• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
I agree with the C on the music, it was really generic and I didn't remember a single piece even after watching an episode.
I don't agree with the rest so much (I'd give it a B- or C+ myself), but your points are definitely valid.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
I can pretty much agree with the review here. First season was just...there. It didn't do anything to wow or amaze me at all. Everything was predictable from start to finish and the characters weren't very appealing. I just remember feeling rather "blah" after it.

A's was a nice improvement. Given how underwhelmed I was with the first season it's amazing I watched the 2nd, but it actually seemed to hit its stride here and the pacing felt right.

Didn't bother with StrikerS because it seemed way too generic and from what I've read "monster of the week"-ey, which just isn't my kinda show.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Third-grader Nanoha consistently acts in ways that are at direct odds with her professed age, voicing with adolescent gravitas Tsuzuki's anime platitudes about the nature of friendship, family, and other things that no eight-year-old ever pores over. The relationships he crafts are simultaneously too sophisticated for his under-aged cast and too formula-bound to qualify as mature.

YES. THANK YOU. I have always struggled with articulating just why Nanoha is an excruciatingly terrible character to watch, but this sums it up nicely. There is not a single thing about her that feels genuine in any way.

I couldn't stand her, and I thought pretty much the entire first series was garbage except for one or two episodes. I really enjoyed A's, though. Mainly because the series only improve the less time they spend on Nanoha.
Shockz0rz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
I would respond with a coherent and well-thought out rebuttal to pretty much every point in this review, but a torrent of sheer unbridled rage overheated most of the brain cells necessary for doing so.

That aside...having read about Nanoha before I actually watched it, I was pleasantly surprised at how little loli fanservice there was. It could've been MUCH worse, frankly. (And Fate getting whipped was supposed to be fanservice? Shocked I haven't watched it in a while, but the way I remember it...you'd have to have a pretty messed-up mind to see it as such.)

Ignore the transformation sequences and just enjoy the cuteness and beamspam, for chrissake.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Nanoha, although the series has been at the back of my mind lately as a possible new endeavor. Problem is, I was worried that this wouldn't be the kind of series I'd enjoy. Then comes this review, which served to confirm my suspicions. I now know that this series definitely is not for me, and for that I thank you, Carl. Henceforth, I will be avoiding the Nanoha series like the plague. I'm no pedobear and I don't want to encourage the possibility of becoming one in the foreseeable future.

azumax wrote:

Those kids need to GROW UP. Seriously. It's things like this that make me feel ashamed to be a fan of the very same medium as such immature pricks. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Machius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with this review on almost all points. That said Nanoha is still a level above all other mahou shojo anime series(baring those by CLAMP and Mahou Shojotai Alice(aka Tweeny Witches)), there may be significant loli overtones but at least it has something that tries to go beyond the sickenly sweet aspects which smother almost all other series in the genre
JonnyLaserty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
Magical Girl - best anime that i have seen late time Very Happy
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
Machius wrote:
I have to agree with this review on almost all points. That said Nanoha is still a level above all other mahou shojo anime series(baring those by CLAMP and Mahou Shojotai Alice(aka Tweeny Witches)), there may be significant loli overtones but at least it has something that tries to go beyond the sickenly sweet aspects which smother almost all other series in the genre

Check out Princess Tutu, it's very different from any magical girl show I have seen.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
For me the series was a magical girl show, sure there are henshin, but it's not like they show you anything DIC didn't already back in the mid 90's watching Sailor Moon who for the record was only 14 when the show started and 16 when it ended and lord knows the amount of hentai drawn about that show.

Or, you know, you could compare Nanoha's with, say, Chibi-moon's first henshin sequence; seems a more fair comparison.

But even then there's all sorts of "subtle"[1] differences of angles and framing and poses that let us say, pretty categorically, that the henshin sequences of Lyrical Nanoha are constructed with an eye to sexualising the protagonist in a way that the henshin sequences of Sailor Moon simply aren't.

I mean, seriously, any more sexualised and it'd be Shamanic Princess.

[1] Subtle like a kick in the nuts.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
So this is what happened when a moe hater writes a "objective" review of a moe anime. Sad, very sad. That does not change the fact that Nanoha is a wonderfull show, but hey, if you feel beeter about trashing it, fine by me.

To the fools who say "it's for pedobear": so that mean ANY anime with lolis is for pedobear, right?

To the fools who say Nanoha is not a geniuine feeling character: she's a magical girl.......OF COURSE she's not genuine.

