• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New FFVII Game Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:27 am Reply with quote
Yea, but the FFVII franchise is so popular that it'll guarantee to turn a large profit. There is a much smaller group of FFVII haters than there are in any other FF iteration.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:
Yea, but the FFVII franchise is so popular that it'll guarantee to turn a large profit. There is a much smaller group of FFVII haters than there are in any other FF iteration.

I'd say the smallest groups of hate were any of the first 4 US releases. FF1, of course, was the first. Its main competition was the Dragon Warrior series, rather than anything else, and it fared well in the States.

FF2/4j came as such a significant improvement over FF1 that there was, basically, no comparison. The magic system, the combat system, the graphics, the storyline.. EVERYTHING was superior for FF2/4j over FF1. Likewise, few people argued that NES games were superior to SNES games, because the SNES did basically the same things as the NES, just more and better. IOW, if you didn't like FF2, you probably didn't like FF1 either.

FF3/6j carried fewer improvements; combat was basically the same (although a few attacks based on timers and key combinations existed), graphics were improved and the storyline grew bigger. Of course, at this point you began to see a divergence between the FF2 crowd and the FF3 crowd; some people preferred having fixed parties, and who didn't like seeing EVERYONE get magic.. but it wasn't significant.

The progression from FF1 to FF3 was clear; the 16-bit SNES did everything the 8-bit NES did, and more.

The improvements were not so clear between FF6 and FF7. FF7 had high quality movies, 3D graphics and terrain, and lengthy load times, a new mechanical settings, and debuted on a non-Nintendo system. This created a number of conflicts between fantasy vs sci-fi/mecha, Nintendo vs Sony, 2d vs 3d, cartridges vs cd-roms and more. None of these issues existed in the earlier FFs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
*goes back to playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time*

Heh, I hear you. But I wish they would have just made Advent Children into a game. I love FF7, and its my favorite story in the series (second in gameplay to 3/6), but I don't think they should continually milk it. Oh well, I'll buy it anyways.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Cookie, I'd still say that FFVII did better than the first 4, although I did forget about them when I made my earlier post. The sales of FFVII definitely outweighed the sales of any of the first 4, in proportion to the market sizes.

Still love playing those games...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
I've played almost every RPG ever released here in the states and FF7 is probably the best RPG ever concieved. It got a ton of people who wasn't interested in RPG to actually play and love rpg. The material feature was way better than the "draw" feature. Plus the world of FF7 was really well done. spoiler[My favorite part Flash back part on the moutain path, using Sephiroth].

Erhmmm... materia.

Personally, the battle system is one of the reasons I think FFVII is highly overrated. The materia system is no more than spell casting and summoning at a very very basic level. Many of the games before had similar or much better magic systems (mmmmm... magicite & espers.). FFVIII's draw system was probably one of the most unique methods of magic and summoning of heck, almost any RPG out there. And it worked pretty well too.

And about the depth of the world and making new RPG's, ther are a few good reasons for that. First off all, it was Square's entrance into the world of 3-D Final Fantasy, which was a major thing which attracted both hardcore fan and newcomer. It's natrual that the 3-d world attracted people, as it was decently good.

Materia, my bad. Actually I was thinking of that but just spell it wrong. Havn't played it for 7 years. All I can remember about the draw system was that you had to sit there and draw stuff forever from enemies. A lot of the FF fans hated that feature, even the journalist and game media (EGM, PSM) too. Also do you think Squall is a bishounen since he wear tight leather pants and have long wavy hair? He's definitely more attractive to the female than a super deform cloud. Something the female can't resist.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Materia, my bad. Actually I was thinking of that but just spell it wrong. Havn't played it for 7 years. All I can remember about the draw system was that you had to sit there and draw stuff forever from enemies. A lot of the FF fans hated that feature, even the journalist and game media (EGM, PSM) too. Also do you think Squall is a bishounen since he wear tight leather pants and have long wavy hair? He's definitely more attractive to the female than a super deform cloud. Something the female can't resist.

Lol, Cloud was my first videogame guy crush. Razz His SD form wasn't so hot, but all those nice little pictures in the booklet gave girls the idea. That plus nice pretty bishi Cloud in Advent children featuring perhaps the most sexy guy seiyu voice around... yeah, Cloud's bishonen.

Squall character design was based off Japan's ultimate real life bishonen, Gackt. *don't believe me, check out his Illuminati outfit*
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I think that Final Fantasy VII is a great game and one of the best RPGs of all time and I'm glad that it's getting another installment. However, I'd much rather see a proper sequel with all the characters (except the dead ones Wink ).

P.S. Now how about a real sequel to "Chrono Trigger"?
Tsushima Masaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
After hearing the news of expanding the FFVII franchise, I shook my head. Overrated or not, I disliked FFVII. Many factors may have contributed to this, such as playing it right after playing FFX (and playing it about 6 years after it's initial release), but I didn't get what all the hype was about.

