Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TG72



Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 334
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
Two things sank 'Milos' for me:

1. Horrible dialogue. The Funimation crew gives it the old college try, but sadly they had very little to work with.

2. It throws off the storyline of the series because spoiler[Ed and Al already know about the final ingredient for the Philosopher's Stone. For both versions, there's not enough of a gap for this story to take place.]

Hopefully the upcoming Brotherhood OVAs will balance this movie out..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uguu



Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 216
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
daichi383 wrote:
sounds like shingo yamashita did some work on the movie then since most stuff he works on generally gets bagged on in terms of artistry (Naruto shippuden 167 for example).


I believe that he also made the action sequences that I so loved in Birdy the Mighty: Decode 02. If what he was criticizing about the artistry is anything like that, then it makes me more curious about this film.


Same here, his work is always fluid but artistry sometimes suffers if his work isnt properly corrected.

This wasn't a movie that was meant to stay on-model at all times. It's blatantly obvious that the action scenes were meant to be loose and show off each animator's style, and it was like this from the get-go. Nothing stood out as out-of-place because there was no single style for the action scenes that they *occasionally* strayed from; the entire movie was very loose.

Which I guess means 'poor artistry' for some reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15937
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
This wasn't a movie that was meant to stay on-model at all times. It's blatantly obvious that the action scenes were meant to be loose and show off each animator's style, and it was like this from the get-go. Nothing stood out as out-of-place because there was no single style for the action scenes that they *occasionally* strayed from; the entire movie was very loose.

Which I guess means 'poor artistry' for some reason.


If the issues I complained about were just limited to the action scenes then I might have give the visuals some more leeway (although I hate that approach as an artistic style). But they aren't. You can see them in the regular artistry, too, in simple, nearly static scenes such as the distorted designs of characters standing in the background when Julia was talking to Al in the cell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsieczkar



Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 139
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I saw the movie at WFAC 2011 and it was easily the worst of the films shown at the event. I found the dialog to be bad, the artwork was inconstant, and the plot seemed forced. The movie suffers from trying to create a plot without anything that would retcon part of the show, which never works out right. It really did remind me of the DBZ movies as both were purely money grabs for an established franchise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uguu



Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 216
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
uguu wrote:
This wasn't a movie that was meant to stay on-model at all times. It's blatantly obvious that the action scenes were meant to be loose and show off each animator's style, and it was like this from the get-go. Nothing stood out as out-of-place because there was no single style for the action scenes that they *occasionally* strayed from; the entire movie was very loose.

Which I guess means 'poor artistry' for some reason.


If the issues I complained about were just limited to the action scenes then I might have give the visuals some more leeway (although I hate that approach as an artistic style). But they aren't. You can see them in the regular artistry, too, in simple, nearly static scenes such as the distorted designs of characters standing in the background when Julia was talking to Al in the cell.

"Distorted designs" that tends to happen in a lot of anime, it can be hard to draw characters on model when they're very far away from the camera. There's really brilliantly animated stuff like Gurren Lagann where this also happens. Occasionally they try to fix this by drawing detailed characters, minimizing them and putting them in the background but that looks TERRIBLE. It didn't happen that often in this movie anyway.

Generally the art during the normal scenes was fine (unless you're REALLY bothered by the character redesigns) and the sketchy look fit the action scenes. I think the biggest problem might not be the quality of movie itself but the fact that they went for a different art style, kind of like One Piece movie 6.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tcl4Z2meRU#t=1h19m20s the action scenes were full sketchy distorted stuff, and the slower scenes also looked pretty sketchy:



Both movies had great animation staff, and both are pretty different from what the franchise normally looks like. To be honest I like the One Piece one far better (it's top 10 material for me), but Milos looks pretty good too. And both had super sketchy art for characters that were far away from the camera.

I know you hate your style and I'm not trying to change your mind, just offering a different perspective.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R315r4z0r



Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 691
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
Did either of the TV series suffer from poor artistry to this degree? No they didn't. That's why it's a perfectly legitimate complaint about this movie.

