• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Gets Kurokami Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
Who cares about "manhwa", right? Laughing
(Yeah, yeah, it's published in Japan. But if an American publishes in Japan, is it considered manga? Wink )

What's a bit funny is that it's airing in Japan at 2:40am, in Korea at 10pm, and in the US at 8pm local. Japan will be airing it worse than Adult Swim! The US has it primetime! Laughing
(Yeah, yeah, of course it depends on what type of TV network too - TV Asahi has more marketable primetime shows while ImaginAsian TV is a collection of niche shows.)

Lastly, won't all the voices be considered originals instead of dub-overs? If they're all dubbing at the same time on pencil tests, then not one is considered ahead of the others to base from, right? Very Happy

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
this is going to be such a huge failure in the US...they are essentially implying last minute/impromptu dubbing, which means no drama, lack of emotions, and thus we're going to get dull like characters for a series that could potentially be amazing.

Historically, many anime has been done that way. There were old stories of Macross voice productions being finished just the night before its weekly TV broadcast - and I don't see many people complaining about the results. Confused

Besides, they're dubbing on pencil test footage - that's the preliminary drafts before the finished animation. So that gives them time to do the voice-acting right while the animators work on finishing the animation.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Dang it, I was hoping it was being put onto Hulu or CR. There went my hopes, and the likelihood of me watching it. I don't get the station, and even if I did...I hate watching TV. Although I won't benefit from this, it's nice to see that they're doing something to knock off a point for fansubs....though I'm not entirely sure if doing it by limiting it to a station that it seems few people have is really the way to do it.

Um, as someone else said, this will only encourage fansubbing, though for a different reason. The "day-and-date" market is usually scrambling for subs, not dubs. And being as Bandai is not making a subtitled release available, I can assure you there will be fansubs, though since it's now licensed, they will be of extremely questionable quality.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I'm laughing at the absurdity of Bandai's marketing strategy. Announce the Broadcast of an anime shows that's being shown simultanously on an anime channel that virtually nobody has heard of and that nobody can get access to?

AHAHAHAHA

Let me start over ... Bandai should be shamed of itself ... this was lame @#$ weak marketing.

I blame Bandai for this absurd marketing strategy. Usually, when an anime distributor, who specializes in releasing DVD's, not in anime broadcasting, makes an announcement, we expect an announcement regarding DVD releases.

Just another example of Bandai failing to capture the thunder.

Bandai, next time you decide on an announcement, make sure that it's a DVD release and not a broadcast. I don't know of anyone who is familiar with iaTV. I know I've never heard of it.

.....First of all don't be a tool, second of all learn something about the way the media market works and stop trying to give advice about something you know absolutely nothing about, third of all this actually makes sense as opposed to what Bones had going with Xam'd on the PSN, which seems more counterproductive to getting their product exposed than anything. Bandai's goal is most certainly to get maximum exposure with their anime so that it will sell better when the time comes to put it on store shelves.

They've been pretty experimental lately in finding ways to reengineer/reinvent the struggling anime market, more or less pioneering the increasingly popular (with anime studios and producers that is) split season format among other things, and now it seems that they are trying to tap into multiple markets all at once in what looks like an attempt to further consolidate and globalize their position in the anime market. Video games are now getting worldwide simultaneous releases, so I don't see why they can't try the same with anime. If it proves ineffective and they lose money then I'm more than sure they won't be trying it again for a long time.

I see what they are trying to do here (market research, advertising, globalization all in one) and I have to say it's a hell of a lot more sensible than what some other companies are trying to do in going further and further down the road of doujinizing their products to cut costs and make a quick buck.
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
No one's pointed out the crazy hodgepodge of dub VAs this series has gotten. In addition to Bandai's standard pool of Bang Zoom (California) actors, they also got 4Kids (New York) & FUNimation (Texas) actors involved in this series as well. Crazy stuff.

Laura Bailey actually is working in California now. She lives there.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
About the TV station issue, I'd also like to point out that Black God has spoiler[rape, some pretty extreme violence, women being abused/choked for disciplining in a light-hearted manner, young girls getting run over by buses,] and other sorts of mature content. So perhaps not all stations would be willing to air something like that, at least not in an 8:00 PM time slot.

