• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Romance Anime of all Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maclam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Yea that is exactly why i love that romance serie above all others... because it's the best in it genre.... but what i'm trying to say is that kind of girl is rather rare or almots inexistant... and if it does exist... the chance to get one of those are kinda slimm Smile

But back to the main subject.... other really sweet romance anime.... i wonder if anyone of you here watched

LADY OSCAR...

it's an anime that talk about france revolution in 1789... the romance in that serie is one of the best out there and probably one of the most touching...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
Maclam wrote:
But back to the main subject.... other really sweet romance anime.... i wonder if anyone of you here watched

LADY OSCAR...

it's an anime that talk about france revolution in 1789... the romance in that serie is one of the best out there and probably one of the most touching...

This is an anime series? Never even heard of it. How old is it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:49 am Reply with quote
Lady Oscar is also known as The Rose of Versailles, and I think it's from the late 70's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
I really find it interesting that so many people find Aoi downright offensive as a character, and most of it due to the fact that she is a very traditionally feminine character.

Very readily, I can just sense a lot of hostility towards the very idea that she's a woman who cooks, cleans, and wants nothing but to make her love happy. "Sexist" is the word on the tip of the naysayers' tongues. Kou Fumizuki has created the wet dream for male chauvinistic pigs everywhere, that's what folks want to say.

Well, to me it's strange that for a character created to this "ideal" she's been crafted as such a capable, strong-willed, and well rounded character. Throughout the series, it's made very clear that Aoi is the one keeping everyone functioning. Her presence is intended to be uplifting, soothing, and caring. She's a healer and a peacemaker, and as Kaoru himself says in the manga while looking at her while she slept sick in bed "Her hands are so tiny, yet they keep the whole household in order". Later in the same scene he says to her "Really, when I think how I have such a fantastic person as my fiancee I'm baffled by my own luck."

Aoi Sakuraba is cut from the same cloth as Belldandy of Oh! My Goddess and Kyoko of Maison Ikkoku. Indeed, I'll daresay that's better company to keep than to be in the same class as Naru of Love Hina.
Maclam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:08 am Reply with quote
gfrog you got this anime is soo hard to get on dvd in fact i dont even know if it's available in dvd Sad

I started to atched Lady oscar back when i was around 5-6 years old since they an episode every tuesday.... but then it disapear and never heard of it again till i lately i manage to ask a friend to make a copy from her tape that she bought off e-bay and those tape were copied also....the original one is so hard to get...

Also gfrog if you've seen it i would like to have some feedback from you since very few people know of this anime...

As for Aoi Sakuraba... i really have nothing against her, and i do love her character... and the fact that she cook, clean and do anything for Kaoru just makes me envy this guy even more...and yes she's probably an ideal girl... at least for me Smile

We've been talking a lot about Aoi, but what about Kaoru.... this guy ain't bad don't you think.. he is so gentle and seem kinda lenient, but we gotta admit he loves Aoi above everything else, and I love how this serie makes it stand out even more... i mean everything between those 2 seem soo mysterious, but yet so honest...How Kaoru talks to Aoi, how they smile, how they kiss...everything sound so simple and then again sooo complicated... i think those 2 really deserve each other Smile
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It's not available on DVD. Maybe in Japan, but I doubt even that. I saw fansubs (but we're not allowed to talk about that here). I actually didn't watch that much of it, as there were other things that I wanted to see more at the time. I will get around to watching the entire thing all the way through one of these days, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I love Aoi Sakuraba, period!

And speaking of Kaoru, I feel that his leniency or reluctance to reject or disappoint, gets him in awkward situations at times. Like how he fails to reject Mayu's advances (I still don't like Mayu). He allows himself to be misunderstood. Maybe it's because he can't reveal his relationship with Aoi but there are still ways with which he can turn down another girl's advances. It is this part of him that gets on my nerves sometimes. And it's his luck that Aoi is such an understanding person that she does not get mad at him. But having to put her through such anguish, that's maddening.
Maclam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
I love Aoi Sakuraba, period!

And speaking of Kaoru, I feel that his leniency or reluctance to reject or disappoint, gets him in awkward situations at times. Like how he fails to reject Mayu's advances (I still don't like Mayu). He allows himself to be misunderstood. Maybe it's because he can't reveal his relationship with Aoi but there are still ways with which he can turn down another girl's advances. It is this part of him that gets on my nerves sometimes. And it's his luck that Aoi is such an understanding person that she does not get mad at him. But having to put her through such anguish, that's maddening.