Enter Final Fantasy VIII, my first Final Fantasy experience, I fell in love with that game. There were some obvious plotholes and flaws, and yes, I agree the romance was on the cheesy side, but I loved the characters, and the environment, the setting, the music. It would be nice if they remade FFVIII with more emphasis on the secondary characters (Quistis, Zell, Selphie, Seipher, Irvine, etc.) instead of making them flat characters, only setting up for Squall and Rinoa.

The Draw and Junction System was unique, and one of my favourite systems. Although it discouraged you from actually casting magic (well, you could still draw cast magic), it fit nicely.

There were some rumours that FFVII-IX were all getting makeovers until the FF Movie flopped.

To me, FFVIII has the most potential gain for being expanded, improved and tweaked. But I guess the romance isn't for everyone (I'm a sucker for love Embarassed ).

Now... when will Parasite Eve: Rebirth actually come to pass???
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger/Cross. All great games. I have to say honestly I wish Square would focus on some of their other series instead of Final Fantasy. Used to be only one game a year or so for FF, and now they seem to be striving for two to three.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:33 am Reply with quote
I just rented Front Mission 4 from Square Enix, and that is a series they should put some more effort into. It has wonderful gameplay and an interesting storyline, but there's something lacking from it. If they put some time into it, the series could really be amazing.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:47 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger/Cross. All great games. I have to say honestly I wish Square would focus on some of their other series instead of Final Fantasy. Used to be only one game a year or so for FF, and now they seem to be striving for two to three.

You can always read the original novel that Parasite Eve was based upon.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

You can always read the original novel that Parasite Eve was based upon.

I hear that's what the movie was based on, and if that's true I'm not really that intrested in it. >.<
Fayde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:33 am Reply with quote
I know alot of people are against this as many people believe it is ruining an old "masterpiece." But I would really like to FF7 as well as the other older FF titles like 4 and 6 re-made using graphics on the par with FFX. Of course keeping all the original storyline and only slight improvements on the dialogue (in cases of the older games that had rather simplistic dialogue)

I've played these games for years and it would be great if others of the younger generations would get into those games as well... but the fact is that they won't because now days a game has to have awesome graphics to be considered playable. And lets face it, graphics sucked back then. They may be classics to us, but that is all.

I also dont see improving upon a classic as ruining it either. And I really can't understand how others can... but to each his or her own perogative I suppose.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Alright, first I'm going to hit on what news is known about the game (since Gamespot doesn't say much, and ANN usually never posts much in news articles anyway Razz) Right now not much is known about the game itself or it's game play, other than it takes place one year after the events of FFVII:Advent Children (which places it three years after the events of FFVII), and that it starts Vincent. Also, there is some speculation that the game play might be not be in tune with normal Final Fantasy game play. The game is expected to come out some time late 2005, and there will be more information on it at the Tokyo Game Show. If you are interested in finding more information on the game (and images from it) your best bet will be to head over to AdventChildren.net which has been posting news on the FFVII Compilation games (and usually has news up the same day its announced in Japan).

Now there has been alot of FFVII (well Final Fantasy around) bashing going on so I want to touch on that. Personally I feel that Square-Enix has been cheapening the original franchise, and that it as lost some of what made it 'good' as the graphics improved, and when the merger happened. While I don't think that FFVII was the best Final Fantasy game ever made (all of them have flaws) it was one of the most ground breaking in terms of the modern RPG (not the RPG all around). It was also one of the first 'big' RPGs that people played, and as such as a much larger following than say Tales of Phantasia or La Pucelle: Tactics. Was FFVII a perfect game, no, but for that matter none of the Final Fantasies are; they just seem to be constantly good enough to be worth buying and playing.

Moving on to FFVIII which alot of people mentioned. I agree that this was one of the better games, however, like all of them it had it's weak points. For alot of people that week point was the battle system itself, and when you are going to be spending about 60-80 hours to beat a game the battle system better be something that you can understand fairly quickly. Also, another big complaint that you hear alot of the time about the game is that it is very tedious to draw all of the magic necessary to increase you stat points, and that the enemies level up with your characters (why should a Bit Bug that you fight when you are level one still be around bugging you when you are level 99?). Story wise, I do agree that it was one of the better ones, and while the plot could have been a little tighter (with the lose ends wrapped up nicer) just about everything that is a major plot point can be figured out if you pay attention. Including the fact that spoiler[Laguna is Squall's father.]. But it did have one really annoying plot hole spoiler[namely, "The guardian forces damaged our memory and that's why we can't remember that we grew up together"] and that annoyed alot of people.

Anyway, I've said just about all I'm going to say on the subject for now. But like I said, I do feel that Square-Enix is cheapening the original game (and the whole series) a bit with all of the things that they have been doing lately, however, if the movie and game turn out good and worth playing then that is not a reason to not go watch the movie or play the game. Ultimately no one is forcing you to watch the movie or play the game, and as such there is not much of a reason to decry them coming out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3