• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Disappearance Diary

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Jason.

Excellent choice, thanks. I love this manga and wish we had more of his works available in translation.

By the way you write "picking wild radishes and cabbage" Go back and take a look at those pages. Those "wild" vegetables are growing in very neat rows. This is part of the humor I like about this work.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
Jason.

Excellent choice, thanks. I love this manga and wish we had more of his works available in translation.

By the way you write "picking wild radishes and cabbage" Go back and take a look at those pages. Those "wild" vegetables are growing in very neat rows. This is part of the humor I like about this work.

I noticed that! But *he* calls them "wild", so who am I to argue? ^^ At least it's not like the time he steals food from another homeless person.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, Jason, now you got me wanting to buy another manga here! First Dodekain, now Disappearnace Diary... This sounds like such a wrong thing to write about, at least in the comical way Azuma does it, but at the same time it sound absolutely hilarious.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Disappearance Diary is one of my favorite manga - possibly of all time, maybe in the top ten or top five. I love autobiographical comics. Sometimes the author's diary pages are my favorite in any given fiction manga.

That said, I heard that I'll Give it My All…Tomorrow is based on a true story. When I buy copies of I'll Give it My All…Tomorrow I feel vaguely responsible, like if I don't buy them the author will have to keep working at McDonalds. I had an undergraduate I work with read that one, and she liked it, but I felt bad... like was this inspiring or discouraging a young artist?
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Great review. Life is stranger than fiction, isn't it?

Quote:
The second lesson is, people's lives can take them to bad places. Someone should draw a dojinshi named Bakuman.: 20 Years Later.

I wonder if someone in Japan or anywhere in the world did it. Nah, they're too busy doing escapist stuffs like tons of naughty versions.

Disappearance Diary is a good manga to have. I re-read it from time to time.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
This is probably a very good manga, but I guess I'm not that interested in biographies (auto or otherwise). In fairness this is probably in part because there are so many awful cash-in auto/biographies released by/about celebrities, but I read almost exclusively fiction (along with some feminist and other rights-related and social conscience stuff and science books every now and then, but I haven't read any of those in a while).
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although he does admit he likes loli manga: in one panel set in 1979, he and a bunch of other male artists band together to make loli dojinshi, vowing "We'll drive yaoi out of Comiket!"

Epic Fail! So much for drawing what you like, eh?
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Quote:
Although he does admit he likes loli manga: in one panel set in 1979, he and a bunch of other male artists band together to make loli dojinshi, vowing "We'll drive yaoi out of Comiket!"

Epic Fail! So much for drawing what you like, eh?

Well, it's not like Comiket doesn't have loli, 30 years later. >_> Underneath the surface of seas of yaoi are all kinds of weird and creepy guys' stuff. Pervy men's manga lives on!!
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
This column always makes me want to read so much. And sometimes dwell in memories.

This manga sounds really interesting (and a little unique), so I think I will just grab it from amazon these days.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to add that I think this is really a manga about alcoholism and depression, not homelessness.

He spends most of the manga homeless, and there's tons of scenes of him going through trash and stuff, but he's not homeless because he's poor; he's homeless because he's a depressed alcoholic. That part of the story might be more universal than homelessness, which (thankfully) not as many people have experienced.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
I love this manga and wish we had more of his works available in translation.

Though Azuma Hideo may have become known to foreign readers mainly via Disappearance Diary, Disappearance Diary is very accessible, for Azuma. (So the authorities could give an award to it.)
Yamamoto Naoki, who compiled Azuma Hideo Best Selection, compared manga by Azuma in the Yakekuso period and the Absurd period, which are his essential works, to Yamashita Yōsuke's free jazz.
I wonder whether those manga will be accepted by foreign readers, including editors and translators.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1