I love Aoi too, but that's exactly what i'm trying to say.... it's incredibly hard to get such an understanding girl...if not impossible Smile
Freshgrease

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I haven't seen too many, but I'll definately say Kare Kano is one my favorites, aside from its abrupt ending.

I liked Love Hina the series a lot the first time, but I lost interest during a 2nd viewing. The X-Mas Special, however, is top notch. It cuts down a lot on the slapstick and fanservice, delivering a very quaint romance scenario.

I didn't find too much romance in RahXephon the series, but the movie did a much better job, in my opinion.

Fushigi Yuugi is very soap opera-ish, but still pretty good at some points of the show. It's probably the best action/romance series I've seen (but that's not saying much since I haven't seen a lot Razz).

I'm really eager to see Oh! My Goddess and Maison Ikkoku some day. I hear they're excellent. Smile
Yeah I really Like LOve HIna alot. But I didn't get tired of it....yet.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Maclam wrote:
.... it's incredibly hard to get such an understanding girl...if not impossible Smile

Of course it is. Tell me about it! Crying or Very sad

But we can dream about it. Wink
Maclam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
Freshgrease wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
I haven't seen too many, but I'll definately say Kare Kano is one my favorites, aside from its abrupt ending.

I liked Love Hina the series a lot the first time, but I lost interest during a 2nd viewing. The X-Mas Special, however, is top notch. It cuts down a lot on the slapstick and fanservice, delivering a very quaint romance scenario.

I didn't find too much romance in RahXephon the series, but the movie did a much better job, in my opinion.

Fushigi Yuugi is very soap opera-ish, but still pretty good at some points of the show. It's probably the best action/romance series I've seen (but that's not saying much since I haven't seen a lot Razz).

I'm really eager to see Oh! My Goddess and Maison Ikkoku some day. I hear they're excellent. Smile
Yeah I really Like LOve HIna alot. But I didn't get tired of it....yet.

I watched the whole Love hina serie and all 3 movies...hmmm it was ok i guess. The main reason i didn't like this serie all that much would be Keitaro the main char.... this guy definitly lack confidence and he's kinda weak both in personnality and physically...I much prefer Chitose Hototose from Happy Lesson which is a much better serie in my opinion Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:44 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I really find it interesting that so many people find Aoi downright offensive as a character, and most of it due to the fact that she is a very traditionally feminine character.

Very readily, I can just sense a lot of hostility towards the very idea that she's a woman who cooks, cleans, and wants nothing but to make her love happy. "Sexist" is the word on the tip of the naysayers' tongues. Kou Fumizuki has created the wet dream for male chauvinistic pigs everywhere, that's what folks want to say.

Well, to me it's strange that for a character created to this "ideal" she's been crafted as such a capable, strong-willed, and well rounded character. Throughout the series, it's made very clear that Aoi is the one keeping everyone functioning. Her presence is intended to be uplifting, soothing, and caring. She's a healer and a peacemaker, and as Kaoru himself says in the manga while looking at her while she slept sick in bed "Her hands are so tiny, yet they keep the whole household in order". Later in the same scene he says to her "Really, when I think how I have such a fantastic person as my fiancee I'm baffled by my own luck."

Aoi Sakuraba is cut from the same cloth as Belldandy of Oh! My Goddess and Kyoko of Maison Ikkoku. Indeed, I'll daresay that's better company to keep than to be in the same class as Naru of Love Hina.
This is very beautifully put and I congratulate you for it. It has reminded me of just how lucky, and blessed a man I am. Wink
Royal78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
umm... Lets see, best romance anime.... Well Love Hina and Marmalade Boy are excellent, anime and manga. The stories are entrancing, the characters are beautiful, like you can relate to their pain and love.... They are really masterpieces.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Koyo wrote:
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien gets my vote!

Based on? Personally, I heavily disagree with you, but I'd like to see your reasons for liking it so much before offering up any sort of reply.

ac_dropout wrote:
Please save my earth. Now that's a romance.

I haven't seen Please Save My Earth, so I can't comment, but the same thing still applies to you. Please explain your reasons so that discussion can occur on the discussion forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Err, normally you aren't allowed to resurrect threads more than a month old, much less 2.5 years old.

And Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is probably just as well-known now in the U.S. under the name Rumbling Hearts.

[EDIT: Whoops. Apparently you guys saw his post before I deleted it. Oh, well... -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8