• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach TV Anime Ending on March 27

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
JadeTora wrote:
Sir I suggest you look up two words in a dictionary.

"Sarcasm" and "Opinion", I believe you need help understanding both.

Ooh, ooh, while we are suggesting looking up words and phrases, "sarcasm fail" is a good one.
Andros0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I'm not gong to attack anyone personally, but generally speaking yes, if someone expresses genuine lament at a series like Bleach going off the air, I'm going to assume they lack taste.

I still don't get the hate that is piled upon Bleach fans Confused
(not saying you are hating, just the hate in general)
"Most of us" aren't saying Bleach was a continually ground-breaking series or that it's the ultimate #1 show ever, but for many of us it was a comfortable habit. The show has been on for almost 8 years and for much of that time, we've been watching it. So yes, some of us will lament the end of an era.
aereus wrote:
It's very tried-and-true Jump formula and Ichigo is such a terribly written main character. Everyone else practices for hundreds of years and he's magically better than them in a couple of months. Then he fights you with his Shinigami-Hollow-Visored-Fullbring-Jellydonut powers...

I also don't really see the issue here. You admit it's a "tried and true" formula yet disparage it anyway.
The whole concept of the MC popping onto the scene and surpassing the old-timers is fairly basic in fantasy of any form be it anime, novels, movies, games, etc. (As to how well Ichigo is written, that's a matter of opinion, but let me point out again... the anime aired for almost 8 years and the manga is still going after 10).
Of course not everyone likes the show, that's why there are other options available to you... we haven't had the equivalent of the Restaurant Wars in anime (not all restaurants are Taco Bell nor is all anime Bleach).

On a general note:
IMO to try and compare 366 episodes to 12 or 24 is inane.
Using the math of the modern anime world, it was on for what, 29 "seasons"? Of course there are going to be "better" and "worse" arcs and storylines over the course of a decade.
You're not a fan if you stop watching the hometown team when they lose a game or fail to win the championship; same rule applies here.
JadeTora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
JadeTora wrote:

Ooh, ooh, while we are suggesting looking up words and phrases, "sarcasm fail" is a good one.

Hey yeaah, you're right. It does seem like you need help understanding that one too. Good onya for taking initiative, kiddo!
JadeTora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Andros0 wrote:
aereus wrote:
I'm not gong to attack anyone personally, but generally speaking yes, if someone expresses genuine lament at a series like Bleach going off the air, I'm going to assume they lack taste.

I still don't get the hate that is piled upon Bleach fans Confused
(not saying you are hating, just the hate in general)
"Most of us" aren't saying Bleach was a continually ground-breaking series or that it's the ultimate #1 show ever, but for many of us it was a comfortable habit. The show has been on for almost 8 years and for much of that time, we've been watching it. So yes, some of us will lament the end of an era.
aereus wrote:
It's very tried-and-true Jump formula and Ichigo is such a terribly written main character. Everyone else practices for hundreds of years and he's magically better than them in a couple of months. Then he fights you with his Shinigami-Hollow-Visored-Fullbring-Jellydonut powers...

I also don't really see the issue here. You admit it's a "tried and true" formula yet disparage it anyway.
The whole concept of the MC popping onto the scene and surpassing the old-timers is fairly basic in fantasy of any form be it anime, novels, movies, games, etc. (As to how well Ichigo is written, that's a matter of opinion, but let me point out again... the anime aired for almost 8 years and the manga is still going after 10).
Of course not everyone likes the show, that's why there are other options available to you... we haven't had the equivalent of the Restaurant Wars in anime (not all restaurants are Taco Bell nor is all anime Bleach).

On a general note:
IMO to try and compare 366 episodes to 12 or 24 is inane.
Using the math of the modern anime world, it was on for what, 29 "seasons"? Of course there are going to be "better" and "worse" arcs and storylines over the course of a decade.
You're not a fan if you stop watching the hometown team when they lose a game or fail to win the championship; same rule applies here.

Me myself as a fan of the show, Manga and current Arcs I liked Bleach almost the whole way through but I kind of saw this coming. I mean Rurouni Kenshin back in the day was pretty popular and it got cancelled because of filler.