And you think that Japanese TV is going to show that too? I'm betting it airs censored like Ga-rei Zero.

it depends on the channel. Ga-rei Zero is also aired in uncensored form on Japanese TV. In fact, an increasing amount it seems is aired in multiple versions with varying levels of censorship. Strike Witches for example had two broadcast versions. We got the most censored version btw.

anyways, about iaTV I also find it perplexing that they would use such a tiny medium to delivery a large scale production like this. I'm also looking foward to the DVDs (if priced right) but am disappointed they haven't set a date. I also want to know about the release format: individual discs after 4 eps have aired or in boxset form? If boxset, then will it be released after the season's over or sooner?
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
*sighs* For every "it's another high school anime whine post I read during the first episode of this.. it couldn't be avoided if they didn't change it from the manga.

GATSU wrote:
That was underwhelming.

Dear N. American anime industry. No one cares about those Korean hybrids, because they generally come off as wannabes only slightly better than American knock-offs like Avatar. They may be cheaper than Japanese productions, but that's because there's not much thought put into the writing. If you're going to go for something artsier, then give us Mind Game, Nasu, and other niche titles which probably cost as much to license, but which at least give you some value for your money in the form of strong word of mouth. Thanks for listening. Sincerely, Anime Fan bored with the endless derivative cash-ins.

This was a pretty retarded post but coming from GATSU that's to be expected.

1/ Kurokami is indeed made by Koreans but it's released in Japanese for the Japanese. It's mag is Young GanGan (Square Enix).

2/ It's being produced by Studio Sunrise who are Japanese if you don't know and going by its PV its animation is off a nice level, better than most airing this season. Cheap Korean knock off my ass...

3/ The level of writing in KuroKami is actually better than the majority of similar stuff in the genre.

And Unbalance X Unbalance from the same Korean author is better than any harem anime released this decade but hey it's Korean so it must suck right? IM Dal Young is putting out some great stuff, I hope Kurokami leads to more studios picking up his works especially Unbalance X Unbalance, though Aflame Inferno is another one I'll like.
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
What's a bit funny is that it's airing in Japan at 2:40am, in Korea at 10pm, and in the US at 8pm local. Japan will be airing it worse than Adult Swim! The US has it primetime! Laughing
(Yeah, yeah, of course it depends on what type of TV network too - TV Asahi has more marketable primetime shows while ImaginAsian TV is a collection of niche shows.)

More people are probably watching TV Asahi at 2:40am than IAtv at any time during the day.

Westlo wrote:

2/ It's being produced by Studio Sunrise who are Japanese if you don't know and going by its PV its animation is off a nice level, better than most airing this season. Cheap Korean knock off my ass...

Most animation studios are outsourcing to Korea at this point...
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Westlo wrote:

Most animation studios are outsourcing to Korea at this point...

I know that... it's pretty obvious when you look at the credits for some shows, seems Gonzo and Madhouse are using them the most though even shows like Macross Frontier has had outsourcing to Korea (and the Phillipines!).

But you know that Gatsu isn't talking about outsourcing like this right?

Last edited by Westlo on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Oh great! Didn't see this getting a release here. Not to mention a simultaneous (dubbed) televised release. Looking forward to this. If this show turns out good I definitely want to pick it up. Oh who am I kidding. I might do that anyway. Again this is great news.
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Simultaneous Blu-ray release too please Bandai!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
This would have been great news if it were on a channel people actually have. I also know TV-rips will be available 0 day after airing, but I'd rather watch the Japanese language version anyway.
manga-lyfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Black sunday at Downtown Independent (in Los Angeles) was AMAZING! free anime, grab bags (toys,t shirts etc) and posters. The Q and A's/meet and greats were fun as well. Plus, loads of dvds for sale (5 for 10 dollars or 3$ each) Too bad no one really showed up. A disappointment in the anime fandom community (in my eyes). Much respect to Bandai and the Downtown Independent theatre for holding such a fun event. I hope they have a event like this again.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh my pizza!! Kurokami's not even OUT YET and Bandai GOT IT?!? This is getting REALLY strange!
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
godofchaos wrote:
Bandai is announcing it as a first time ever thing, but they outdid themselves a half decade ago on this front. SD Gundam Force Season 1 before the Japanese got it.

Wow, that brings back some memories.

SD Gundam Force was, without a doubt, the 2nd worst selling Anime of all time in R1. In 12 years the only title I can remember people being less interested in was probably AWOL from back in the VHS days.

Hope to see Kurokami on DVD sometime this spring. Laughing

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not all that interested in this series (and I don't get IATV to boot), but the concept of a simultaneous dubbed airing is pretty darn cool. I hope it works out well for Bandai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6