won't have it. Your angst is getting the better of you. Razz
This translates as: "I'll say what I damn well please, no matter what. And if you are offended, it's your fault.
Glad to see you got a clear channel there mate. Wink
Quote:
In fact, everything is your fault anyway, since it cannot possibly be mine.
Your the one who got all stroppy about it and tooted your trumpet.
Quote:
" From personal experience as the father of three boys, I estimate that it equates to the level of maturity and politeness displayed by an average six-year-old.

- abunai
Some mother's do have 'em. Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I said "I'm told that being a widower sometimes has that affect on some men."

What a coincidence. I was told that "some people who have a net ID begins with Mo and ends with 52 are SoB."

Huh? You said you feel offended? First, I was told by someone else; I didn't create that statement. Second, only some of them; that doesn't mean you. And third,

Mohawk52 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Your problem not mine.

Now, report this post and lock this thread, please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I said "I'm told that being a widower sometimes has that affect on some men."

What a coincidence. I was told that "some people who have a net ID begins with Mo and ends with 52 are SoB."

Huh? You said you feel offended? First, I was told by someone else; I didn't create that statement. Second, only some of them; that doesn't mean you. And third,

Mohawk52 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Your problem not mine.

Now, report this post and lock this thread, please.
I hope that was therapeutic for you. Appeared a bit petulant to me. But who cares? Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Guys, you're straying waaaay off topic here. And it's starting to sound like personal attacks now. Neither has a place here.

For hakootoko: If you didn't see AyA past the introduction of Tina, then you missed out on some really good romantic content. Granted, it's almost buried amongst the filler at times, but it's worth wading through the rest of it for the good moments - especially the last three episodes of the first season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Guys, you're straying waaaay off topic here. And it's starting to sound like personal attacks now. Neither has a place here.
I couldn't agree with you more, and I apologise for that on my part.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Key's right on Ai Yori Aoshi, Hakootoko. Yes, when Tina was introduced I too shuddered as if the series had just flushed itself down the crapper.

However, after they took a few episodes to play around in cathartic fanservice, we started to find out that not only was the romance between Kaoru and Aoi growing and developing, but we were starting to see that the supporting characters had some surprising depth to them as well. It's actually quite surprising the emotions that are written in Tina's character. When we really get into the series, it's revealed that her persona is a product of spoiler[self-loathing for not being born a Japanese woman in a Japanese society and for having such desirous feelings toward Kaoru. As also shown in the manga, she asks to her non-present parents "Papa, Mama, I'm sorry. Your daughter's a terrible person".]

In all honesty, Ai Yori Aoshi has been - since the moment I first saw the Pioneer preview - a beautiful, touching, sweet hearted series that entertains and delights to no end.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Key wrote:

I have no wish to prolong this. I accept your apology, and offer mine in return.

- abunai
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Key wrote:

I have no wish to prolong this. I accept your apology, and offer mine in return.

- abunai
I thank you. Wink
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Alright, alright, none of this bickering, okay? Get back on topic or this thread is locked.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8