Honestly I never watched any of the filler past the Bount Arc, when the Bount Arc ended I took a firm stance of 'no more filler ever again', I wavered a little during the Amagai Arc and watched only a very little bit of that before quickly deciding that I shouldn't have weakened and moving away from Bleach again but still..

You know I wouldn't even mind if they'd just put Bleach on hiatus until they could continue the series with canon material rather than filler but I mean.. Yeah.. The amount of filler and the filler stories are ridiculous and uninspired.

However I can't agree that Ichigo was 'too strong' or 'overpowered', not when one of the most popular Anime out there is Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z where in the former of the two an old man with a Battle Power of roughly over 200 could destroy the ENTIRE FREAKING MOON with a single wave of energy and the later of the two featured characters who could annihilate entire galaxies with a single motion (literally, it's actually done in the Broly movie) now that is over powered.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
JadeTora wrote:
agila61 wrote:
JadeTora wrote:

Hey yeaah, you're right. It does seem like you need help understanding that one too. Good onya for taking initiative, kiddo!

Young lad or lass, I would take it you are attempting to cleverly suggest that my remark was revursive, which is to say an example of #SarcasmFail itself ~ except that since the remark you were responding to was not sarcastic, that couldn't be it.

But although the meaning of your comment is entirely obscure, I'm sure that you got me. Ouch!

Going back to your original comment:
aereus wrote:
I think this could be a good thing. Perhaps people will begin to look "farther afield" for new shows to watch and broaden their horizons.

I don't see Toriko catching on quite like Bleach has. It has an entirely different dynamic going on as far as storytelling goes. Fairytale is of course in a different magazine, and IMHO is a more of a hangers-on type show to the Big3. The writing isn't very inspired, copied art style, etc.

JadeTora wrote:
Implying everyone who watches Bleach are so shallow?
What is with the wide sweeping generalizations everyone seems to want to peg on people who watch and like Bleach? [/quote]
First you have to find where aereus or someone else actually says that, since the remark you quote makes no such claim.

And this is the internet, so you ought to be able to find someone saying something as silly as that ~ so the fabrication ought to be entirely unnecessary.

Quote:
Seriously.. Just because something doesn't appeal to your personal tastes does not mean that everyone that likes it is some shallow-minded classless idiot lacking completely in taste.

What does that have to do with aereus expressing an opinion that Bleach is shallow? Since someone does not have to be shallow to enjoy a show that is shallow, then turning it around, someone saying that in their opinion a show is shallow does not imply anything about "everyone" who enjoys the show.
Colonello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
.. It is now 1 year, 82 days, 17 hours ago that Bleach has been cancelled,.. and nothing happened.. I still hope and pray that Bleach will come back..
Has anyone here news why Bleach has been cancelled?
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
Not a good idea to revive such an old thread but might as well answer now : it had terrible tv ratings (in the 1-2% range) and its dvd sales (which were initially very good for a day-time anime) were declining and becoming quite bad.
Colonello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Colonello wrote:
.. It is now 1 year, 82 days, 17 hours ago that Bleach has been cancelled,.. and nothing happened.. I still hope and pray that Bleach will come back..
Has anyone here news why Bleach has been cancelled?

Not a good idea to revive such an old thread but might as well answer now : it had terrible tv ratings (in the 1-2% range) and its dvd sales (which were initially very good for a day-time anime) were declining and becoming quite bad.

Do you think that Bleach will come back?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Colonello wrote:

there is really no way to know for sure. all anyone can do is speculate, and the rules don't allow that
Colonello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean with "and the rules don't allow that"?
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Colonello wrote:

Impossible to tell. There are lots of examples of anime getting cancelled with different scenarios happening afterwards : some get cancelled and never return, some get a new adaptation for the rest of the material, some get OVAs and then a reboot, some get only OVAs etc. In general though, I would suggest not getting your hopes up, consider it permanently cancelled until anything suggests otherwise.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Colonello, please read our policies about necroposting and speculation.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12