If there was nothing to compare it to then it could be brushed off as simply design decision... but that isn't the case. There are two separate TV series with which to draw comparisons to and this movie obviously falls short of what was expected.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
uguu



Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 216
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Did either of the TV series suffer from poor artistry to this degree? No they didn't. That's why it's a perfectly legitimate complaint about this movie.

If there was nothing to compare it to then it could be brushed off as simply design decision... but that isn't the case. There are two separate TV series with which to draw comparisons to and this movie obviously falls short of what was expected.

So just because it's an art shift and not an original work it can't be an artistic decision?

I totally understand that it's hard to deal with a pretty big change after years of FMA but your point is very strangely worded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ausdoerrt



Joined: 27 Oct 2008
Posts: 481
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Because it looks, at least subjectively, worse than the series. If a movie - and movies tend to have higher budgets and less tight schedules than the series - struggles at least to keep the same level of quality, it makes me cringe. And Milos comes off a sloppy many times throughout the movie.

The shots you posted from the One Piece movie don't really change anything. It does look like the typical "let's save some money here" design expected of a cash-in movie x for a never-ending shounen series y. Except, that's not the standard of quality that FMA fans are used to. While FMA may be typed together with the rest of the typical shounen series, its animation design history and circumstances are completely different. So for all purposes, comparing anything FMA to some of the worst-looking series on the market is apples and oranges.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
UltimaShadowfax



Joined: 03 Mar 2004
Posts: 275
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
I'm puzzled by the comparisons to Dragon Ball movies a bit. The DBZ movies play out like any of the story arcs in the series; in fact some of them just copy elements and characters from the series themselves. But no one is watching those movies for the story. No one really cares if the movie's stories are out of place or they interfere with established canon. Viewers just want to see some good fight scenes, and in that regard, those films deliver.

Fullmetal's original story is a well-crafted plot, and allows for few, if any, sidetracking. While the series did have its arcs, for the most part it is a continuous narrative, a series that is really only one because it is divided into chapters. Any film adaptation is going to be judged primarily by its story and character arcs, and where it fits into the overall story of the Elric brothers' quest.

You could make a strong argument that the Sacred Stars of Milos is a better film than any of the Dragon Ball Z movies. You would have a tough time arguing that it is more satisfying and enjoyable than them though.

I would be much more comfortable comparing DBZ films to those of Pokemon, Naruto, One Piece, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
uguu



Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 216
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Because it looks, at least subjectively, worse than the series. If a movie - and movies tend to have higher budgets and less tight schedules than the series - struggles at least to keep the same level of quality, it makes me cringe. And Milos comes off a sloppy many times throughout the movie.

The shots you posted from the One Piece movie don't really change anything. It does look like the typical "let's save some money here" design expected of a cash-in movie x for a never-ending shounen series y. Except, that's not the standard of quality that FMA fans are used to. While FMA may be typed together with the rest of the typical shounen series, its animation design history and circumstances are completely different. So for all purposes, comparing anything FMA to some of the worst-looking series on the market is apples and oranges.

Actually that One Piece movie is by Mamoru Hosoda, the guy behind The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Many people with knowledge of drawing and animation will tell you that it's one of the most visually impressive and creative things to come out of the franchise. It has wonderfully striking, atmospheric visuals and a lot of scenes that are just really technically impressive (and also a good plot, but that's not the current topic).