You dissapoint me Carl, a lot. You are most likely THE ONLY ONE who saw Fate's whipping as fanservice, and you are pretty messed for it. The normal reaction to that scene, that I and all my friends had was "Precia you ^&%&$&^&^& piece of shit BITCH!!!!!!!!". THAT is the correct reaction

Edit: Actually. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha is made from Lyrical Toybox, that is an omake episode of Triangle Hearts - Sweet Songs Forever, that is a non ero continuation of an ero-game, Triangle Hearts Three, who had an omake episode in witch Nanoha and friends appered, including the adult StrikerS version (she was paired up with Chrono)

Last edited by DmonHiro on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Those kids need to GROW UP. Seriously. It's things like this that make me feel ashamed to be a fan of the very same medium as such immature pricks. Rolling Eyes
Let's keep the discussion focused on the show and the review, shall we? As opposed to the alternative, "ANN vs. Anon Round #73841." If you have a problem with the attitudes of a given group of fans, I'd suggest telling them directly, rather than taking potshots from afar. (And I'm NOT saying "go fight Anon on their own turf," merely that criticism of another community of fans doesn't belong in this thread.)
Quote:
Even its production is steeped in otaku trivia (it's a spin-off of an adult series based on a computer game).
I thought it was a spin-off of Triangle Hearts ~Sweet Songs Forever~, which unless I missed something, was not an adult series. So technically MGLN would be a spin-off of a spin-off of an adult series based on a computer game.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I'd normally agree that they need to grow up, but I can actually understand where they're coming from, given the reviewer's non-existant professionalism and antagonistic tone that shows a blatant lack of effort to minimize his own biases in writing the article. It's a complete joke.

It's pretty clear that the reviewer dislikes or has zero interest in otaku/moe-themed titles. It's one thing to inform us about who it caters to or what genre it belongs to, but to hold it against the show is a whole new story. I read reviews because I'm hoping to buy it and I want to make sure if its quality (as in animation, sound, voice acting, story, packaging, entertainment value and music) is good enough to justify a purchase, not to read about some guy on the internet whining about the moe subculture: If I wanted to do that, I might as well go onto some random anime fan's blog. I read a review because I'm interested in the title as well as what it has to offer, and I want to learn more about it: As a site that actually earns profit, I fully expect its staff to have the same type of interest/open-mindedness towards the titles they're assigned to review.

It really doesn't make any sense to me: If a reviewer lacks any sort of interest in the genre of the show he's reviewing, then why does he have to waste his time reviewing it in the first place? It's about as logical as having a game reviewer review a sports game when he hates playing sports games.

ANN seriously needs to diversify its staff and have its reviews go through a more extensive editing/approval process: I swear, even IGN's reviewers tend to show a little more restraint with their own biases than here. At least they don't use outlandish phrases like "moe overkill" (refer to ANN's Kanon V1 review) or judge a game by whether it happens to be an RPG or an FPS. No wonder why AoD reviews tend to be treated more seriously than the ones over here.

Last edited by grgspunk on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:25 am; edited 9 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
Wow. No wonder Geneon went under, if that's the best they could license. Rolling Eyes
Case

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That the series is marketed to fanatical anime fans isn't an inherently bad thing—after all series like director Akiyuki Shinbo's own Pani Poni Dash! are aimed at basically the same audience—it's just that Shinbo and writer Masaki Tsuzuki are so busy parading all of their favorite visual and narrative elements that they forget to actually entertain.

I have to be brutally honest and say that it sounds like Carl is feigning knowledge of these two individuals' creative influences, hoping that no one knows better.

Shinbo is one of my all-time favorite anime personalities, and his unique style of direction makes Le Portrait de Petit Cossette one of my top 5 anime of all time. I've taken great pleasure in viewing 11 of his 37 works listed in the Encyclopedia, and I can't say I've noticed him having a peculiar sense of humor. If anything, based on his contributions to Cossette, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, Moon Phase, and Soul Taker, I'd say his characteristic style is anything but comical. (I haven't seen Pani Poni Dash, but based on the credits I'm not sure why Carl refers to it as "his own". It has an original creator and scriptwriters, Shinbo isn't credited as anything except director. I'm not sure why PPD's odd sense of humor would be to the director's credit.)

As for Suzuki's S&M fantasies: the only credits I find on record for him are Nanoha, which we're discussing now, and Triangle Heart, which Nanoha spun off of. Not sure how we are able to draw conclusions about his disguised fantasies from that alone... Confused
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
ANN seriously needs to diversify its staff and have it's reviews go through a more extensive editing/approval process

Anyone with any background in literary or critical theory, pretty much anyone who's actually able to write a review that goes beyond "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" will come to the same conclusions: Lyrical Nanoha has some deep, deep, deep thematic, structural, and content problems, and because of that cannot be uncritically recommended to anyone.

Which isn't to say that any random person won't enjoy it. Clearly some people do, but, equally clearly... a lot of people don't. And because of the high possibility that a random person won't enjoy it terribly much -- I'm sure you'll agree that there's a lot of people who will say publically they didn't enjoy Nanoha -- it cannot be uncritically recommended; a review has to reflect the possibility of this negative experience as much as it must reflect the possibility of a positive experience like yours.

Which, well, this one does. As someone who has, presumably, already seen Nanoha and made up your own mind, you are not the audience for this review. Any review. Reviews are for people who haven't seen the series.

Are we clear? The fact that there's a lot of negative sentiment about Nanoha itself demonstrates the accuracy of this review. There is a very high possibility that any random viewer will not enjoy the show, and the review has to reflect this. Which it does. Any competent review, any competent reviewer, would say exactly the same thing.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13