• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha DVD

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
It does raise a kinda legal issue though. Technically it could be considered slander/libel (always get em mixed up) to accuse a person of S&M fetish.

That piece in particular seems really out of line and the type of statement that could get ANN in trouble if it is ever brought to his attention.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Horrible choice of reviewer for this title. It's basically like getting Adolf Hitler to review an illustrated children's version of the Torah.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I'm going to answer the omoikane's post real quickly, since I'm starting to feel like my posts are a little tl;dr and i want to avoid too many quote boxes:
-ANN's typical review format always lists the music in the review, but a lot of the reviews skip over it unless it's particularly good or particularly bad. A "c" is an average review, and since anime really has more to do with the animation than the music (unless it's something like Beck), I don't really see why the music needs to go into too much detail, since it doesn't impact how good or bad a show is typically. (If it was reviewing the *soundtrack*, it'd be different.)
-I don't see how comparing a show to a good show means it can't get a bad grade, so I don't get the point you're going with the CCS comparison at all. Particularly since you didn't answer my question on if that was Carl's rating for CCS in the first place. Carl listed his reasons *why* the story was given a low grade: he thought Nanoha wasn't convincing as a girl, he thought it pandered too much to fans, that it used the same old plot twists without doing anything new with them, and the characters weren't developed beyond being archetypes. Those are valid criticisms.
-If there's actually an instance of fanservice every episode...then that *is* a little disturbing, considering the age of the main characters. That seems like a valid criticism, too.

Thanks for the reply. Just really brief:
1. thanks for the note on music. I guess to someone who normally don't read reviews here that is not clear.

2. CCS is like, the gold standard to magical girls shows. Pretty much most anime, let alone magical girls shows, will pale and compare unfavorably to CCS. The point I was making is that just because Nanoha is worse than a A-grade anime, doesn't make it D. In other words, it's not convincing to put it next to CCS. Maybe you can say that Carl think CCS sucks and is really a C anime, but I don't get that from reading this review.

3. Not all the fanservice is on the two main characters (Alph is pretty cool) and again, some of these fanservice scenes are not really fanservice unless you think they are. The whipping scene, for example. Or the transformation sequences. It's definitely not your average fare.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Horrible choice of reviewer for this title. It's basically like getting Adolf Hitler to review an illustrated children's version of the Torah.

...does it make me horrible if I'd kinda want to see that?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
It does raise a kinda legal issue though. Technically it could be considered slander/libel (always get em mixed up) to accuse a person of S&M fetish.

That piece in particular seems really out of line and the type of statement that could get ANN in trouble if it is ever brought to his attention.

OK, you guys are starting to spin out of control with this. Everything that could be said about this review has pretty much been said and we had one guy come in and really provide his own perspective without trying to make Carl look like the antichrist or fling around paranoid fantasies about the evil ANN moe conspiracy.

For the most part the conversation was pretty civil so that's a nice change of pace but I think 12 pages is enough. Time to move along.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13