Speaking of Mamoru Hosoda... have you ever looked at The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? I mean... actually LOOKED at it properly. It has lots of the same type of sketchy, messy drawings. Just look at these shots:
http://i.imgur.com/Br3rq.jpg (the people in the background)
http://i.imgur.com/1hMnz.png
http://i.imgur.com/Z4rpR.jpg

And you know what? That doesn't matter, because it's still an absolutely beautiful movie with some of the most mind-blowing visual acting out there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15937
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:


Speaking of Mamoru Hosoda... have you ever looked at The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? I mean... actually LOOKED at it properly. It has lots of the same type of sketchy, messy drawings. Just look at these shots:
http://i.imgur.com/Br3rq.jpg (the people in the background)
http://i.imgur.com/1hMnz.png
http://i.imgur.com/Z4rpR.jpg

And you know what? That doesn't matter, because it's still an absolutely beautiful movie with some of the most mind-blowing visual acting out there.

I disagree. I certainly noticed those artistic quirks when I watched TGWLTT and they bothered me just as much there as they did in this FMA movie, enough so that I wouldn't give TGWLTT a high grade for artistry, either. Defend that all you want as being beautiful, but I see it as sloppiness.

But then, I don't appreciate Shin-chan's artistry, either, and no one will ever convince me that it's not ugly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai



Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 1028
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
uguu wrote:


Speaking of Mamoru Hosoda... have you ever looked at The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? I mean... actually LOOKED at it properly. It has lots of the same type of sketchy, messy drawings. Just look at these shots:
http://i.imgur.com/Br3rq.jpg (the people in the background)
http://i.imgur.com/1hMnz.png
http://i.imgur.com/Z4rpR.jpg

And you know what? That doesn't matter, because it's still an absolutely beautiful movie with some of the most mind-blowing visual acting out there.

I disagree. I certainly noticed those artistic quirks when I watched TGWLTT and they bothered me just as much there as they did in this FMA movie, enough so that I wouldn't give TGWLTT a high grade for artistry, either. Defend that all you want as being beautiful, but I see it as sloppiness.

But then, I don't appreciate Shin-chan's artistry, either, and no one will ever convince me that it's not ugly.


Having just reviewed the title myself, I could find even worse examples than that. I never noticed how so many scenes really looked until I had to go digging for screenshots, some faring better than others. However, with the relaxed, slice-of-life style and feel of the movie, it wasn't terribly distracting or out-of-place most of the time. It really depends with the type of anime and the style in which it is done. The non-key animation scenes in Code Geass R1, for example, can a downright embarrassment to watch due to the harder and less-relaxed look of the series . I've sort of downgraded TGWLTT's level of artistry since then, but I still consider it high enough due to the way the film was done. I can understand the sentiment, but if the film's a particular way and isn't incredibly wreckless with its artwork, I can give it a reprieve.

But, if Milos and TGWLTT didn't agree with you artistically, Key, what do think about this upcoming film? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15937
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
But, if Milos and TGWLTT didn't agree with you artistically, Key, what do think about this upcoming film? Laughing

Definitely a different style. Hardly my favorite but a step up from the worst elements in Milos and TGWLTT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911



Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 456
Location: US of East Coast
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I went out of my way to see this in a theater last month, and man, what a disappointment. Apart from some admittedly sweet animation (that werewolf transformation scene was pretty whoa), everything else about it is utterly, painfully mediocre in every way conceivable. It's everything you'd fear a crapped-out franchise spinoff film to be. Say what you will about Conqueror of Shamballa, at least that was more than just a transparent money-grab.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
barrelroller



Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 104
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
I saw this at the premiere down at Otakon 2011 last year. I was thrilled that they made an FMA Brotherhood movie. After seeing it, it was alright, I thought it was more violent then it should of been. Not that I have a problem with it, but some scenes, I was like "Did that really just happen?"

Seeing at Otakon also made the experience pretty crazy. The line was a crowd. People were screaming and clapping at the weirdest things. And if I remember correctly, the director was in the room watching it with us too. Before the movie he said this was around Episode 26ish, but I could be wrong. It's been six months since then so it's not exactly fresh in my mind. A guy asked the audience after the movie if it was better than the first FMA movie and everyone thought it was.

I'll buy it on Blu Ray when it's out... it was different from Brotherhood, but I liked it. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group